Sign in to follow this  
callum3242

Does this performance look right to you?

I was really looking forward to this sim but I am struggling to run it and I am not sure if it's me or the sim.

i7 8550u quad core 4ghz

Nvidia GTX 1050

16gb ram

1tb SSD

More than 100mb/s download internet connection.

These are all above the minimum spec and similar to recommended in my eyes.

However on medium to low settings all I can achieve is 30fps maximum with Vsync off, and that is at a small airport, such as Zakinthos LGZA. At Heathrow for example I will get 10. I have turned off all the fancy lens glare, reflections etc as they're not my cup of tea... I appreciate I won't get the best results with my setup but am I wrong in expecting more from the sim?

I can run ETS2 max settings at 60fps, and GTA V above medium settings at 40-50fps and my computer doesn't blink an eye, but FS2020 sends my GPU to a constant 100% and often the CPU to 100% as well.

Screen res in the sim set to the biggest it'll go, 1920x1080.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Edited by callum3242

Yes, you're trying to run a resource heavy game on a low end 3 years old laptop. 
Your CPU can turbo at 4ghz for like 2 seconds before thermal throttling.

Minimal requirements also mean that you'll be able to run it at minimal resolution, but on a laptop...mhh
At which resolution are you trying to run the sim?

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

2 minutes ago, Martin Byrde said:

ETS2 and GTA 5 are not 2020 Full World/Real Weather simulators

Gta 5 could run on a toaster, no physics, all scripted damage and such.

GarbagePoster

Screen res is set to 1920x1080.

Is it really a low end laptop though?  HP 15-bc403sa - but with extra ram and swapped HDD to SSD. It's only a year old.

i7 quad core 4ghz, GTX 1050, 16gb ram.

I'm not looking for ultra and all the fancy lens flare / reflections and shadows etc but it just feels I should be getting better performance. In P3D I would be achieving say 40fps at least at the same airport, though granted Heathrow would struggle.

Maybe I should sell this one and go for a better one... unfortunately due to job I travel a lot so a desktop PC just would not get the same use.

Edited by callum3242

If you havent tried yet, try to set the renderingscale to 80 or below, it can make a big difference in fps.

Edited by OHN767

Your GPU is a big bottleneck. Even a full-sized GTX 1050 isn't gonna cut it in this game. I don't know all the specs on an 855U, but I'd suspect it lags behind as well. 

Looks like I have some shopping to do then. Thanks for your input, just needed a second opinion to gauge what I wanted I could expect.

1 hour ago, callum3242 said:

Screen res is set to 1920x1080.

Is it really a low end laptop though?  HP 15-bc403sa - but with extra ram and swapped HDD to SSD. It's only a year old.

i7 quad core 4ghz, GTX 1050, 16gb ram.

I'm not looking for ultra and all the fancy lens flare / reflections and shadows etc but it just feels I should be getting better performance. In P3D I would be achieving say 40fps at least at the same airport, though granted Heathrow would struggle.

Maybe I should sell this one and go for a better one... unfortunately due to job I travel a lot so a desktop PC just would not get the same use.

It's not a bad laptop or anything, but for gaming with a 1050, you have to be realistic.
Gaming laptop are only worth if you have no other option IMO, with what you spend on a gaming laptop you can build 2 high end gaming desktops at least.

GarbagePoster