Sign in to follow this  
dave belsey

Yet another opinion of MSFS

My thoughts on the new Microsoft Flight Simulator which may or may not assist anybody who is confused by the conflicting reports to be found on this and other sites.

I was an Alpha/Beta tester and have bought the Premium Deluxe version of the software.

My current pc specs include:

i7 8700k @ 4.8
GTX 1080ti
32GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000
Philips 43 inch monitor @ 3840x2160

I fully expected to buy a new computer after release of MSFS, in the belief that the processor and graphic card would be insufficient to run the sim to my satisfaction.

The software installation recommended ULTRA settings with this hardware and I believe the only change I have made is to set Render Scaling at 100 - in Nvidia Control Panel I have set Image Sharpening at 0.7 and locked the frame rate at 30.

I am astonished at how well the hardware displays the sim with these settings .... I have just taken these screenshots randomly at Nice to illustrate:

Nice.jpg

Nice2.jpg

Nice3.jpg

Bear in mind that these were taken running the default simulator out of the box.

Does the simulator need work - yes of course it does.

Do the aircraft need work - certainly, but they are very flyable if you don't make too much reliance on the autopilot.

Will it be fixed over time, and improved by 3rd party involvement - without a doubt.

Will I be using this in preference to my other simulators - without a doubt, no contest.

Dave.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, dave belsey said:

Will I be using this in preference to my other simulators - without a doubt, no contest.

+1 

Great pics, I've been an Alpha/Beta tester like you and I am equally astonished that my ancient machine can handle this sim, with clouds and building textures on ultra and all the rest on high

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Thanks Dave, a very reassuring post. Your hardware is very similar to my own but it will be a few months before I commit.

What’s your download speed?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It's nice to hear a positive feedback like this.

The pictures look good.

What I noticed is that the 30 FPS lock has no effect yet, with 99% GPU load the FPS are at 25, and they'll probably go down once inside the cockpit,  but still not bad for a 4k monitor with that video card!

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What’s your download speed?

Ray,

In theory maximum 120Mbps, just ran Speedtest and got 117.93

Dave.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dave belsey said:

Ray,

In theory maximum 120Mbps, just ran Speedtest and got 117.93

Dave.

Thanks Dave. That's probably helping draw the scenery quickly. Mine is around 46Mbps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks Dave. That's probably helping draw the scenery quickly. Mine is around 46Mbps.

Wow. That's like a fairy tale for me. LTE (no fibre out in the country) at 10-20Mpbs.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

15 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Wow. That's like a fairy tale for me. LTE (no fibre out in the country) at 10-20Mpbs.

Stay with P3D Ian, plenty are.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks, Ray. I fully intend to and probably v4.5 for a little longer, until most of the bugs are out of v5.

Despite my system getting older, I am still quite happy with the somewhat lower FPS that I get in some situations.

"FPS is not everything".

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

12 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Stay with P3D Ian, plenty are.

I am flying MSFS with an Internet speed of 7.6 Mbps.. and guess what, it works just fine 🙂

• Like 2

Bert

Fix the interface and trim issuses think MSFS 2020 will be good.  Its replacing fsx for lots of users.  I have 4k tv running with 2080rtx with i5 8600k 16gb ram does 35-40 fps with some minor downgrades.  The internet speed 5 mbps all be only using or bing orthos and weather updates. 

..question guys, is FS2020 Multi-Core Multi-Thread, and if yes, Dave how many Cores it used ??? 

Cheers

Yair

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am flying MSFS with an Internet speed of 7.6 Mbps.. and guess what, it works just fine 🙂

But where Bert? Open countryside or over New York City? Location appears to be everything.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 8/19/2020 at 5:18 AM, dave belsey said:

My thoughts on the new Microsoft Flight Simulator which may or may not assist anybody who is confused by the conflicting reports to be found on this and other sites.

Same specs as mine, are you seeing in issues with rendering ahead and around the aircraft as others have reported

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Your recommendation for Ultra is wierd.  I use a 9900k, 2080ti, 32gb memory and it recommended Medium.  I wonder if the program is looking at something else to judge.

Sean Green