Sign in to follow this  
norman_99

What the heck was going on in Alpha/Beta?

1 minute ago, Mr. Hatty said:

See ya'll in 6-12 months

What makes you think the world will exist in 6 to 12 months?

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

14 minutes ago, Mr. Hatty said:

Just put in my request for refund. I had faith and its been shattered. The state this game was released in is completely unacceptable. I would recommend that those of you who outright purchased the game instead of getting it through game pass do the same thing.

did the same thing - kinda complicated. I had to chat with a MS-Agent (Indian CallCenter?) who directed me to a form i had to fill out. Now it can take up to 72h till approved. i´ll see....

• Like 1

The alpha was on track to end some time in Fall but when COVID hit it seem like MS started rushing the release. There's a possibility MS saw an opportunity with so many people at home to release the sim early but who knows what their logic was. We're still bound by the NDA but trust me majority of testers were vocal about the sim not been ready.

The only silver lining is the team has a lot of feedback from testers and they'll get more from the general public so my guess is we'll see a hotfix fairly quick.

• Like 8

I remember Asobo had all this talk of developing a study level fs labs quality simulation of the a320, that obviously went by the wayside.  Im sure Microsoft is to blame, Asobo are a very capable bunch.  I sent some reports of rather technical inaccuracies during my time with the alpha, I never got a response on anything.  There were some glaring issues with turboprop modelling and I haven't checked to see if any of that got fixed, i doubt it.  It looks like the default aircraft will indeed be trash, just like every other sim before it.  Thank god pmdg and the other high quality developers are working on addons.  At least MS is willing to work with the community, unlike dovetail with their failed  try at a flightsim.  Thank goodness we drove them out, they would have tried their best to ruin this hobby.  At least we have good scenery, weather, and a good modern rendering engine.  In time it will be great, but it was definitely rushed out by the marketing dept im sure.   

• Like 2

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

1 minute ago, Slides said:

What makes you think the world will exist in 6 to 12 months?

I know 2020 has been bad but at least gotta have some faith

• Like 2

15 hours ago, norman_99 said:

I’m trying really hard to stay optimistic about 2020, but I keep finding mind numbingly poor features/decisions/physics that make me wonder what was going on during Alpha/Beta? Was there any constructive feedback or was everyone to busy drooling at the scenery to see the glaring issues?

Unfortunately Caravan, Bonanza, TBM, and King Air remained pretty much as remember them couple months ago untouched. We tried our best to convey Asobo to fix, but it is what it is. I'm still hoping for a fix after release

Edited by 188AHC
Pruned quote
  • Like 4

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

7 minutes ago, Mr. Hatty said:

When I heard this, it was a MASSIVE red flag to me and was almost the point where I did not purchase the game. I kept faith and hope that things in the full release would be better.

And you bought it anyway?  I was in the Alpha and I decided to wait for community reaction before purchase.  I haven't bought it yet.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

15 hours ago, norman_99 said:

I’m trying really hard to stay optimistic about 2020, but I keep finding mind numbingly poor features/decisions/physics that make me wonder what was going on during Alpha/Beta? Was there any constructive feedback or was everyone to busy drooling at the scenery to see the glaring issues?

Just to list a couple.

I was in alpha and totally agree this release was rushed.  I was not happy to hear that it was releasing as soon as it did.  Far too many issues

Edited by 188AHC
Pruned quote
  • Like 2

Mark Javornik

I think Asobo's reach exceeded their grasp.  We know what they wanted to do, but they didn't have enough time to do it.

As for the default aircraft being "trash", they are "good enough" for their intended purpose.  At least the GA aircraft, I don't mess with airliners.

Hook

Larry Hookins

3 minutes ago, LHookins said:

And you bought it anyway?  I was in the Alpha and I decided to wait for community reaction before purchase.  I haven't bought it yet.

Hook

I purchased it in the hopes that at least some of the bugs were fixed in the release build, and just because I know realistically this sim will eventually be the base platform for years to come.  As it stands, however, it just isn't there

• Like 1

Mark Javornik

1 minute ago, markjj said:

I was not happy to hear that it was releasing as soon as it did.

Was anyone?  Usually it's the publisher (Microsoft) who wants it pushed out the door as soon as possible, and the developer (Asobo) wanting to do the best job they can before that happens.  When the publisher is paying the bills, they get to make those decisions.

Hook

Larry Hookins

The testing process we were involved in did not go into great detail about the specific flight dynamics of say a C208. Testers were giving a lot of feedback in more general items but maybe they were not C208 pilots to point to the deficiencies of power/flight dynamics. There were improvements but subtle.

And I do agree that the controller assignment section is too complex. Took me ages to get it sorted. And even now one has to change the profile when changing aircraft or we end up flying a C182 with a side-stick from the previously used A320...I guess we will be back to FSUIPC for this.

I also feel that as a default state this is a level far above all the other sims in the past.

What MS have done along the way is to give space to developers because they were giving feedback on their own efforts and how the sim would kill the aftermarket for addons if the original concept of the entire world modelled would be implemented. So we should wait for the excellent addon developers to start to embellish the sim.

It will be fantastic when we have it all in.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Just now, ShezA said:

The testing process we were involved in did not go into great detail about the specific flight dynamics of say a C208. Testers were giving a lot of feedback in more general items but maybe they were not C208 pilots to point to the deficiencies of power/flight dynamics. There were improvements but subtle.

There were all kind of pilots with all kind of experience, and a lot of feedback regarding different airplanes. Unfortunately, it is what it is

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 minutes ago, markjj said:

I purchased it in the hopes that at least some of the bugs were fixed in the release build

I've been a developer for just long enough (40+ years actually) to have some difficulty believing that what would be released would be significantly better than what we had at the end.  Maybe a couple more bugs fixed, maybe even some optimization, everything else same-same.  Seems like my prediction was accurate.

Live with what we got, I guess, until things get fixed and improved.  Or they will if I get convinced to buy the thing. 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Bug: Cessna 172 when flying at around 3k feet and leaning the mixture, the fuel flow goes UP instead of DOWN... and also C172 feels way underpowered on the climb for an S model.

• Like 1