Sign in to follow this  
Ekaton

Blurry ground - not sure if it's supposed to be like that

3 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

Well Alaska is decent in some areas, but not great in others. I flew around Alaska some.

I don't think that issue has anything to do with graphics settings if you are close to defaults, but it's usually the textures are too low res cause it was downloading too slow.

Best area I've seen thus far is probably Aspen to Denver, at least most consistent looking other than Seattle of course. 

Sometimes, it doesn’t even seem like they’re downloading, despite the bandwith being there. In one session, the game downloaded about 600 MB of data, in another it only downloaded 150, in the same area. The second one was noticeably worse. 

7 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

I don't think that issue has anything to do with graphics settings if you are close to defaults, but it's usually the textures are too low res cause it was downloading too slow.

Anisotropic filtering actually does impact blurries in the distance. Give this a try, set it at the lowest setting and take a look, then set it at the highest setting and compare. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

It makes some difference, but that image shows a problem with his base textures, it will not make that much difference. Anisotropic Filtering is just a geometric form of detail preservation and anti-aliasing, it will not usually increase apparent res when the whole texture is off like that, but I suppose anything is possible.

Edited by SceneryFX
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

5 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

It makes some difference, but that image shows a problem with his base textures, it will not make that much difference.

I agree that if the base texture is poor then anisotropic filtering will not make much of a difference. If the texture is good and you have the setting set low then it will make a difference. I am just trying to help someone out with a question and I am answering based on my experience in seeing a difference with my own eyes. If someone wants to take that advice go ahead, if not then don't.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Has anyone else experienced downloading issues? Does anyone know how to fix that? I usually have at least 50 mbps, often closer to 100, so t shouldn’t be an issue, especially in a slow Cessna and almost no cities.

Looks like anisotropic filtering didn’t help, and I don’t exactly have enough disk space to cache everything. 

This is for sure a VRAM issue at higher resolutions. 

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

On 8/20/2020 at 4:52 AM, Slides said:

This is for sure a VRAM issue at higher resolutions. 

No , it's not. I'm having extremely word not allowed terrain texturing at high altitudes, at 60+fps and gigs of vram remaining. Something is wrong with the game. 

Flying GA low altitude it looks great. But I just did my first few flights in the a320 and on the climb i couldn't believe how BAD the ortho imagery is at above FL200 .. it looks like a ipad game. My connection was barely downloading data too so it is not a bandwidth issue either (maybe for MS , but my connection was fine)

On 8/19/2020 at 11:42 PM, Colonel X said:

That defies the point of the sim. Maybe the data just isn't any better. Satellite imagery varies.

Yeah, check out if there are clouds on the scenery for example.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

The terrain LOD sliders define how far away from the plane the simulator loads higher resolution textures for the terrain mesh.  (This is just like in the previous versions).

The highest setting in the UI is 200.  I have no idea the Units of measure but the slider can be set between 10 and 200.  if you look at that as a radius.  You can see just how much more scenery has to load at 200 vs 10.

It's also important to realize that this is a cylinder, not a cone.  The higher you go up, the further you can see, therefore the transition APPEARS to happen closer to the plane the higher up you go.  

Other people have mentioned that there is a LOD setting in the .cfg file which is like it was in previous versions, and you can set even higher than the max UI setting.  The problem with this, is performance.  Eventually you could set it up so high that you choke the CPU.  (plus I think there is a max setting even in the .cfg file).  I have heard, however, that you have to set the file to read only to prevent it from being reset when you launch the game.

The other thing, is that IRL far off terrain loses it's sharpness due to atmospheric distortion.  Which is why modern graphics cards have Depth of View settings in the first place.

• Like 1