Sign in to follow this  
step

Blackpool.

2 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Let's hope not Ray, most of us would have to find a way to blot them out 😝

Let’s put club loyalties to one side. :wink: I’m trying to establish how well modelled U.K. cities are. Not to have the three Graces modelled is pretty shameful. They are a World Heritage Site.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, FAZZ3 said:

I’m really hoping MS would launch an Airport/POI/Landmarks gateway project for the sim. The community could develop accurate models for all these and upload it to a central system. Once approved for quality, Microsoft can then include all the new models as part of the base Sim in the next update.

But I don’t know how well this favors with with plans to accommodate scenery developers and their plans to bring World updates in the future. 

Well, you are describing the reality of X-Plane: https://gateway.x-plane.com/

This is one aspect where X-Plane is years ahead, it's been a super clever strategy.

• Like 1

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@teenflon5, did you notice if Anfield and Goodison stadiums were modelled?

Unfortunately only one was slightly modelled 🙂 Not sure which of the two it was. The first one thats slightly more south is modelled the second one further north is just flat

1-1.png

2-1.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, teenflon5 said:

Unfortunately only one was slightly modelled 🙂 Not sure which of the two it was. The first one thats slightly more south is modelled the second one further north is just flat

Thanks for taking the time to post those. Anfield is the modelled stadium. Goodison is still a decent sized stadium so the decision not to give it the same treatment is baffling.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The squished cars on the roads look horrible. Can’t they do what they do in XP11, when using ortho? I’m sure it’s a road overlay...... to hide them. 

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The squished cars on the roads look horrible.

That's just how Liverpool is in real life, Scouse driving is terrifying! 🤣 You get to the West end of the M62, say a quick prayer by the speed camera and then your life is in the hands of others!

I don't think Anfield was hand modelled, I rekon they just got lucky with the AI detecting it. As much as Goodison is missing, the terrace housing around both seems on point.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 3

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

13 hours ago, Colonel X said:

What's the whole point of FS2020 when the entire ORBX loop is required again? You're kidding me.

It's not required. The AI is able to build decent representations of cities that surpass anything default in any other sim by a wide margin. Go pick a random city in Africa and then compare MSFS to P3D. If you still need every little landmark in the world in every random city, then yes, you'll need to wait for some regional pack or something. That's an impossible task to have default.

But pretending this isn't a major step up isn't being honest about what they've accomplished.

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

That's just how Liverpool is in real life, Scouse driving is terrifying! 🤣 You get to the West end of the M62, have a quick prayer and then your life is in the hands of others!

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but my own experiences are completely different to what you describe.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 minutes ago, bonchie said:

It's not required. The AI is able to build decent representations of cities that surpass anything default in any other sim by a wide margin. Go pick a random city in Africa and then compare MSFS to P3D. If you still need every little landmark in the world in every random city, then yes, you'll need to wait for some regional pack or something. That's an impossible task to have default.

But pretending this isn't a major step up isn't being honest about what they've accomplished.

Of course it's a great accomplishment. I just wonder, why does ORBX release a pack for a city that should be entirely covered with photogrammetry. Screens suggest Asobo has intentionally left out buildings so ORBX can fill them in. Why are major skyscrapers otherwise missing in the photogrammetry, only reason I can think of is that they were built after the city's been photogrammetried.

-

Currently giving X-Plane 12.10 a spin on Shadow PC. 10 years with X-Plane now, since 10.20

3 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Of course it's a great accomplishment. I just wonder, why does ORBX release a pack for a city that should be entirely covered with photogrammetry. Screens suggest Asobo has intentionally left out buildings so ORBX can fill them in. Why are major skyscrapers otherwise missing in the photogrammetry, only reason I can think of is that they were built after the city's been photogrammetried.

That's not what it suggests at all. The photogrammetry coverage has nothing to do with Asobo. It's already existent as part of Bing and its use in Flight Simulator is ancillary, not primary. While I'm sure Asobo wishes they could just snap their fingers and make MS go overfly London, they've said they have no control over that data. They can only use what's given.

The AI has done a great job with most cities I've been to and it's opened up 95% of the world that I never used to even bother thinking about flying to. If you know a place intimately, you may desire more.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

Let's hope not Ray, most of us would have to find a way to blot them out 😝

Is Twickers there? that is more important.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

21 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not but my own experiences are completely different to what you describe.

Honestly Ray you cant tell if he's joking or not ??? How about the big rolling smilie he put in the middle ? !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick_h said:

Honestly Ray you cant tell if he's joking or not ??? How about the big rolling smilie he put in the middle ? !

Doesn't stop them being irritating.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, ckyliu said:

I have a fully comprehensive list of 3D photogrammetic cities in the UK available on Bing and MFS:

• Southampton

Yep, 1. Whereas Google has about 50.

I thought Portsmouth did, too.? Thought I saw a list somewhere.

Not than anyone goes to Southampton or Portsmouth (out of choice!). Obviously 😁

19 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Doesn't stop them being irritating.

You found his sense of humor irritating ? Well I suppose we all have different takes on humor. Personally  ckyliu it gave me a chuckle. .... Edit to say ... Of course if you were not joking I'm with Ray lol !

Edited by Nick_h
  • Like 2