Sign in to follow this  
omarsmak30

Increase the resolution of photogrammetry autogen

Hello, 

I have noticed that, the resolution of the photogrammetry building will only increase if I am in very short distance from these buildings, you can see this photo to know what I mean:

c226426d166eb02d5f98cd9d5f0fe87842bc16b1

You can see the buildings resolution is low, it only gets better if I get really close.

Does somebody know which settings that can improve this? 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

That’s awful looking... hope it’s not “just how it is”!...

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

For this location, yes, it is just "how it is". I am running the sim on ultra settings and this is what you get (I live near T.O. so I regularly use CYTZ in the sim). This is likely just the result of photogrammetry with a bunch of missing data. All tech involves trade-offs. With photogrammetry what you get is the ability to automate the construction of 3D models. The trade-off is that the quality depends on the amount of data you have to fuse together to produce the final result. It would be best if someone just did a quick pass over the scene by hand to fix the problems. The trade-off, again, is that "quick" still takes quite a while and unless you have an army of 3D artists, doing this for a lot of the world will take a very long time. Lots of good stuff in this sim overall. Lots of not-so-good stuff as well. Overall, I think it is worth the money, given the general quality and scope of the work. However, you have to take the good with the bad.

It wasn't like this early on....and we begged for a change but it didn't happen for release.  I have no idea why....  You can have the fastest PC but it will still look like that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 minute ago, ryanbatcund said:

It wasn't like this early on....and we begged for a change but it didn't happen for release.  I have no idea why....  You can have the fastest PC but it will still look like that.

How was it "better" earlier on? I'm curious about  how or why they would change the process of 3D construction and/or texturing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jeff_Fortuna said:

How was it "better" earlier on? I'm curious about  how or why they would change the process of 3D construction and/or texturing.

I can't say...NDA is basically still there for alpha/beta.  It didn't look like the shot above though!

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I can't say...NDA is basically still there for alpha/beta.  It didn't look like the shot above though!

Fair enough... A but surprising, though. I wonder what they were initially doing? My guess is more stuff was done by hand and they are trying to move away from that, for obvious reasons... Or they could just be using less data in release for performance reasons.

Just now, Jeff_Fortuna said:

Fair enough... A but surprising, though. I wonder what they were initially doing? My guess is more stuff was done by hand and they are trying to move away from that, for obvious reasons... Or they could just be using less data in release for performance reasons.

If I were to generalize I'd say it was initially a tech demo and they just made the world to look like quality over fps.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I get this also, flying over Ottawa. Is it because of bandwidth? Buildings look like pyramids before taking shape. I saw  some youtube streamers that don’t have that problem. Possibly because they have a high end PC.

Is not only Ottawa. It is the case with any photogrammetry city. And is also has nothing to do with the bandwidth, is just how it is apparently. However, I do understand that but would have been nice if possible if it was configurable to control the resolution that can work for the pc.

Is Microsoft/Asobo aware of this or I need to report it? 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Just now, omarsmak30 said:

Is not only Ottawa. It is the case with any photogrammetry city. And is also has nothing to do with the bandwidth, is just how it is apparently. However, I do understand that but would have been nice if possible if it was configurable to control the resolution that can work for the pc.

I say it is always good to report it. At least they know then what is important for people.

• Like 1

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

I get this also, flying over Ottawa. Is it because of bandwidth? Buildings look like pyramids before taking shape. I saw  some youtube streamers that don’t have that problem. Possibly because they have a high end PC.

5 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

There is nothing to report. They use Bing 3D maps and that's the quality you have there. You can download it and see for yourself. Had they used Google Earth, we would be looking at much higher quality photogrammetry. And much better ground textures.

• Upvote 1

sorry for double post.. how does cache work? Would we able to download the places we fly over and it saves to hh?So there won’t be any loading of buildings?