Sign in to follow this  
flying_w

16GB v. 32GB RAM

Anyone have an experience of going from 16GB to 32GB of RAM and the difference, if any, it made to the simulator?  It's decision time, a tricky one as I'll be looking at an all new PC within 9 months.

You should aim at 32, that' s for sure. I have 24gb now and it runs awesome but this is obviously without any complex addon. If i where i getting a new system in 9 months i would aim at 32 just to be on the safe side

Juan Ramos

yes, I did during the Alpha Phase. with 16GB you almost guaranteed to experience CTD while loading the SIM on a high complex
area with MEDIUM / HIGH settings due to OOM. unfortunately you will not get any following message telling you about the cause crash, but it will show up as an event under the "Application" section in your event view console. once you upgrade to 32GB , you will not experience those CTD any more.

I raised this number of times to the Devs during the Alpha phase, offering one of the following ideas i had in mind:

Option 1. start shooting warning in SIM that it is close to OOM and if already crash the SIM to desktop, at lease follow it with a message stating the OOM cause of crash.

Option 2. the better approach, implement an adaptive graphics/ texture/ control, that can dynamically increase/decrease the graphics quality based on RAM/VRAM vacancy/availability.
that way you even prevent the crash in the 1st place…

but I did not get any response. I hope they will adopt one of the solutions i offered or any other possible alternative.

Edited by Akila
  • Like 1

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

3 minutes ago, xender said:

You should aim at 32, that' s for sure. I have 24gb now and it runs awesome but this is obviously without any complex addon. If i where i getting a new system in 9 months i would aim at 32 just to be on the safe side

Thanks for the insight,  I wasn't too clear in my dilema.  Do I go 32GB right now in my current PC (i7-6700K, 16GB, 980Ti) just to enjoy the experience more until the next PC gets built in around 9 months time.  What's the bang for the buck of 32GB over 16 so to speak?

1 minute ago, flying_w said:

Thanks for the insight,  I wasn't too clear in my dilema.  Do I go 32GB right now in my current PC (i7-6700K, 16GB, 980Ti) just to enjoy the experience more until the next PC gets built in around 9 months time.  What's the bang for the buck of 32GB over 16 so to speak?

you spare CTD by going with 32GB, upgrade to 32GB for the time being, unless you planing to run on LOW settings (read my previous reply)

Joel Strikovsky

This is a tricky one!  I can't say that I'm going to test running on only 1 stick, but at 32GB available, I'm using 14-18gb for Win10, FS2020, Dragon Center, and Afterburner.  I think being at 16 is definitely limiting you.  Depends what your RAM is now; if you could get a match for something around $100 I'd probably go for it.

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since

i have 32GB and gets CTD randomly using the menu after a hour or 2

MSFS .exe is the cause sayseventviewer

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Hello,

32 GB is interesting not only for FS, because you can completely disable the paging file, then you are sure Windows will never page memory on disk.

7 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

i have 32GB and gets CTD randomly using the menu after a hour or 2

MSFS .exe is the cause sayseventviewer

Michael Moe

but yours probably is a different cause than what i described.

Joel Strikovsky

18 minutes ago, flying_w said:

I have the same setup as you do and upgraded to 32GB prior to the game launching and I haven't had any issues with it. I've run the game on mostly high and a few ultra (not sure if it does much at ultra on a 1080p). But overall, it's run very smoothly for me, maybe a few stutters when I"m flying close to a dense forest though. Flew around NYC and didn't have any real issues. 

Just now, NightOfDreams said:

Stupid question: does upgrading from 16 gb to 32 gb RAM improve frame rate, or just prevent CTDs?

not a stupid question at all, the other consideration is does it improve smoothness, i.e. reduce stutters.  Every so often around a busy scenery like EHAM I'll get a random frame take twice as long as it should (acording to RTSS), which manifests as a stutter.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Akila said:

you spare CTD by going with 32GB, upgrade to 32GB for the time being, unless you planing to run on LOW settings (read my previous reply)

Hmm. I've been running alpha/beta/release on 16GB and MED/HiGH settings and don't have CTDs. I think I may have had one actual CTD in many hours of flying (although the flights have mainly been short 1-3 hour hops).

My CPU and GPU get maxxed out at different times, but it only uses maybe 50-50% of the RAM for everything I have open.

Edited by Donstim

I have 16 GB and run Ultra at 4k and have had no CTD in my approx. 8 hours so far (but I also have a 1080TI with 11GB which might help, too).

Nevertheless, an upgrade of another 16GB is not that expensive and I am sure it will decrease loading stutters and give a lot of head room for upcoming add-ons. Especially when setting up a new PC, you should not go for less anymore and best buy a 32 GB kit with 2x 16 so you still have some slots free for a later upgrade. 32 GB do not hurt and do not cost the world, either. 🙂

Edited by Heavy Metal
  • Like 2