Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

MSFS 2020 and FltPlan Go app

Have twice contacted support at FltPlan.com inquiring about support for MSFS for their FltPlan Go apps for iPad and Android.  The responses I get, not automated, provide a clear indication that the support staff is just not understanding what MSFS is.  I was informed in one exchange that it should still work (I guess like FSX???)  

Has anyone given it a try with the app as the app is now?  I am in the maintenance hanger waiting out a new system build.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I hope to try it tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted. 

Dan

• Like 1

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Have twice contacted support at FltPlan.com inquiring about support for MSFS for their FltPlan Go apps for iPad and Android.  The responses I get, not automated, provide a clear indication that the support staff is just not understanding what MSFS is.  I was informed in one exchange that it should still work (I guess like FSX???)  

Has anyone given it a try with the app as the app is now?  I am in the maintenance hanger waiting out a new system build.

Isn't that free? I wouldn't expect them to support a game. ForeFlight? Sure. Garmin Pilot? Sure. FltPlan Go? Not so much. 

Just now, mtr75 said:

Isn't that free? I wouldn't expect them to support a game. ForeFlight? Sure. Garmin Pilot? Sure. FltPlan Go? Not so much. 

They support both X-Plane and P3D as GPS sources. I use the app every time I fly a proper flight in X-Plane. 

I doubt MSFS2020 will be supported as they are focusing on the "pro" level sims. It's a great tool in the full motion sim for training. 

• Like 1

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

6 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

FltPlan has provided support for FSX, xPlane, and P3D for years.  I and many others rely on it.  Several years ago I posted an in-depth review of all that it provides and most who have looked at it are astonished at the depth and coverage.

What for crying out loud is the issue about it being provided without charge?  It is a real world aviation app that also just happens to hook into the simulators it supports.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 minutes ago, fppilot said:

FltPlan has provided support for FSX, xPlane, and P3D for years.  I and many others rely on it.  Several years ago I posted an in-depth review of all that it provides and most who have looked at it are astonished at the depth and coverage.

What for crying out loud is the issue about it being provided without charge?  It is a real world aviation app that also just happens to hook into the simulators it supports.

Color me both surprised and corrected. Do you get VFR and IFR charts for free? 

3 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Color me both surprised and corrected. Do you get VFR and IFR charts for free? 

Yes, they are the FAA variant but fully free and downloadable for offline use. 

Tom

1 minute ago, t_bergman said:

Yes, they are the FAA variant but fully free and downloadable for offline use. 

That’s crazy. Approach plates as well or no? And the whole shebang is free?

Fltplan Go was working with the FSX SimConnect in the Alpha and Beta of FS2020.  I uninstalled the FSX Simconnect being worried about legacy simconnect and conflicts.  As a result after downloading the release version of FS2020 I can't get the FltPlan Go application to even start anymore.  I am about to re-install the FSX SDK and see if it works again.  I will post the results here.  I don't think there will be any conflict issues.  I was just trying to rid myself completely of any legacy stuff.  My expectation is that it will work again after I install the FSX SimConnect.

1 minute ago, mtr75 said:

That’s crazy. Approach plates as well or no? And the whole shebang is free?

Whole thing is free, approach plates and airport charts with geo referencing. 

If you can get ahold of an iPad it's a game changer. 

• Like 2

Tom

Funny. I was thinking about this today as I was using the app due to their being no airport info within the sim... So I was using it to get info on airports, approach charts etc. I wondered if this could be integrated into the sim! Heres hoping. 

16 minutes ago, t_bergman said:

Whole thing is free, approach plates and airport charts with geo referencing. 

Live moving map; live weather radar overlay including weather fronts and altitude-selectable wind barbs; create flight plans on the web site and they are there a minute later to download into the app; edit feature which provides snap-line edit to adjust flight route; approach plates can be called up to overlay on the map; snap-line edit to approach to select fixes; E6B functions and a conversions calculator; ability to navigate the app to the web site if wished to adjust flight plan (requires another download - which happens in seconds; airport data is nearly live with up-to-the-minute metars; approach plates and airport diagrams can be updated in milliseconds; if you are on a home network connection you can fly with live maps, eliminating the need to download and store them on your device...

I'm missing the mention of some items here....  Oh! On the website you can custom tune aircraft specific performance for up to 10 of your aircraft, starting with profiles that already exist there.  Or you can just use the profiles already there.

Here is a five year old review I posted here on Avsim, and I had not at that time learned its full capabilities.  And it has gotten better.
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/471387-fltplan-go-app-for-ipad-way-cool/

Hey. Hit me with a couple of likes.  I'm only four short of 1,000....

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3

Frank Patton
ASUS 

15 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Live moving map; live weather radar overlay including weather fronts and altitude-selectable wind barbs; create flight plans on the web site and they are there a minute later to download into the app; edit feature which provides snap-line edit to adjust flight route; approach plates can be called up to overlay on the map; snap-line edit to approach to select fixes; E6B functions and a conversions calculator; ability to navigate the app to the web site if wished to adjust flight plan (requires another download - which happens in seconds; airport data is nearly live with up-to-the-minute metars; approach plates and airport diagrams can be updated in milliseconds; if you are on a home network connection you can fly with live maps, eliminating the need to download and store them on your device...

I'm missing the mention of some items here....  Oh! On the website you can custom tune aircraft specific performance for up to 10 of your aircraft, starting with profiles that already exist there.  Or you can just use the profiles already there.

Here is a five year old review I posted here on Avsim, and I had not at that time learned its full capabilities.  And it has gotten better.
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/471387-fltplan-go-app-for-ipad-way-cool/

Hey. Hit me with a couple of likes.  I'm only four short of 1,000....

Is it ad-based or are they just nice? I don’t get it. That’s incredible. I’m the moron paying $500 a year for Jepp charts on FF, by the way. 

1 minute ago, mtr75 said:

Is it ad-based or are they just nice? I don’t get it. That’s incredible. I’m the moron paying $500 a year for Jepp charts on FF, by the way. 

It’s ad free for now, but Garmin bought them some time ago, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it shut down eventually in favor of Gamin’s Pilot service. 

10 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

s it ad-based or are they just nice?

There is aviation advertising on the web site but it is not intrusive and often interesting.  There are no ads in the app.  Again, it is a real world aviation app first, then it supports the respective simulators.  Would not be good to throw ads out in front of someone using the app in the air.

Here is a partial screenie of the web site:

image.thumb.png.ef123a52afb323aa92e08d8a6290dbaa.png

Frank Patton
ASUS