Sign in to follow this  
qacmemphis

X-Plane vs MFS 2020

I just downloaded MFS and played it for an hour or so. For people who are wondering, how it compares to X-Plane 11 - it really doesn't. MFS feels like a game. The only hyped thing about - the 2 PB graphics - they are surely better than X-Plane, but nothing amazing (I am talking not about special places like N.Y. or so, but actual random cities, which were not hand crafted). MFS doesnt have (or at least I wasnt able to find) "Cold startup", the controls with keyboard and mouse are possible, but only by using keyboard to steer (system doesnt seem to detect GlovePIE virtual joystick). Rudder also goes full left - center - full right. No inbetween like in X-Plane. Of course, if you have full joystick or even hotas you dont care about that, but I do. The camera controls are very dull, overally it feels just like a game. If you like X-Plane for its simulation capabilities and not graphical awesomeness - dont even look at MFS. The menu too looks like it belongs to a game, not a proper simulator. Personally I missed mostly the "Cold start" option and mouse steering.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

I cringe so much reading these game/sim comparisons. Define what's a game and define what's a simulator so that we can understand what the hell you are talking about.

You will start cold and dark if you pick parking spot in an airport

• Like 19
  • Upvote 11

1 hour ago, qacmemphis said:

MFS doesnt have (or at least I wasnt able to find) "Cold startup"

You have to start at a parking spot,

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, qacmemphis said:

I just downloaded MFS and played it for an hour or so. For people who are wondering, how it compares to X-Plane 11 - it really doesn't. MFS feels like a game. The only hyped thing about - the 2 PB graphics - they are surely better than X-Plane, but nothing amazing (I am talking not about special places like N.Y. or so, but actual random cities, which were not hand crafted). MFS doesnt have (or at least I wasnt able to find) "Cold startup", the controls with keyboard and mouse are possible, but only by using keyboard to steer (system doesnt seem to detect GlovePIE virtual joystick). Rudder also goes full left - center - full right. No inbetween like in X-Plane. Of course, if you have full joystick or even hotas you dont care about that, but I do. The camera controls are very dull, overally it feels just like a game. If you like X-Plane for its simulation capabilities and not graphical awesomeness - dont even look at MFS. The menu too looks like it belongs to a game, not a proper simulator. Personally I missed mostly the "Cold start" option and mouse steering.

Fair enough your points but remember the years and work that gone into x plane 11 the updates, in fact for me x plane was sometimes unflyable before vulcan came out and that been so recent, I'd say give this new sim a chance it hasn't even been 48 hours and people are coming to some conclusions without even giving it a chance.

my opinion is the complete opposite to yours, I've got my pilots license and going for commercial next month so i hope what i say has a little backing. X plane just seemed boring once your up in the air it was static. MSFS 2020 at least replicates to what seems like thermals or just dirty rough air most of the times, your'e never constantly flying just in a straight line you have to constantly trim the A/C, X plane i just left it and it felt like an airbus just constantly re trimming itself and flying straight in a cessna lol.

for me MSFS2020 has more potential than any other sim that has come out. Out of the box it blows any sim out with regards to visual and flight dynamics, i get the autopilot issues are there but thats nothing more than a update for a fix.

P.S there is a cold startup function you have to start at a GATE. I'd say explore a little more because half the things you've mentioned the sim definitely does do out the box and you might fall in love with it.

Edited by Bilal2104
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 3

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

3 minutes ago, cepact said:

I cringe so much reading these game/sim comparisons. Define what's a game and define what's a simulator so that we can understand what the hell you are talking about.

You will start cold and dark if you pick parking spot in an airport

Thats what I want to know too. What defines a sim vs a game because as far as I'm concerned every game related thing can be done in XP. I can use an Xbox controller, I can crash and bounce, I can invert a jet, I can land at ridiculous speeds etc

• Like 3

At the end of the day we're just sitting in our comfy chairs in front of a PC screen

• Like 15
  • Upvote 5

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

And you 'SIM' with mouse?

What part of the MSFS 2020 camera is not better than X-Plane default camera? It comes with dynamic headshake etc. which in X-Plane you need 3rd party plugin for.

As for the menus etc. it's the up-to-date UI design methodology for 2020s. Just like Windows 10 UI vs Windows 95...

To get a cold and dark start up simply choose gate or ramp as a start spot instead of runway. You won't start a plane cold and dark on a runway anyways.

All summarized, I see you're seeing change which disrupts your usual way of doing things and does not fit in your accustomed routine that you've formed for years or decades. This is to be expected for a fast-moving technology world.

• Like 18
  • Upvote 4

Zicheng Cai

After one hour of flight? 😀

I have flown it for two months and love it, the other games are uninstalled.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

2 hours ago, qacmemphis said:

So because of the menus and the camera it looks like a game.....you don't like it?

Just so we are clear....the menus and the camera get you all riled up?

You mentioned the flight model in maybe 2 sentences...care to elaborate? 

The cold start and rudder steering with the keyboard do look like they could cause issues for people.

Do you feel more like a real pilot that you play on a "real simulator" like xplane?

• Like 12

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

2 hours ago, qacmemphis said:

The menu too looks like it belongs to a game, not a proper simulator.

I'm starting to think that flight simmers are masochists. They love the old and not intuitive UI, low fps, 300+ hours of tweaking and thousands of $ spent on add-ons. 

Edited by andrecarli737
  • Like 26
  • Upvote 6

imyj2f-5.png

6 minutes ago, andrecarli737 said:

I'm starting to think that flight simmers are masochists. They love the old and not intuitive UI, low fps, 300+ hours of tweaking and thousands of $ spent on add-ons. 

Good luck then with MSFS without addons 🤪

Edited by rob0203

I get what you’re saying, and I felt that way at first too. But I fixed it to make it more like X-Plane and now it’s a blast 🙂

(1) Cold & Dark - If you select a parking space rather than an active runway, it starts with the airplane cold and dark.

(2) Camera settings - I remapped my hat switch to look around and snap back to the original assigned view #1. I also reconfigured the default custom view look options to the same x-plane key bindings (num pad 0-9) and it works perfectly.

(3) GUI looking too game like - I get it, and it does. But that doesn’t impact or inhibit gameplay. You can still select every feature you need. And it’s clean. And it also attracts non-hardcore simmers so that the franchise will survive.