Sign in to follow this  
bta122

FSX addon aircraft in fs 2020?

4 hours ago, keithb77 said:

This is how I do it, (instructions found on the web)

"first go here and download the build.py file: https://github.com/wpine215/msfs-a320neo
then make sure you have python 3.6 or newer to run that .py file
then go into your MSFS Community folder and make a new folder for the plane you want to bring over from FSX, something like manfredjahn-c47 for example
then drop all the FSX add-on files inside this new folder as if it was FSX's main directory, make sure the folders look something like SimObjects/Airplanes/your plane, then drop the build.py and some random manifest.json from another default plane in the main folder
run the build.py to create the layout.json file
edit the manifest.json file to match the plane"

Best results are from pure-FSX models that work well in P3Dv4, have 3D gauges and don't rely on any DLLs.

Thanks, will have a go at this later.

Mostly jets don't work...try slewing into the air to see if it airstarts.

Or copy the CFGs from the CJ4 - but this will be complicated.

4 hours ago, keithb77 said:

Best results are from pure-FSX models that work well in P3Dv4, have 3D gauges and don't rely on any DLLs.

Hm, no DLLs? So I guess porting the F18 from the Acceleration expansion is out of the question?

Yet to find anything that works. Click spots, gauges etc. But, been taking from P3Dv4? 64bit.

Fixed it,needed to add engine.cfg and also put that on the layout.json

Does anyone now how to get more power from the engines?

26 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Yet to find anything that works. Click spots, gauges etc. But, been taking from P3Dv4? 64bit.

P3D uses a different format than FSX or something 

6 hours ago, keithb77 said:

This is how I do it, (instructions found on the web)

"first go here and download the build.py file: https://github.com/wpine215/msfs-a320neo
then make sure you have python 3.6 or newer to run that .py file
then go into your MSFS Community folder and make a new folder for the plane you want to bring over from FSX, something like manfredjahn-c47 for example
then drop all the FSX add-on files inside this new folder as if it was FSX's main directory, make sure the folders look something like SimObjects/Airplanes/your plane, then drop the build.py and some random manifest.json from another default plane in the main folder
run the build.py to create the layout.json file
edit the manifest.json file to match the plane"

Not an addon aircraft, but wow that was easy, ported the P51 from FSX ( from acceleration? I don't remember, I got it from the steam version). The radio displays are broken, that seems to be it. The gauges move really fast, that might be tied to the flight model.

4hg3FVv.png

n49bC5r.png

x9bPExn.png

bYH15aJ.png

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

P3D uses a different format than FSX or something 

Yes, the MDL file format changed.

Apparently you can convert the MDL file, but that's another big step...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Now, to figure out how to get the ATC to say the plane type, it won't read anything I put in that section in aircraft.cfg. I wonder how that's handled, considering it's Text to Speech.

Yeah, as someone said above, some jet aircraft don't seem to work out of the box. The F-18 just doesn't move, slewing in the air, it is just frozen, none of the control surfaces work. They must have really changed how jets work in MSFS. Though i didn't try switching to the legacy FSX flight model in the options menu.

The CRJ-700 does work, no gauges but it moves and has physics, but just moves really slow.

Edited by Tuskin38

9 hours ago, keithb77 said:

Still having more success with the simple python script, the converter app doesn't seem to do anything more than create the json file?

Either will work. The converter tool will create the directory structure and both JSON files, as well as the JSON files that accompany each DDS file (which, while existing in the official packages, don't seem to have any influence on whether the simobject works correctly in-sim). The python script only builds the layout.json file, so you still have to create the directory structure and the manifest by hand.

I didn't write either, I've used both.

The converter tool is a quick one click method to get the JSON files written and the folders created when tweaking a model. I can keep the 'development' version of the simobject in a working folder and then just keep the conversion tool running. Whenever I make a change in the source, I just delete the package in Community and click on the convert button again and load MSFS to test my change.

It is fair so say that actually, neither of these are 'conversion' tools - they don't convert anything, they just structure the package so that MSFS can read it by adding the JSON files that allow MSFS's virtual file system to recognize and apply the package contents.

There's also a tool in the SDK, called fspackagetool.exe that also does this. Unfortunately, the page in the SDK docs that SHOULD have the XML definitions for the tool is, so far, blank, lol...

PaxIvSc.png

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Hey, I'd like to have one of those.  The ultimate low and slow machine.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

1 minute ago, dobee51 said:

Didn't it only have like one gauge??

Yeah, but it doesn't seem to work in MSFS.

4 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Yeah, but it doesn't seem to work in MSFS.

I think if you add the systems.cfg to your package (you will have to update the layout.json as well to include this file in the virtual file system) from a default aircraft, like one of the LSAs, you will get an airspeed indicator on the outside view at least. I haven't totally nailed it down, but that can be a helpful stopgap.

• Upvote 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT