Sign in to follow this  
qacmemphis

X-Plane vs MFS 2020

4 hours ago, qacmemphis said:

I just downloaded MFS and played it for an hour or so. For people who are wondering, how it compares to X-Plane 11 - it really doesn't. MFS feels like a game. The only hyped thing about - the 2 PB graphics - they are surely better than X-Plane, but nothing amazing (I am talking not about special places like N.Y. or so, but actual random cities, which were not hand crafted). MFS doesnt have (or at least I wasnt able to find) "Cold startup", the controls with keyboard and mouse are possible, but only by using keyboard to steer (system doesnt seem to detect GlovePIE virtual joystick). Rudder also goes full left - center - full right. No inbetween like in X-Plane. Of course, if you have full joystick or even hotas you dont care about that, but I do. The camera controls are very dull, overally it feels just like a game. If you like X-Plane for its simulation capabilities and not graphical awesomeness - dont even look at MFS. The menu too looks like it belongs to a game, not a proper simulator. Personally I missed mostly the "Cold start" option and mouse steering.

How's weather, ATC and snow? Even default on ATC with MS and certainly snow and weather is manifestly better with MS than XP. Right now it's like comparing apples to oranges since MSFS is a generational difference  to XP which will now go through further development and teething cycles. 

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

2 hours ago, rob0203 said:

Good luck then with MSFS without addons 🤪

There are add-ons and including the fact xplane will be left in the dust shortly when developers as they have stated will start churning out only MSFS add-ons to the exclusion of P3D and XP.

• Like 3

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

3 hours ago, devgrp said:

Thats what I want to know too. What defines a sim vs a game because as far as I'm concerned every game related thing can be done in XP. I can use an Xbox controller, I can crash and bounce, I can invert a jet, I can land at ridiculous speeds etc

IMHO, a 'Game' is where there is a goal or target or Highscore to aim at.

A 'sim' is a scenario, where real life can be immitated.

X-Plane, P3D and MSFS are Sims. They resemble (close to) real life scenarios.

War Thunder is a game becaus killing the enemy and surviving is the aim. The player collects currency along the way.

If it were the case that every MSFS buyer needed to pass their PPL or Commercial, and then operate an airline or carrier to become a millionaire, it would be a Game.

Edited by Pevenhull
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kapitan said:

A simulator makes it as much similar to the real as possible, it doesnt have a "magic" button Auto-Control that will fly the plane by itself. When I saw the autoland, autotakeoff, autocontrol i felt like those mobile flightsims

Those are game features

People get the wrong idea about autopilot or autoland because they "think" they exist in real aviation.

They dont. Autoland for example is a very complicated process, more than manually flying. All "auto" features in aviation require more work than manual flying (programming fmc, inputs, configuring plane, instruments etc)

What does it matter if they have some auto features for newcomers? It doesn't affect your experience.

• Like 1

it does, its general, it affects you also, everyone. Unconsciously.

You know its a sim that "in case" you want it, or anyone, it flies by itself.

To understand why/if it affect you:

a) imagine there was a version with no auto or easy mode flying. All operations strictly as per in real aviation. 

And a version like this one with both. Which version would you chose?

You would be surprise majority would go for the one you cant cheat

1 minute ago, kapitan said:

Well, there are many ways even hardcore simmers "cheat" when they fly. Every one of these things is a cheat that's available in even the hardcore sims:

• Starting on the runway with engines running instead of a cold start on the apron.
  • Choosing the time of day you want to fly.
  • Choosing the kind of weather you want to fly in.
  • Being able to start/resume a flight in mid-air.
  • Being able to magically slew to a destination.
  • Time compression.
  • Perfect aircraft, engine, and electronics performance with never the chance of an in-flight failure

You can choose not to use those features.... always start cold and dark, use real injected weather, set random failures, never use time compression, and so. But the point is that these options do exist, and they're no less "gamey" than handing off to a virtual copilot for auto-landing.

• Like 5

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

4 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

You have to start at a parking spot,

This is so basic that I stopped reading after he said no cold&dark. Not interested in xplane hordes.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

26 minutes ago, kapitan said:

A majority of AvSim users? Sure.

A majority of all of the 3 million+ users around the world that don’t necessarily have the same sim background? Almost definitely not.

He disses on MSFS for lack of realism, fails to even do basic investigation (ie not understanding that airplanes started on the runway will always start with engines running and ready for takeoff), and flies with mouse and keyboard... You cant say you want the realism in XP and then sit there with only mouse and keyboard... 

• Upvote 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Not sure if the OP flies GA or Commercial in sim, but it is also worth mentioning, despite the fact that it is a common “simmer” trope, but “cold and dark” is in 95 percent of cases just as unrealistic as “engines running” for the commercial pilot.

2 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

Not sure if the OP flies GA or Commercial in sim, but it is also worth mentioning, despite the fact that it is a common “simmer” trope, but “cold and dark” is in 95 percent of cases just as unrealistic as “engines running” for the commercial pilot.

Well, that 5% still applies for any commercial pilot flying smaller GA planes or helicopters. In a former life as an  editorial and advertising photographer, I did a lot of airphoto gigs where I hired light planes and helicopters for the job. They were all cold starts as far as I remember.

There is a life beyond the airlines and biz jets in the commercial aviation world. 🙂

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 minute ago, Paraffin said:

Well, that 5% still applies for any commercial pilot flying smaller GA planes or helicopters. In a former life as an  editorial and advertising photographer, I did a lot of airphoto gigs where I hired light planes and helicopters for the job. They were all cold starts as far as I remember.

There is a life beyond the airlines and biz jets in the commercial aviation world. 🙂

Fair

If this topic hasn't turned into an ALL OUT WAR with multiple deleted posts and suspended users by page 5, something must be wrong. Let me join in.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

There's three (albeit major) components in which FS2020 easily beats X-Plane 11.

-ATC

-Scenery

-Weather

In everything else I can think of right now (including flight model, controls, default planes, interface, performance), it can't hold a candle to X-Plane.

Even in my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine a real world pilot chosing FS over X-Plane for training.

Edited by Colonel X

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

2 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

There's three (albeit major) components in which FS2020 easily beats X-Plane 11.

-ATC

-Scenery

-Weather

In everything else I can think of right now (including flight model, controls, default planes, interface, performance), it can't hold a candle to X-Plane.

Even in my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine a real world pilot chosing FS over X-Plane for training.

I’m a real world pilot and I chose FS over X-Plane. 🤯

Fort Lauderdale Executive (FXE) - PPL ASEL

i9 12900k @ 5.2 - 32 GB DDR5 @ 6000 - 3080TI - W11