Sign in to follow this  
qacmemphis

X-Plane vs MFS 2020

3 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Almost can't believe this, but it's perfectly in line with my impression that heavy metal flying was an afterthought for Asobo. First the borked airliners, then the performance cost of their "system depth" (sorry couldn't resist), now this, which is a real showstopper. However, at least this seems easy to fix. Here goes item 5.076 on the list.

Simply untrue. See screenshot below, where is the blurry? 12,000 ft 4K resolution at 44ps with an i7-8700k and GTX 1080 Ti on high-end setting.

APeI5tC2Yp-p7r_yyHQu3bpZZww6pm5g53wRWJGL

Zicheng Cai

FWIW,

I spent a lot of time flying MSFS the last two days and ended this evening flying XP11. I only have default scenery for Europe installed for XP.

For my flights I chose to fly to and from various Greek islands and the Peloponnese. My last flight took me to LGRX.

I’d invite all of you who have XP and MSFS to do the same. Hands down, I had a better, more realistic flight experience in my XP Baron. However, MSFS blew XP out of the water in how it visually rendered the islands, the buildings, the water, the sunset, and the airports. Just visit LGRX in XP and you’ll see what I mean.  

Bottom line: I enjoy both sims for different reasons and look forward to what both MS and Austin will do with their  sims in the future. It’s a win-win for me.   

• Like 3

FSX Gold SP2 (FSGen + GEX + UTX + REX) --- XP10 / XP11 --- MSFS 2020

Intel i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz / 16GB / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo / MFG Crosswind v3

So funny to me how people in here believe everything they read (as long as it aligns with their bias) before actually verifying if the claim is actually true.

37 minutes ago, tgenius said:

So funny to me how people in here believe everything they read (as long as it aligns with their bias) before actually verifying if the claim is actually true.

Yep, even with today's junk news. And we know which ones mainly. LOL!

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

1 hour ago, Cai Zicheng said:

Simply untrue. See screenshot below, where is the blurry? 12,000 ft 4K resolution at 44ps with an i7-8700k and GTX 1080 Ti on high-end setting.

APeI5tC2Yp-p7r_yyHQu3bpZZww6pm5g53wRWJGL

Unable to see the pic but in reality at altitude looking down it should not be crispy clear 4k.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3374/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II/RTX 4060/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

Why is it that everyone compares MSFS 2020 with X-Plane? Why isn't P3D ever included in the comparisons?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, udidwht said:

Unable to see the pic but in reality at altitude looking down it should not be crispy clear 4k.

Hmm. no 😀 Thats not how it works.

You will see things smaller and maybe blurrier with distance, but not because the change of resolution as is a problem within msfs.

Sn%C3%ADmka.JPG

Edited by Freneticus

6 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

Why is it that everyone compares MSFS 2020 with X-Plane? Why isn't P3D ever included in the comparisons?

Maybe because XPlane fans feel threatened by MSFS 2020 and P3D fans dont..............😉

• Like 3

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

17 hours ago, qacmemphis said:

I just downloaded MFS and played it for an hour or so. For people who are wondering, how it compares to X-Plane 11 - it really doesn't. MFS feels like a game. The only hyped thing about - the 2 PB graphics - they are surely better than X-Plane, but nothing amazing (I am talking not about special places like N.Y. or so, but actual random cities, which were not hand crafted). MFS doesnt have (or at least I wasnt able to find) "Cold startup", the controls with keyboard and mouse are possible, but only by using keyboard to steer (system doesnt seem to detect GlovePIE virtual joystick). Rudder also goes full left - center - full right. No inbetween like in X-Plane. Of course, if you have full joystick or even hotas you dont care about that, but I do. The camera controls are very dull, overally it feels just like a game. If you like X-Plane for its simulation capabilities and not graphical awesomeness - dont even look at MFS. The menu too looks like it belongs to a game, not a proper simulator. Personally I missed mostly the "Cold start" option and mouse steering.

Well! (where to start) After 35 years of flying every simulator that has ever been released and having  one hundred and twenty games in my steam account, I feel fairly qualified to tell the difference between a game and a sim! Not only is MSFS "the" Simulator (and a very accessible one at that) it is, without any shadow of doubt the best there has ever been! And with Asobo/MS 10 year development plan I find it very hard to imagine anyone being able to catch them up and produce anything close to this masterpiece. I have thousands of hours logged in FS9, FSX and all P3D versions upto and including v5, I have spent thousands of pounds on my hobby over the years and have live streamed over a thousand videos on YouTube, I have spent hundreds of hours building and tweaking my PC's and whichever flightsim I was using at the time. So,  yes, I am an expert in the fullest sense. So when I say that MSFS is the best of the best in every way imaginable! Believe it.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

6 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

Well! (where to start) After 35 years of flying every simulator that has ever been released and having  one hundred and twenty games in my steam account, I feel fairly qualified to tell the difference between a game and a sim! Not only is MSFS "the" Simulator (and a very accessible one at that) it is, without any shadow of doubt the best there has ever been! And with Asobo/MS 10 year development plan I find it very hard to imagine anyone being able to catch them up and produce anything close to this masterpiece. I have thousands of hours logged in FS9, FSX and all P3D versions upto and including v5, I have spent thousands of pounds on my hobby over the years and have live streamed over a thousand videos on YouTube, I have spent hundreds of hours building and tweaking my PC's and whichever flightsim I was using at the time. So,  yes, I am an expert in the fullest sense. So when I say that MSFS is the best of the best in every way imaginable! Believe it.

Steady on Mike, steady on, the newborns not yet out nappies..

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

Just now, Recognition said:

Steady on Mike, steady on, the newborns not yet out nappies..

LOL, okay mate, I'll cut them some slack.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

8 hours ago, N9718 said:

FWIW,

I spent a lot of time flying MSFS the last two days and ended this evening flying XP11. I only have default scenery for Europe installed for XP.

For my flights I chose to fly to and from various Greek islands and the Peloponnese. My last flight took me to LGRX.

I’d invite all of you who have XP and MSFS to do the same. Hands down, I had a better, more realistic flight experience in my XP Baron. However, MSFS blew XP out of the water in how it visually rendered the islands, the buildings, the water, the sunset, and the airports. Just visit LGRX in XP and you’ll see what I mean.  

Bottom line: I enjoy both sims for different reasons and look forward to what both MS and Austin will do with their  sims in the future. It’s a win-win for me.   

I totally agree with N9718.  I'm a GA pilot and I've been flying GA aircraft since the early 90's.  I've also been flying sims (FS2004, FSX, P3D, X-Plane) over those years as they have become available and have developed.  For the past number of years its been X-Plane for me.  I use sims for 2 purposes: fun and also for IFR practice (approaches etc) and practicing use of aircraft systems etc.  I'm not going to get into whether MS2020 is better than X-Plane - its horses for courses.    Currently, I believe there is a role for both.  In my view, X-Plane is a Sim and it suits my requirements for practicing IFR work and aircraft systems etc, (its systems and flight models etc., are pretty identical to the real thing) - which you need if you are practicing your skills.  MS2020 on the other hand is good for 'fun'.  The visuals (terrain etc) are extraordinary as is weather depiction and it's performance is very good.  But it doesn't (as yet) pass my benchmark for practicing my IFR skills and the use of aircraft systems.  That doesn't mean I think its bad - far from it - as I say, its horses for courses.    So for the moment I will retain and fly both.  MSFS2020 for 'fun' and X-Plane for skills development and practice.  Will MS2020 get there?  I do hope so. But I don't think it will come from Microsoft.  It will come from an eco system of 3rd parties building add-ons onto the undoubtedly technically excellent core that Asobo et al have built on behalf of Microsoft.  So, until it matures, I will use both, per my points above.  It's a very promising start though!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SierraHotel said:

Not commenting on that lifetstyle but it's obviously taken it's toll. Best of the best in every way imaginable? Sure. Lay off the Kool-Aid maybe, then you might see that in terms of actual flight simulation (flight model, controls, realism) none of the above named sims hold a candle to X-Plane. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

27 minutes ago, Millingp said:

I totally agree with N9718.  I'm a GA pilot and I've been flying GA aircraft since the early 90's.  I've also been flying sims (FS2004, FSX, P3D, X-Plane) over those years as they have become available and have developed.  For the past number of years its been X-Plane for me.  I use sims for 2 purposes: fun and also for IFR practice (approaches etc) and practicing use of aircraft systems etc.  I'm not going to get into whether MS2020 is better than X-Plane - its horses for courses.    Currently, I believe there is a role for both.  In my view, X-Plane is a Sim and it suits my requirements for practicing IFR work and aircraft systems etc, (its systems and flight models etc., are pretty identical to the real thing) - which you need if you are practicing your skills.  MS2020 on the other hand is good for 'fun'.  The visuals (terrain etc) are extraordinary as is weather depiction and it's performance is very good.  But it doesn't (as yet) pass my benchmark for practicing my IFR skills and the use of aircraft systems.  That doesn't mean I think its bad - far from it - as I say, its horses for courses.    So for the moment I will retain and fly both.  MSFS2020 for 'fun' and X-Plane for skills development and practice.  Will MS2020 get there?  I do hope so. But I don't think it will come from Microsoft.  It will come from an eco system of 3rd parties building add-ons onto the undoubtedly technically excellent core that Asobo et al have built on behalf of Microsoft.  So, until it matures, I will use both, per my points above.  It's a very promising start though!!

I really don't understand what preventing you from practicing approaches in MSFS2020? The only thing I can think of is outdated NAV data, but this is temporary and will be fixed soon. Get a six pack aircraft, approach plates and practice instrument flying in MSFS! In this respect there is  absolutely  no difference here between XP and MSFS.

Have you ever tried ADT like sim elite PI-135? You can legally do your 6 approaches, and hold there but that sim is worst that both XP and MSFS 🙂

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI