Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

German review confirms massive performance problems.

5 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

I cooking along at 50FPS and 85% CPU, 44% GPU atm

I too am CPU limited until I upgrade my CPU. I get about the same CPU and GPU usage at times but it's still playable.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

1 hour ago, SmokeDiddy said:

In Beta, my dated hardware (see signature) was tolerable somewhere between medium and High settings, but in the release version, it is unflyable even on straight up medium settings all AI off.  The only relief I've gotten thus far is using the Manual Cache.  This is in the C172 only.  I don't care about heavy metal.  I'll keep tinkering until I can get things stable, but I didn't have one clean flight yesterday without extreme stutters and pauses - CPU pegged at 100%, GPU sitting at about 65% on straight medium.  Something has changed, but not sure what it is, but I'll keep trying to go as far as I can with what I have.  Things may get worse as complex add-ons start coming, but we'll cross that bridge when it gets here I suppose.

Now I'm getting much better performance in the RC than I was in the beta, I did update my Nvidia drivers to the latest.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

13 hours ago, SAS443 said:in every alpha/beta release I tested with my 9900k I never, not even once managed to peg any CPU core to 99% load.

GPU? yes but that was with ultra settings and 4K, I would achieve the same result with any modern game. 

Compared to P3D which is a Core0 dramaqueen, MSFS is more easy on the CPU from my opinion.

Many things need to be corrected with MSFS, but claiming it to be CPU hog à la P3D is not accurate.

Not really true now. I find that P3D v5 is spread out pretty well across the cores. I’m gpu limited in that sim.

likewise, in MSFS i’m at 30% cpu and 75% gpu.

Both sims work well with an i9 9900K, but both would also play better with a 3080Ti.

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

3 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

In P3Dv5, the DX12 implementation generates regular OOM when some graphic options are checked and saturate the video card. It is probable that they work implementing it better in FS20 to avoid this.

Dom, you don’t fly v5 if i’m not mistaken?

”regular oom” is untrue. The rtm version was sketchy - i had one possible Vram OOM - but that was quickly patched with a hotfix.

LM added a “texture streaming” feature to help avoid CTD in this setting. I’ve never had to use it as - with a good graphics card - the sim never comes close to an OOM. Even with true earth and every single unnecessary slider full right, there’s no way i can generate an OOM crash. Maybe with some dodgy addons i could do it, not sure.

In short, Dx12 is great and Asobo needs to hurry up and get it into MSFS!

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Upvote 1

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

Dom, you don’t fly v5 if i’m not mistaken?

”regular oom” is untrue. The rtm version was sketchy - i had one possible Vram OOM - but that was quickly patched with a hotfix.

LM added a “texture streaming” feature to help avoid CTD in this setting. I’ve never had to use it as - with a good graphics card - the sim never comes close to an OOM. Even with true earth and every single unnecessary slider full right, there’s no way i can generate an OOM crash. Maybe with some dodgy addons i could do it, not sure.

In short, Dx12 is great and Asobo needs to hurry up and get it into MSFS!

Again, my post was an answer to why Asobo is still on dx11, not meant to generate a P3D discussion. I should have known better though 🤣. The probable answer is that the dx12 VRAM management has notoriously changed and I suspect Asobo treads cautiously on this. Specially as they use intensively the GPU. 

V5. Like with any OoM, you may be lucky or using your sim in a way that doesn’t generate crashes. I still use v3, flying rural or light urban areas mostly with Orbx and   A2A aircraft and T-Duke and I have extremely rare OoM... Thats why I didn’t feel the need to move to v4 (I got tired of the insane twice a year updates too). It doesn't mean that v3 is not OoM prone. It is. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I can't see MSFS being a problem for VRAM in DX12, as my 2080ti is at 100% and the memory usage in the most intense scenario doesn't appear to be above 7-9GB out of the 11 available....

9 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

V5. Like with any OoM, you may be lucky or using your sim in a way that doesn’t generate crashes.

I'm on V5 HF2 and can fly the FSL A320 from Simwings EGLL to Aerosoft EDDF Pro with no issues - and that is with 4K, max. VRAM seen is 5.5/7.1

But let's stay on the MSFS topic 😉

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

10 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

V5. Like with any OoM, you may be lucky or using your sim in a way that doesn’t generate crashes. I still use v3, 

Whilst I don't want to turn this into a thread about P3D, I do think it's helpful to counter this misinformation. 

92% of people who say "v5 crashes all the time due to OOM" have never flown v5, and heard this from someone who also doesn't fly v5.

It's not being "lucky" that stops me having crashes, it's two simple things 1. having appropriate hardware 2. no using incompatible addons.

There's nothing fundamental to v5 that makes it unstable. Misuse it, and you can break it. I use it in a demanding fashion (VR, TrueSky, PMDG), HF2 literally never crashes due to OOM, or for any other reason for that matter. 

There's a lot of things that MSFS does better than P3D, but stability is not one of them - I've had multiple crashes in three days of MSFS use, whereas I can go a month without that happening in P3D HF2.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Oz

13 hours ago, JughedJones said:

Don't you have an i7 2660? 

2600K @ 4,8, 32gig of RAM, Titan Pascal, SSDs, 1080P monitor and 25 years of experience fooling around with flight sims. The sim performed like shhhhh

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

12 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Cheers!

I call it a day as  you read beyond what I meant and that was certainly not to compare stability in Fs20 and v5 😉

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 minute ago, Dominique_K said:

I call it a day as  you read beyond what I meant and that was certainly not to compare stability in Fs20 and v5 😉

Come on, you directly said "In P3Dv5, the DX12 implementation generates regular OOM" and then called me "lucky" when I said this wasn't accurate. And you're saying this as someone who flies neither P3Dv5 nor MSFS!

Dom, I enjoy a lot of your posts, by I'll point out fake news when I see it. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, though. Peace!

🙂

• Like 1

Oz

2 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Come on, you directly said "In P3Dv5, the DX12 implementation generates regular OOM" and then called me "lucky" when I said this wasn't accurate. And you're saying this as someone who flies neither P3Dv5 nor MSFS!

Dom, I enjoy a lot of your posts, by I'll point out fake news when I see it. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, though. Peace!

🙂

You will not drag me in again, my two heels are firmly in the ground 🤣.

Dominique

15 hours ago, Colonel X said:

Bashing lol. People really have an issue with cold, hard facts nowadays.

Here's a fact. I never experienced "massive performance issues" even as a alpha/beta tester.

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

43 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I can't see MSFS being a problem for VRAM in DX12, as my 2080ti is at 100% and the memory usage in the most intense scenario doesn't appear to be above 7-9GB out of the 11 available....

It depends.

With a low level api, it is much more complicated to manage Vram, it may take a lot of time to fix brain damaged stuff, however once you succesfully implement and work on a low level api fixing stutters and fps is straightforward. 

I wonder what is the time frame for dx12 in msfs. High level to low level api is a really long task. Unless somekind of low quality port is done which i highly suspect aint gonna happen.

Edited by mtaxp

5 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

You will not drag me in again, my two heels are firmly in the ground 🤣.

Well, my heels are currently on my pedals, as I just landed the Cub Crafter X Cub!

• Like 1

Oz