Sign in to follow this  
mikegrr

simple question..how do you create a desktop icon?

It should be easy, I know, but where is the location of mfs,exe, or whatever it's called. The installation did not create a desktop icon. Doesn't appear to be in program files.

Also do I need to run the program as administrator?

Thanks

In gamepass I had the icon on the left hand side of their launcher. If you click on it an option was move to desktop.

Brendon Isaac

ahh, sorry, I am not familiar with gamepass. I can pin the the sim to the task bar, but I cannot enable properties,

Just unpin it and move it to the desktop then you have an icon

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm not using gamepasss, I bought the game outright from Amazon. I can't see any way to launch it other than launching the Store app and launching from there. Surely there has to be a way to put an icon on my desktop and taskbar. But how?

1 hour ago, rhadkins2002 said:

I'm not using gamepasss, I bought the game outright from Amazon. I can't see any way to launch it other than launching the Store app and launching from there. Surely there has to be a way to put an icon on my desktop and taskbar. But how?

Check this thread out: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_store-winpc/how-to-create-desktop-shortcut-for-apps-from/758e190e-2101-49e7-bd63-163d461cac90 and this article: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5328/windows-10-tip-create-shortcuts-for-universal-apps

But I purchased MSFS from Windows Store, not from Amazon.  I was able to place the MSFS app on my desktop such that I don't have to launch Windows Store to play MSFS.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

I found a solution on a YouTube video that works great.

Type CTRL-R  type shell:appsfolder

When that window opens, scroll down to Microsoft Flight Simulator then you can drag a shortcut onto your desktop and/or add a link to your taskbar. Easy-Peazy.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 12:22 PM, mikegrr said:

ahh, sorry, I am not familiar with gamepass. I can pin the the sim to the task bar, but I cannot enable properties,

to add an icon to taskbar right click on the taskbar icon that appears while the app is running and select "pin to task bar"

to get properties of a program or "run as administrator" on any taskbar icon

1. right click on the icon on the taskbar

2. right click a second time, this time on the name of the program that appears in the pop up menu