Sign in to follow this  
kiek

MSFS 2020

10 minutes ago, airlinetycoon said:

Did a 20  minutes testdrive at KSFO - no 10 seconds problem so far.

Okay fine,   what Simulator?

Same here, 2 flights with total about 3 hour flight time and some testing / "spotting" at Chicago Ohare with over 100 live flights and not a single simconnect error in P3D V5 HF2 / PSXT 18.7!

Just a note about AILGenerator, the MSFS directory trees are really deep, I reach the AIG path character limit in the UI very quickly and can't fit much more than the path to the Community packages level.

Excited for each step forward. 

6 hours ago, riivrtwo said:

Just a note about AILGenerator, the MSFS directory trees are really deep, I reach the AIG path character limit in the UI very quickly and can't fit much more than the path to the Community packages level.

Excited for each step forward. 

There is no direct  need to go deeper then Cominity. If needed you can type a longer string in parameters.xml directly.

Thanks, I was just trying to isolate which planes were loading because I was getting crash to desktop if too many planes were loading.

Turning off player traffic and reducing PSXT distance to 5nm let me see traffic work for a while...MSFS did eventually CTD though eventually. Probably too many 747-8s etc loaded? These are probably too heavy to be used as AI Traffic models.

Well I have made the AILG window larger, re-download 7.0

I have an individual path to my community packages on another ssd, not at user/appdata/....

@kiek can you create an option in AIL to switch manually into MSFS-Mode?

Greetings Andrew Bowler

1 hour ago, airlinetycoon said:

I have an individual path to my community packages on another ssd, not at user/appdata/....

@kiek can you create an option in AIL to switch manually into MSFS-Mode?

See 7.1

• Like 1

Hi

I gather it is possible to link to MSFS from the above. However I can't make the connection. I've been happily connecting to P3D inc V5 but no joy here. Is it because I'm using a client pc do you think? I've made sure al the relevant folders are shared and tried turning off the Firewall temporarily. I also ran AIL and it picked up the liveries from MFSF.

I know it's early days but I'd love to experiment. Can you advise?

Cheers

Chris

4 hours ago, chrisal said:

Can you advise?

Did you follow the instructions in the Manual for setting up SimConnect in case of using PSXT networked.?

Otherwise, try it non-networked first. Run MSFS windowed.

Edited by kiek

Thanks Nico,

No simconnect.xml in the MSFS folder. Working just fine now. Getting old...

Update for anyone else following along with MSFS 2020 trial and error. (thread in Alpha India Group forums)

FSX model files (but not P3D converted ones) and liveries have been shown to work in MSFS2020 once you conform the package to the new format, adding json files for everything etc. But it does crash to desktop pretty quickly with these MDLs.

At least for a few moments I was able to see an FAIB 737-800 with the Southwest livery in MSFS2020 using PSXT 18.7 (That model isn't PBR so it was almost glowing at night time) With the amount of work it took me to do one livery I can't see converting hundreds of liveries or a few dozen aircraft types without automation into the new MSFS file structure.

Also through the Developer menu you can access the list of simobjects and from that list you can get the old AI Traffic view for each plane.

It's all very hacky right now but you can see bits and pieces under the hood that could work (some time this century)

P.S Just as a roundup of the type of changes I'm talking about when handling models and textures:

1. Each livery texture needs a corresponding model directory instead of all pointing to the same model (This one I don't understand why, it seems painful and wasteful if you have to duplicate models, maybe symlink everything?)

2.Each DDS texture file needs an accompanying .json file that describes its channels and alpha (which I just copy from another plane and rename)

3. you need the layout.json at the top level of the package that lists all the files with filesizes (theres a drag and drop tool for this)

Overall it feels like the level of pain required to get custom AI traffic installed and working jumped by 3. Hopefully a tool like OCI comes along to take care off it for you because managing it manually is near impossible now which is a shame.