Sign in to follow this  
aatd

Setup -- 3 monitors (Nvidia) -- stopped working

I am not terribly computer savvy -- thus what is most assuredly a stupid question.

I had three 1080p monitors successfully operating in Nvidia surround and MSFS 2020 yesterday (thanks to advice from this forum!).  I had to disconnect and move my computer today, and although I have installed the monitors back into their original ports, the Nvidia surround configuration app no longer allows me to setup any resolution greater than 1080x3240.  I recall it originally being 1080x5760.   This seems to cause the monitors to align vertically.  The app won't allow me to reorient the in landscape nor does it offer anything greater than 3240.   All this in windows 10.

Any advice is appreciated,

Brian

Edited by brianVancouver
clarity

Issue is resolved.

It required disabling surround and resetting the resolution of the primary display, followed by reconfiguring surround.  With that the proper landscape layout and 5760x1080 resolution became available,

Brian

@brianVancouver, using the Nvidia surround, you are seeing the side monitor distortions as we all are, correct? Are they bothersome? What angle do you have the side monitors set up with respect to the center monitor? At my 65 degrees the distortion is very disturbing. I'm not sure multi-monitor is a benefit over a single one for MSFS.

• Like 1

Brian ... I'm having the same issue with my three monitor set-up - can't get SLI to work (worked fine before).  Did you reset the resolution via the monitor menu?   

Btw ... when I try the SLI set-up, I get a "connection error" with a super unhelpful link back to a Nvidia home page.

On 8/20/2020 at 10:10 AM, Halichopter said:

using the Nvidia surround, you are seeing the side monitor distortions as we all are, correct? Are they bothersome? What angle do you have the side monitors set up with respect to the center monitor? At my 65 degrees the distortion is very disturbing. I'm not sure multi-monitor is a benefit over a single one for MSFS.

Hey, Halichopter dude. Are you the same person on the new FS forum? You and I exchanged a brief dialog on triple monitors if you recall.

I wrote an article on the geometric distortion just last night. Despite my attempts to like it, I came to the same conclusion. At this point, sacrificing CPU and GPU to run 3 monitors is not worth it. It distracts from flying, rather than help with flying. The article: https://xinhaidude.com/2020/08/22/geometric-distortion-in-a-triple-monitor-setup-for-msfs-2020-compared-to-xplane-11/

Here is one example image:

article-image-geometric-distortion-in-a-

I don't know if this is of use, but I found the solution to be, in the Nvidia app, to toggle the surround Configure off and then set it up for a single monitor.  After a reboot, I toggled Configure back on and was then presented with the option to set it for 5760x1080.  I'm guessing (??) that it had reset to a single monitor and wasn't allowing me the necessary 5760 alternative until I went through the process of properly resetting as a single monitor first.  Again -- guessing.

As for the distortion, while its there, it isn't bothering me that much.  I don't seem to have to dial down my graphic settings to maintain the 3 monitors and system performance so I'm good with it until a solution comes about.  Perhaps thats just me,

Brian

15 hours ago, brianVancouver said:

As for the distortion, while its there, it isn't bothering me that much.  I don't seem to have to dial down my graphic settings to maintain the 3 monitors and system performance so I'm good with it until a solution comes about.  Perhaps thats just me...

Lucky you 🙂 If I didn't have to dial down my graphics setting to accommodate two more side monitors, I too would probably also put up with the distortions 😄

Hi Fred, yes I'm the same Halichopter. 🙂  I have since reverted to X-Plane because I am using it for serious flight training, not to look at pretty scenery. I will wait until MS provides native support for multiple monitors. In my case it is the 3 display monitors plus one touchscreen which I use with AirManager and Knobster to have the instrument panel available to manipulate. I need all 4 monitors to be supported plus the instrument panel 'popout' to the touchscreen. My setup is below

I encourage anyone with three monitors like myself (3x24"@6048x1080) to try what I posted here. Certainly far from ideal, but the visual advantage over single screen is obvious while avoiding distortion and without hindering performance as much. While waiting for a fix, of course.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/581753-geometric-distortion-in-a-triple-monitor-setup-for-msfs-2020/?do=findComment&comment=4318155