Sign in to follow this  
norman_99

Why adjusting control sensitivity is not the answer

4 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Rob--what's the trick to make the .cfg mods work?  Do you have to switch to the legacy flight model/mode?

No.  I made some config tweaks that worked with Modern model.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

15 minutes ago, robert young said:

I'm in the middle of some flight model tweaks for the Bonanza

This is very exciting... I hope you don't mind many of us have been hoping you'd be lured back into working on some models 😉

Ahem...Duke in MSFS... Thanks! haha 🤞

• Like 2

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Unfortunately I do not have ownership or control over the old installer files as they are dual copyright. RealAir is dead and I have no control over that. It's a complicated business and I can't go into it. In any case it would be a really major undertaking to convert those aircraft. Sorry.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

7 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

This is very exciting... I hope you don't mind many of us have been hoping you'd be lured back into working on some models 😉

Ahem...Duke in MSFS... Thanks! haha 🤞

<Dave takes his ruler out and smacks cw on the knuckles> Back away from the genius!! Leave him be...no pressure, Rob <coddling Rob>

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robert young said:

Unfortunately I do not have ownership or control over the old installer files as they are dual copyright. RealAir is dead and I have no control over that. It's a complicated business and I can't go into it. In any case it would be a really major undertaking to convert those aircraft. Sorry.

No worries, I am looking forward to your Bonanza updates! Will be great!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

I am looking forward to your Bonanza updates! Will be great!

Ditto! I’m very excited to see how the bonanza will fly after the new flight model, it will probably be the first look we have into what a properly sorted flight model in the new sim will be like, since the high tier 3PD’s are hopefully starting completely from scratch in all aspects and will unfortunately be quite a while longer... 

Edited by High_Alpha

19 minutes ago, High_Alpha said:

Ditto! I’m very excited to see how the bonanza will fly after the new flight model, it will probably be the first look we have into what a properly sorted flight model in the new sim will be like, since the high tier 3PD’s are hopefully starting completely from scratch in all aspects and will unfortunately be quite a while longer... 

I won't be able to work miracles in a few days. All I can do for the moment is calm things down and make basic controls a little more predictable. The Bonanza is a fantastic aircraft (in the real world), but in the sim it is underpowered, has too much drag and there are multiple issues with mixture, prop, power curves, fuel flow, engine response and a host of other things.

For the time being I won't be able to address all those things as I am still learning the syntax of some of the cfg entries.

I'm also discovering that a lot of unexplained aircraft movements even in totally still air appears to be hard coded and I cannot find any weather related parameters that control it.

Edited by robert young
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

4 minutes ago, robert young said:

I won't be able to work miracles in a few days. All I can do for the moment is calm things down and make basic controls a little more predictable. The Bonanza is a fantastic aircraft (in the real world), but in the sim it is underpowered, has too much drag and there are multiple issues with mixture, prop, power curves, fuel flow, engine response and a host of other things.

For the time being I won't be able to address all those things as I am still learning the syntax of some of the cfg entries.

I'm also discovering that a lot of unexplained aircraft movements even in totally still air appears to be hard coded and I cannot find any weather related parameters that control it.

We need some genius to tweak flight models !

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

6 minutes ago, robert young said:

I'm glad to see you working on it.  Thank you.

Did you get the SDK?  Is it at all helpful?

7 minutes ago, robert young said:

I'm also discovering that a lot of unexplained aircraft movements even in totally still air

I suspect the MSFS air is never totally still.  Plus there's some random motion going on all the time that doesn't affect course or altitude.  You might call it Brownian motion as this is what it acts like.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I'm glad to see you working on it.  Thank you.

Did you get the SDK?  Is it at all helpful?

I suspect the MSFS air is never totally still.  Plus there's some random motion going on all the time that doesn't affect course or altitude.  You might call it Brownian motion as this is what it acts like.

Hook

No SDK yet but of course I should and will. Too stuck into the cfg for now. Yes Brownian motion definitely exists, but perhaps not at the level this sim is demonstrating!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SceneryFX said:

I'm glad it is not doing that for everyone, but I have doubts. 

Let me try again. The plane turns invisible, explodes in a rampant cessation of invisible particle effects which then become magnetized and somehow automatically come back together. It is in the coming back together where the plane is suddenly at 90 degrees. I hope that clears it up.

4 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

OK so TBM has problem with static lateral stability in rough air?

So I took the TBM out like I did the Baron. I did two test videos (and thanks to those that directed me to the Nvidia Shadowplay recorder, it works much better)... Like with the Baron, my roll sensitivity in sim is set to 0% (so default) and the pitch is -50% based on reduced throw of the controller.  Rudder is -20% and is pretty twitchy on the ground as has been observed by basically everyone...

In the first test, I did a circuit.

In the second test, I did a stability test by going to 5,500' at 200 kts and then testing leaving it alone, then rolling and pitching. I found it to be quite stable, basically flying where I pointed it. If I roll left 30 degrees, it stays there.

• Like 3

i dont know, this is reality and looks like how i land in MSFS 😂

maybe he just need to adjust control sensitivity ? 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robert young said:

No SDK yet but of course I should and will. Too stuck into the cfg for now. Yes Brownian motion definitely exists, but perhaps not at the level this sim is demonstrating!

Robert, your magic would be greatly appreciated.  My avatar for many years now has been my favorite aircraft of all time in flight simulation.  I'm sure you might recognize it.

Ryan

Just now, rjack1282 said:

Robert, your magic would be greatly appreciated.  My avatar for many years now has been my favorite aircraft of all time in flight simulation.  I'm sure you might recognize it.

Love the avatar! Thank you.