Sign in to follow this  
charlesk11

FS2020 CRASHES AT LOADING

Please assist.  FS2020 was working all day yesterday.  I turned off the computer last night, turned on today and it crashes to desktop after pressing any key though sometimes makes it to the aircraft menu. 

I have done everything so far, installed english packs (though I'm in US), reinstalled nvidia drivers, xbox app, etc.  

I called MS and they tell me to call asobo.  Very disapointed after spending $130 on this software.  

Getting:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f2ed221

I had trouble when game was to load in the game world.  kept crashing with obscure errors.  All it was was the memory amount i had.  i reduced load by adjusting options and it fired great.  it was the terrain detail slider for me.  i now have ultra and high settings object detail maxed etc. no crash.  also i have read that joytaick controlers can crash game because msfs doesn't recognise.  maybe you have a broken mouse or joystick?  also check the rolling cache file in appdata microsoft-fssim directory.  it could have eaten your free space on boot drive and will prevent msfs from loading.  delete it and change it to another drive.  sorry about game. 

Try setting your pagefile manually to something like 10GB.

I am convinced that there are some wild pointers in the code trashing memory.

Changing the pagefile moves things around a bit and the hit spots may be less critical.

Seriously, just give it a try. One of my test machines crashes out every time if I don't do this.

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

Second the pagefile recommendation, which solved my crashing on loading problems. I set mine to the size of my phyiscal RAM, others on the MSFS forums are saying they fixed it with letting Windows manage it. Either way, seems to solve the bulk of those crashes.

James

yep. i have 16 gigs ram.  Page file was at 500 meg i think.  added 2 gig San Fran finally  loaded.  I have basic version msfs.  I tried Lax - crashed.  Had to put swap at 12 gigs for it to work.  I guess when they say 32 gigs recommened I think they mean it.

also at this setting i have terrain setal to 135.  object detail max.  tessalation runways etc ultra,  one more at ultra -i have it installed on a 7200 rpm with swap on ssd.  I cant beleive it, i dont have a real good system. live weather and live traffic. I think charlesk11 has a resource problem though.

charlesk11.    check event logs .

you probably have something runnig blocking it.  disable staem overlay etc. allow background downloads etc.  i would disable xbox services in services. firewall antivirus check.  -  i think you need to check all that logical stuff.  run task manager and whatch areas while it trys to load.

one more thing.  check your ram in system area op system .  you could have blown a chip.  maybe an area on disk is bad.  install it temporaily on a completly diffrent drive.  run sfc /scannow from admin command propmt (system file checker.)  did a microsoft automatic update take place?   etc.

out.

I'm experiencing the same error during the loading (From day one I've never managed to start MSFS 🤕). From the event viewer, the problem is generated by this module: d3d11.dll.
Increased the pagefile on both C and D (MSFS is installed on the latter), but  nothing to do.

i9-11900K (5.3 GHz), 64 GB RAM (DDR4 3600), RTX 3070, 1 TB (M.2 SSD). Windows 10 Pro. Installed Sims: MSFS 2020.

I had this problem at random points in the program.  First day it was nearly every time I tried to run it.  After reading tons of posts about possible solutions I tried almost all of them so not quite sure which had the most effect.  Here's a few things I did.

I had installed an SSD and moved my system drive to it.  However, the trial version of the clone software would only copy exact volumes to it and my C: drive was always too small.  I created a second volume on that SSD where I intended all the Flight Sim stuff to go.  Well there are parts that are going to end up on your system drive even if you point the bulk of your flight sim data to somewhere else so I saw my C: drive with almost no space left on it.  Eventually I found a utility where I could expand that system drive and steal from the other volume.  I also set the SSD to let Windows manage the virtual memory.

My computer is not just a gaming computer.  I have tons of hobbies such as video creation, music recording, photo editing.  I use the computer through a VPN to connect to work so I found there were tons of things running in the background.  If you have task manager open while using FS 2020, you'll see that, even in just menu areas, processor load is near 100% at times.  If you have any other programs kick off during those times, you can get a crash to desktop.  I did lots of cleaning and uninstalls of old stuff.  By the way, one thing I removed which I saw fire up was a Microsoft utility that sends user experience data back to the mother ship.  Getting rid of it and turning it off is a major pain but I'd recommend it.

I now, before I fly into some intense graphical area, do a manual cache (to my SSD) of the surrounding area.  I saw a great improvement in frame rates doing this.  Probably prevented crashes as well. 

Last, even though the specs say 16GB is fine for this program, I added another 16 this morning and haven't had a crash today even on Ultra settings.  RAM is fairly cheap these days.  Load it up.

All that said, I shouldn't have had to do all of that after paying out good money and I hope the developers are hard at work on some patches that move some of the burden off the processor or find a way to throttle it if approaching limits.  Most people would put up more with some stutter than a crash to desktop.

i think charles fixed his because two minutes later he posted somewher he needed to change view to wings while flying.

also one thing i did before installing was to delete every instance of old flight simulator x from appdata etc to registry.  i bet some peole had a problem with this.  the new development update due in a week said they were to fix many crash problems.

hope that helped.