Sign in to follow this  
patrickbc

Really not that impressed by photogrammetry.

I hate to add to the negativity of this release, as I still believe this is the next flight sim for many years to come (when the addons arrive, and the bugs have been fixed).

However Im not really impressed by photogrammetry, with a 100mbps internet and ultra setting. Even close to the airport (4nm, 1400ft) the buildings between me and the runway, just look quite bad, black and spiky/blocky. Hoping this gets fixed. 

(Airport EKCH, and photogrammetry of Copenhagen)

(Also whats up with the non-existing option to preset a visibility? Making IFR practice close to impossible)7EiiuSq.jpg0YmgKpb.jpg

Edited by patrickbc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Same here I have a similar connection to yours and have also noticed this, especially when the visibility is quite good and you can see out into the horizon. It really kills the immersion to see spiky buildings that haven't been rendered yet. What I find is a better workaround is to use the Manual Cache mode and select the tiles and let the sim download it, that way when you fly around you won't see those ugly and deformed looking buildings.

But hopefully they will improve on that and many other parts of the sim. Even the Rolling/Manual Cache is experiencing extreme unresponsiveness when using a large cache file. Makes it almost impossible to create a new region due to this. Start adding more than one custom region and you will see it slow down to a crawl. I have about 5 custom regions made using the manual cache. Now whenever I make a new one, I have to wait at least 10-20 minutes before I see the actual map show up. The entire experience is extremely laggy and bogged down.

Edited by captain420
  • Upvote 3

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

15 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Same here I have a similar connection to yours and have also noticed this, especially when the visibility is quite good and you can see out into the horizon. It really kills the immersion to see spiky buildings that haven't been rendered yet. What I find is a better workaround is to use the Manual Cache mode and select the tiles and let the sim download it, that way when you fly around you won't see those ugly and deformed looking buildings.

But hopefully they will improve on that and many other parts of the sim. Even the Rolling/Manual Cache is experience extreme unresponsiveness when using a large cache file. Makes it almost impossible to create a new region due to this. Start adding more than one custom region and you will see it slow down to a crawl. I have about 5 custom regions made using the manual cache. Now whenever I make a new one, I have to wait at least 10-20 minutes before I see the actual map show up. The entire experience is extremely laggy and bogged down.

I’ll follow up with a picture where i High level cache it.. However I Think Its more a level of detail problem, or maybe more vram helps. 

Also task manager only shows a 2-3 mb/s usage from the flight simulator, weird Its not pulling every mb it can.

or maybe the servers are just overloaded I dont know.

Hope I'm not sidetracking the thread...captain420, when you pre-load the scenery can you load it to any chosen drive on your system, or is the download location fixed?

Edited by Pathfinder633

Well at least this is indicative that good third party developers will still have a high degree of involvement in this sim. To be honest, I would actually have been upset if the world was terribly much better than it is currently depicted, since this sim has always been about third party developers and especially on the versions over the last two decades, a source of income for the pro organisations.

If you feel badly done by in your neck of the woods, although I have not seen my home city yet, I will be over the moon if my local city of Benalla Victoria Australia looks anything remotely like the pre-existing ultra low res satellite imagery bouncing around online. Realistically I am not expecting anything much more than what I got in FSX with a bit of extra bling and updated graphics! Heck if there is even a few buildings there true to real life I will be stunned! 

Photogammetry seems to be a mixed bag at best.  I thought Seattle looked quite decent, but others like Boulder CO left something to be desired.  It's the "Icarus Simulator", don't fly too close to what you want to look at!  Looking forward to improvements, either in the simulator handling, Bing itself or 3PDs.

• Upvote 1

I would also say the resolution of some of the regular ground tiles used in the simulator appear to be at a lower level than what's available in Bing.  In Bing, I can get far greater ground detail than what I seem to be able to achieve in the simulator.  Hope this can be improved also.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, captain420 said:

But hopefully they will improve on that and many other parts of the sim. Even the Rolling/Manual Cache is experience extreme unresponsiveness when using a large cache file. Makes it almost impossible to create a new region due to this. Start adding more than one custom region and you will see it slow down to a crawl. I have about 5 custom regions made using the manual cache. Now whenever I make a new one, I have to wait at least 10-20 minutes before I see the actual map show up. The entire experience is extremely laggy and bogged down.

Now I've cached it (see pic in original post). It didn't make a change, which rules out internet speed/server load. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, flying_w said:

Photogammetry seems to be a mixed bag at best.  I thought Seattle looked quite decent, but others like Boulder CO left something to be desired.  It's the "Icarus Simulator", don't fly too close to what you want to look at!  Looking forward to improvements, either in the simulator handling, Bing itself or 3PDs.

Well I almost feel opposite. When I fly really close, the photogrammetry looks great. But from a medium distance of 2 - 6nm not so much.

JlKAwE5.jpg

This is the same area as marked in red on the original photo. Looks fine up close.

Edited by patrickbc
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, flying_w said:

I would also say the resolution of some of the regular ground tiles used in the simulator appear to be at a lower level than what's available in Bing.  In Bing, I can get far greater ground detail than what I seem to be able to achieve in the simulator.  Hope this can be improved also.

Yeah, I too noticed this, it's just not 'sharp'. Doesn't make a difference above 5000ft+, however, VFR flying at 2500ft, and it's noticeable. 

• Like 2

After having cached it (rules out internet speed/server load problem), and flown close to it (to rule out bad photogrammetry data).

My two main hypothesis' are:
The level of detail radius is simply to small.
My 6GB of Vram is not enough. (resolution is  3840x1024, which is approximately ordinary 1440p) 

• Upvote 1

It's happening to me with 11 gig of ram so it's not your 6gb video card

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

2 minutes ago, suchw said:

Same.

2 minutes ago, suchw said:

Well most be a level of detail problem then 😢