Sign in to follow this  
pjweihs

NO POWERLINES!

6 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

but no dogs?!

Really, what's up with that?  You'd think by now a new 2020 flight sim would show up for its intial release with absolutely every single thing that is in the real world, and all for $59.95.  What's wrong with them anyway, do they need more technical consultants?

• Like 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

38 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I've been flying for around 20 years and have never used power lines once for VFR navigation! I did use freeways though a lot!

In more remote areas and mountains, high-power transmission lines are very helpful. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StevePHL said:

In more remote areas and mountains, high-power transmission lines are very helpful. 

Frankly I can barely see powerlines especially  in the mountains because we fly at least 5000ft and above. Unless of course one fly in helicopter, but then power line create rather hazard.

Mountains themselves are a good VFR reference point. Also lakes, creeks, highways, railroads, racetracks are good points during the day!

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Y

5 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Mountains themselves are a good VFR reference point. Also lakes, creeks, highways, railroads, racetracks are good points during the day!

Agree, those are all great.  And so are the huge power line towers and the cleared swaths under them.

Edited by StevePHL
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

I’m petitioning Asobo to include the occasional stray three legged dog on the runway. Bears, elephants and giraffe, but no dogs?!

I'll be adding cows to all the dairy farms around here as soon as I figure out how 😁

• Like 1

Of course Power Lines are important for VFR. They are included in the FAA Catenaries.

Power lines claim an average of 2 helicopters a week
• Account for ~5% of all rotorcraft accidents
• Average age 43 years, 4000+ hrs
• 85% occur day VMC
• 30% are fatal

See FAA Advisory Circular and Charting of Transmission Lines & Obstacles on VFR Charts.

Not only Power Lines, a lot of hazard markings are missing in MSFS.
I believe much less are missing in other Flight Simulators with or without addons. "hazards.bgl"

Edited by RamonB
  • Like 3

I don't think it is the END OF THE WORLD that there are NO POWERLINES or ANTENNAE/TOWERS in the sim...wait, why are we yelling again? I will say that both are useful in visual navigation. I mean they are prominently featured on visual charts for a reason. Personally I wouldn't use either as a primary checkpoint, but certainly for cross reference. Here's the thing, though. With aerial imagery turned on in the sim, it's not like you can't see where the powerlines are supposed to be in the sim even if they are not represented by 3d objects right now...so there's that. If you are not using aerial imagery then, yeah, that's not going to help. I do miss the towers, though. I hope they eventually include those for sure.

Chris

34 minutes ago, dobee51 said:

How does the night-lighting work if there's no powerlines?

They're all solar charged LEDs now

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

13 minutes ago, Keto Ketchup said:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinim

Now that light looks exactly like 80% of all night lighting in the sim:  amber, blurry, etc.  I don't care for it myself and hope they can tweat night lighting.

• Like 1

Noel

9 minutes ago, hangar said:

That post was just merged with this post:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/power-lines-antennas-masts-cablecars-gondolas/239534

On 8/19/2020 at 9:18 AM, Shack95 said:

Yes, but only on the alpha/beta Q&A and not in the public one if I remember correctly.

And you are not allowed to talk about it? 😳

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I've been flying for around 20 years and have never used power lines once for VFR navigation! I did use freeways though a lot!

Now that you mention it, I also only used power lines to navigate in sims because of lack of other orientation. IRL I don't think I've ever done that.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

3 minutes ago, tweekz said:

And you are not allowed to talk about it? 😳

I‘m not 100% sure but I’d say rather not. After all the NDA is still in place. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2