Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Airliners may lower your FPS by 10-15 FPS or more

So I just did some testing between a Cessna 172 Skyhawk and some airliners in some cities across North America.  The Cessna 172 was giving me about 37 to 46 FPS in cities.  The 787 gave me about 20 to 30 FPS in the same cities.  And the A320 gave me about 25 to 33 FPS in the same cities and conditions.  My settings are high and my resolution is 1080p.

It looks like Asobo can optimize the airliners more.  I assume other people are experiencing the same?  That GA aircraft give 10 or more FPS better than the airliners?

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I guess this has to be expected.

Airliners ar more complex, both 3D model wise and system wise.

t has always been like this in MSFS and P3D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

And imagine in 3'rd party airports full of ai.

• Upvote 1

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

18 minutes ago, jlund said:

And imagine in 3'rd party airports full of ai.

Yeah, but I assume Asobo will optimize further in the next 6 months.  So perhaps their optimization can offset the high fidelity of 3rd party environments in the coming months.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I hope so, cause I would really see developers like AIG make ai for the sim. But even if they (Asobo) optimize it,flying a PMDG 747 with an airport full of AI, is bound to take a hit on framerates. It does in FSX and P3D and it will most certainly do the same in MSFS. I'm not complaining, just stating a fact 🙂

Edited by jlund

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Lets see when PMDG comes along to MSFS hopefully in the next 6 months. If I can have the fps I get in P3dv5, hopefully a bit better then I`ll be happy.

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

While it's sort of common sense that Asobo will improve the performance with upcoming patches, it's also wishful thinking. The fact they released it in this state is not really a good sign. Performance optimization in sims is super tough, and people are already complaining about low LOD, blurry textures ect. - there probably is no magic sauce to fix performance, in contrary, concerning the underlying tech, it's highly alarming that the sim is already stutter ridden - in it's most vanilla form, without ANY addons. Low FPS is one thing, but if your engine has severe stutter/pause issues, the problem lies a lot deeper. X-Plane has microstutter issues (mostly caused by add-ons though), and Laminar had to rewrite the entire rendering engine (Vulkan switch) to finally fix those. So while there's hoping, there's also a chance FS2020 will always be plagued by stutters.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

3 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

While it's sort of common sense that Asobo will improve the performance with upcoming patches, it's also wishful thinking. The fact they released it in this state is not really a good sign. Performance optimization in sims is super tough, and people are already complaining about low LOD, blurry textures ect. - there probably is no magic sauce to fix performance, in contrary, concerning the underlying tech, it's highly alarming that the sim is already stutter ridden - in it's most vanilla form, without ANY addons. Low FPS is one thing, but if your engine has severe stutter/pause issues, the problem lies a lot deeper. X-Plane has microstutter issues (mostly caused by add-ons though), and Laminar had to rewrite the entire rendering engine (Vulkan switch) to finally fix those. So while there's hoping, there's also a chance FS2020 will always be plagued by stutters.

Just remind me again how many versions how many years it took X-Plane to implement  Vulkan? 

Asobo have already announced plans to upgrade to DX12. We’re on the 2nd day of release give them a chance man jeez, enough  with the 14 year old girl drama posts.

5 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

Just remind me again how many versions how many years it took X-Plane to implement  Vulkan? 

Less than a year.

6 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

Asobo have already announced plans to upgrade to DX12.

That's cute. Why not start with DX12 which has been on the market for 5 years?

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 minute ago, Colonel X said:

Less than a year.

That's cute. Why not start with DX12 which has been on the market for 5 years?

Less than a year? That cute, XP 11 came out November 2016 pal not a year that is it. MFS has been out 2 days, some perspective maybe.

You would have to ask them that but the point is they plan to make improvements over the next 5 years, have some patience.

• Upvote 3

Given the fact that it took me over 10 years to get FSX running balanced on acceptable FPS, many of us will not live up to see the same thing happening to MSMFS. But hey, nostalgia. 🤣

On 8/19/2020 at 8:00 AM, abrams_tank said:

So I just did some testing between a Cessna 172 Skyhawk and some airliners in some cities across North America.  The Cessna 172 was giving me about 37 to 46 FPS in cities.  The 787 gave me about 20 to 30 FPS in the same cities.  And the A320 gave me about 25 to 33 FPS in the same cities and conditions.  My settings are high and my resolution is 1080p.

It looks like Asobo can optimize the airliners more.  I assume other people are experiencing the same?  That GA aircraft give 10 or more FPS better than the airliners?

I pretty much experience the same. Performance with the airliners is poor, and the other settings don't seem to have too much influence on this. With the "high" preset I get around 20 - 30 fps, with the "low" preset 35 fps in more complex areas of the world. In all cases it feels stuttery, particularly in the 787. The glass cockpit refresh option does give some improvement, but it doesn't solve the issue. I am always limited by the main thread in such situations. Maybe future addon aircraft will find a way to outperform the default ones, but that would be the first time in flight sim history 🙂 At this point, the sim looks fantastic but I am dissapointed by the very limited performance reserves it gives when thinking of future addons such as airports, weather, traffic, complex airliners etc.

On 8/19/2020 at 8:00 AM, abrams_tank said:

I see the same, and im not surprised at all. Its pretty much been like with every flight simulator ever. 

• Like 1

Depends somewhat on the particular aircraft but generally airliners always have lower FPS than GA, they are more complex, so don't expect any performance upgrades. Wait until the really complex 3rd party airliners are released, then you will see a much bigger drop.