Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Word of warning: Dont buy London landmarks (orbx)!

I bought Leeds Bradford earlier, it’s somewhere I enjoy flying in and out of so have orbx LBA in P3D and Xplane.

I checked out the default LBA first and wasn’t impressed so bought the orbx version. It looks really good to me and for the price I’m more than happy with it , it looks better in the new sim than P3D or XP.

i also bought Innsbruck but not checked it out yet, I probably should have looked at the default version before buying because I forgot it was “hand crafted”

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

20 minutes ago, jon b said:

it looks better in the new sim than P3D or XP.

It's because of the superior lighting engine in MFS. But don't let that fool you from the low quality textures in parts of their airports.

Edited by captain420
  • Upvote 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

hint: before you buy something check a review if its worth or not, thats my top tip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flying Hermit said:

So shocked! Thanks for warning ... I am curious about the quality Drzewiecki Design's Moscow will be.

I don’t understand the concept behind putting animated buildings with earth satellite imagery  from google ??

sorry but that’s dumb! no?

Looks terrible.

all you need in this sim is Hifi simulations for live weather.

and add in  aircrafts like pmdg fs labs etc etc

correct me if I’m wrong?

mike

2 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

hint: before you buy something check a review if its worth or not, thats my top tip.

Does the FS2020 store give refunds? They should....  Steam does, no questions asked.

Any add-on that does not meet the high standards set by Asobo is "unfit for purpose" and the seller must give the customer a refund if they want (under Australian law anyway, AFAIK).

Clearly, Orbx have concealed the defects in this product and mislead the consumer. 🤬

Instant refund, no questions asked.  

• Like 2

Matthew S

2 hours ago, ComSimPilot said:

"These Landmarks are designed and optimised to be enjoyed whilst exploring from above but we understand that some will want to get up real close. To that end we will take feedback on some the most highly sought after Landmarks and create higher definition models as a free upgrade, taking into account the sim performance at the same time. It is not hard to make high def buildings and textures, but the sim performance will degrade substantially if those files get too big!"

To me this makes sense. Asobo created some very high res buildings but they created a dozen of them. ORBX created much much more. So obviously they had to cut on resolution, to me this makes sense. And personally, I know its fun to fly close to buildings but in a realistic flight you wouldn't do that. Its more than enough to look amazing from some distance.

The default Tower Bridge probably has more graphical elements than the entire Orbx Landmarks package. Making it sound like a performance consideration is just a cop-out.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

I don’t understand the concept behind putting animated buildings with earth satellite imagery  from google ??

sorry but that’s dumb! no?

Looks terrible.

all you need in this sim is Hifi simulations for live weather.

and add in  aircrafts like pmdg fs labs etc etc

correct me if I’m wrong?

mike

I don't know what you're asking. And it uses Bing maps, not google.

31 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

I don't know what you're asking. And it uses Bing maps, not google.

Ok so bing maps which actual 3d satellite imagery correct?

and orbx is using 3d animation? For the airports ?

im confused about the whole concept.

sorry probably a stupid question.

mike

In the years since the end of FSX, and because of how much XP11 has depended on it, ORBX has become increasingly detached from the core understanding that they're an addon, they're not the show. At the same time, they've grown really adept at pivoting rapidly from one new platform to another to preserve their market share.

Can't blame them for that, but with their success has come a distinct complacence about the quality of what they have on offer (the permanently unsolved washed-out color issue for XP11's TE Washington has never been corrected--I guess we know now that their attention had already turned to the next big thing), and with the very high standard set by this new sim, as an earlier post pointed out, a lazy port-over simply won't cut it. Frankly, when it became clear ORBX was involved in the sim, my first reaction was, "Oh no." Hopefully this new sim will bring some hungry new players to the scenery scene. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Ok so bing maps which actual 3d satellite imagery correct?

and orbx is using 3d animation? For the airports ?

im confused about the whole concept.

sorry probably a stupid question,

mike

The whole world doesn't have 3D data in bing, and it's not good enough to use as close up scenery.

Edited by Tuskin38

11 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

The whole world doesn't have 3D data in bing, and it's not good enough to use as close up scenery.

Thank you for the clarification.

mike

I was shocked and pretty disappointed to see this. I wouldn’t have expected this from ORBX. Are they trying to blend 2 different types of technology? Or are they not using the technology correctly?

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

Confirms my plan to keep this sim Orbx free.

• Like 3

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

4 hours ago, MatthewS said:

Clearly, Orbx have concealed the defects in this product and mislead the consumer. 🤬

From the pre-release screenshots and videos you already got a clear impression of the quality of this product. Yes, the quality of the textures is very low (and so‘s the price), but I don‘t see any attempts of concealment or deception. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2