Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Day 2 - blown away

HI guys

Positive post here!  Its Day 2 for many of us and with a new sim comes the initial install (of which everything ran smooth for me), the scramble to setup my old saitek yoke (yes I need a new one).  The pain of remapping keys to my liking and removing duplicates etc.  Day 1 was an install, tweak and setup day.  It was also a day I was wondering if my old i7 4790k, 1070 and 16GB RAM would see me through.  To my amazement even in places like London and New York, admittedly in default aircraft though I'm getting between 35 and 60FPS even in adverse weather on High settings. 

Day 2 has seen me do more flying, I've been flying around New York taking in the views - oh my god is this really default scenery!  Blown away.  So I'm in the Icon A5 (what a great little craft!).  I land in the Hudson spin it around near the Statue of Liberty and just sat there in external view watching my aircraft bob up and down and thought.......this is the future!  I'm in this for the long haul (no pun intended).

• Like 17

Thomas Derbyshire

Yeah, once you get over / learn to live with the teething problems, MSFS is absolute gold.

This is day 2. Just think where we’ll be on day 365 (apocalypse notwithstanding).

Edited by scotchegg
  • Like 9

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I think they have provided a good platform to start this next era of flight sim. No where near perfect, but I believe a solid platform that will evolve with time when people calm down and put their shirts back on.

• Like 2

David Porrett

It's a breath of fresh air to read comments like this from the absurd amounts of negative and ridiculous posts that have been flooded in here these past few days.

I've been flying non-stop pretty much since it got released and am fully enjoying the sim as well! I can barely keep my eyes open. I've never been attached to a game or sim like this in quite a long time.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

6 minutes ago, captain420 said:

It's a breath of fresh air to read comments like this from the absurd amounts of negative and ridiculous posts that have been flooded in here these past few days.

I've been flying non-stop pretty much since it got released and am fully enjoying the sim as well! I can barely keep my eyes open. I've never been attached to a game or sim like this in quite a long time.

This right here!!

• Like 3

I have to agree, I really like it.

It: look fantastic, goes well as far as FPS, even on my 5 year old i7 cpu with 1080ti.  I set it at high and left it at that.

I believe it will only get better with time and some complex developers add on (A2A and PMDG)

I did struggle with the controller set up (I still think its barking mad)

AND as a proud Kiwi (New Zealand). Who flew into NZMF in real life last year, my advise is  Don't go to Milford Sound in the sim.  I flew from NZQN to NZMF (same flight as we did IRL) which is spectacular, its also great in the sim until you enter Milford Sounds.  For some reason several mountains are missing including Mitre Peak.  But I have to say the rest of NZ looks fantastic.

Good times.

Edited by rlaycock
  • Like 2

It's a beautiful thing.  Just made a quick flight north from St Pete's Florida in the 172.  I did nothing but set the time to early morning, real weather and took off.  The night lighting around Tampa and the sun rising to reflect off the glass and the inside of the aircraft was just stunning.  

I made my way north and skimmed a Lowes store where a friend of mine works. And it was the Lowes store.  Not an ai store, but the actual store. Its in the middle of nowhere but it was still just perfect. 

Landing a lovely grass strip east of Lessburg.  An amazing hour of flight. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rlaycock said:

I have to agree, I really like it.

It: look fantastic, goes well as far as FPS, even on my 5 year old i7 cpu with 1080ti.  I set it at high and left it at that.

I believe it will only get better with time and some complex developers add on (A2A and PMDG)

I did struggle with the controller set up (I still think its barking mad)

AND as a proud Kiwi (New Zealand). Whoo flew into NZMF in real life last year, my advise is  Don't go to Milford Sound in the sim.  I flew from NZQN to NZMF (same flight as we did IRL) which is spectacular, its also great in the sim until you enter Milford Sounds.  For some reason several mountains are missing including Mitre Peak.  But I have to say the rest of NZ looks fantastic.

Good times.

i was JUST flying to mitre peak and was so confused as to where the mountains went 😵.

1 minute ago, badger2000 said:

It's a beautiful thing.  Just made a quick flight north from St Pete's Florida in the 172.  I did nothing but set the time to early morning, real weather and took off.  The night lighting around Tampa and the sun rising to reflect off the glass and the inside of the aircraft was just stunning.  

I made my way north and skimmed a Lowes store where a friend of mine works. And it was the Lowes store.  Not an ai store, but the actual store. Its in the middle of nowhere but it was still just perfect. 

Landing a lovely grass strip east of Lessburg.  An amazing hour of flight. 

Funny I'm currently enroute from KSFB to KTPA in the trusty 172!  Early impressions of Florida scenery is its on par with ORBX True Earth region for XP11 imo.

Thomas Derbyshire

Same here, truly enjoyed my short time that I got to use it. looking forward on what’s to come with this simulator. Gonna give it another quick go tonight, only thing I’m missing is more time in a day.

• Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Agree with the OP, I am having a blast flying flights that are local, and those that are not.

my Flight from Teterboro up the Hudson and back were simply breathtaking.  There are some issues with the sim, no doubt, but none serious enough to deter me from having the fun I thought I would.

thank you for some positivity, things are only going to get better and better. 

• Like 1

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

Same here. The more I fly the more I like it.

I think this is largely coming to grips with all that's new; which is everything. Now that I'm familiar with most aspects of MSFS, I can relax a bit and just fly.

I've been flying most of the day and I'm really having fun. Sadly, that's been missing with the other sims. I am so through with tweaking and updating 20 add-ons only to have it all collapse for reasons.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

1 hour ago, sidfadc said:

HI guys

Positive post here!  Its Day 2 for many of us and with a new sim comes the initial install (of which everything ran smooth for me), the scramble to setup my old saitek yoke (yes I need a new one).  The pain of remapping keys to my liking and removing duplicates etc.  Day 1 was an install, tweak and setup day.  It was also a day I was wondering if my old i7 4790k, 1070 and 16GB RAM would see me through.  To my amazement even in places like London and New York, admittedly in default aircraft though I'm getting between 35 and 60FPS even in adverse weather on High settings. 

Day 2 has seen me do more flying, I've been flying around New York taking in the views - oh my god is this really default scenery!  Blown away.  So I'm in the Icon A5 (what a great little craft!).  I land in the Hudson spin it around near the Statue of Liberty and just sat there in external view watching my aircraft bob up and down and thought.......this is the future!  I'm in this for the long haul (no pun intended).

What res are you on,I attempted New York and I got about 28fs, stutters and freezes then crashed to desktop, I am on 4k with a render of 100 on ultra, running fine in Australia ?

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Well said!

Flying over my house and seeing the detail was an amazing experience for me!

Chris Camp