Sign in to follow this  
helloo

Sim is great, but the night runway lights? (Rabbit)

I have noticed the night approach lighting system known by some as the running rabbit to the runways is active on all runways which is not how it works in the real world.  They should only be on to the active runways being used for landing.  Is there a way to correct this?  You can also see these lights during the day from way too far away which is not realistic.  

Edited by helloo

i9-10900k * 64GB 3600MHz Ram * RTX 3090 running 3 75" 4k displays smoothly.  

Full 737 MAX enclosed cockpit from FDS

Just now, helloo said:

I have noticed the night approach lighting system known by some as the running rabbit to the runways is active on all runways which is not how it works in the real world.  They should only be on to the active runways being used for landing.  Is there a way to correct this?  You can also see these lights during the day from way too far away which is not realistic.  

We run all of our lights for all runways where I work ATC.  I'm not saying its the norm but I've seen it done at other airports too.

But no, I don't think there's a way to turn then off in sim.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

17 minutes ago, helloo said:

You can also see these lights during the day from way too far away which is not realistic.

I know 😞

It's one of the things that stuck out to me when I first tried XP...the airports there were much more difficult to spot during the day from many miles away.

In FSX (and the before it) the airports always stuck out like a sore thumb (even amidst large city areas) so even someone half blind couldn't miss them.

I really wish they'd have some sort of reality option within the menu's that would turn off runway lighting during daylight hours (unless there were IFR conditions).

Edited by hangar

3 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

We run all of our lights for all runways where I work ATC.  I'm not saying its the norm but I've seen it done at other airports too.

But no, I don't think there's a way to turn then off in sim.

I understand all runway lights on during the night.  That has been my experience everywhere.  But do you have the approach lights running on all runways at night, even on runways not being used?  They should not be on at the same time for say runway 25/7.  Only on to the landing runway side.  

i9-10900k * 64GB 3600MHz Ram * RTX 3090 running 3 75" 4k displays smoothly.  

Full 737 MAX enclosed cockpit from FDS

3 hours ago, helloo said:

This is a known issue and on Asobo's list to fix. It was noted by Mir from Flightbeam in his forum, among other places.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

42 minutes ago, helloo said:

I understand all runway lights on during the night.  That has been my experience everywhere.  But do you have the approach lights running on all runways at night, even on runways not being used?  They should not be on at the same time for say runway 25/7.  Only on to the landing runway side.  

Fwiw yes we do.  It's because we have close parallels and frequently do opposite direction approaches.  People just leave them on.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

8 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Fwiw yes we do.  It's because we have close parallels and frequently do opposite direction approaches.  People just leave them on.

The same is true at KBOI and for the same reason. At night, the winds are usually calm and traffic is light, so while the 10s might be in use, the late night arrivals from the east often request and get clearance for the 28s. Done it a few times myself...

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT