Sign in to follow this  
Jeff 83

Aircraft night lighting

OK, before everyone jumps me for nitpicking I am only bringing this up because this feature already works to some extent.

Does anybody else's strobe lights illuminate the ground or other objects? The beacon lights up the tail section of all the aircraft but the strobes which are meant to be very bright are only just small pinpricks of light that do nothing at all.

Also I think the taxi lights are ok but the landing lights need a lot more reach ahead of the aircraft.

Cheers

Well my strobes light the ground, maybe not as bright as i would expect.

The landing lights definitely need more reach.

I feel the beacon is a little overdone.

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

Yeah, I think the strobes are a bit weedy.

There's been occasions where I've been on the ramp at night at an airport and an engineer's been on the flight deck testing the strobes on an airliner when I've had by back to it, and when those strobes went on, I thought it was a lighting flash. That's how bright they are in reality. Nav lights don't really tend to light up the ground much at all on an airliner. The taxi lights on an airliner are absolutely goddam blinding if they point at you.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 minutes ago, Chock said:

There's been occasions where I've been on the ramp at night at an airport and an engineer's been on the flight deck testing the strobes on an airliner when I've had by back to it, and when those strobes went on, I thought it was a lighting flash. That's how bright they are in reality. Nav lights don't really tend to light up the ground much at all on an airliner. The taxi lights on an airliner are absolutely goddam blinding if they point at you.

I like you knowing exactly what the lights look in general also think they could be improved alot . speaking of taxi lights years ago when i was young and acting like owned the ramp i once word not allowed off a UPS captain that was a regular at KIAH and the way i knew he was the one taxing in the AC was because he will never turn them lights off till just after the last turn towards me lol ... I walked up to the stairs one morning at like 3am with sunglasses just so he could see me and told him ....... word not allowed ... you got nothing on me keep them lights on all night lolll .. over time we became good friends after i told him at the time i was already working on my multi rating and later he gave me some good advice . unfortunately Covid19 took him away ... 

• Upvote 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I found that beacon lights on the 152 doesn’t make the aircraft shadow, so it illuminates everything across the tail section. 

Also, the one single strobe effect... idk if that exist, I usually see that strobe ones which aren’t LED blink a few times. 

And on the NEO... well... strobes doesn’t follow the tail real pattern (wings are a two fast blink, and tail one longer). B787... where to start... 

Edited by aleex

Yeah, I took a night flight in the Bo.. it was interesting. If you put the taxilight on with gear retracted it illuminates your cabin. Also, with all lights off there is an odd glow in the airplane, with no obvious light source.... The strobes don't bounce off clouds... doesn't look right. They are overall very weak. Landing lights and taxi lights look good, but not enough light... weak. The G1000 does not dim enough. 

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Off Topic -  but I thought about you yesterday as I took my first flight from Liverpool to see how the city looked

I know that on Orbyx TE - we had a true "Cathedral to spare and the pier head was there " BUT 

not even the Liver birds according to Mr BING 

Yeah, some of the UK is not well represented in terms of being exactly like it is in actuality, but in fairness, it is mostly close enough to still allow VFR flying, for example, my home town of Stockport isn't super-accurately portrayed, but in spite of this, I was able to easily visually pick up the town's main railway station pretty much the moment I got up off the runway at EGCC, then turn to fly down the line until it splits off onto the Buxton line along which my house is located, then spot the park behind my house from a good long way off.

Where my girlfriend's house is, there's a park and a school nearby (my old primary school in fact). The park is there, but there are houses plonked on where the school and its grounds are, so that bit is completely wrong visually. Neverthless, I found it really easily because it is easy to place from several parks, railway lines and such which are nearby

Anyone who flies VFR for real knows that it's stuff like railway lines, lakes, rivers and such which are the main things you go off, and you certainly can do that, which is remarkable for something 'straight out of the box'. For FSX and P3D, I've bought loads of VFR sceneries and FSX Evolution autogen, Orbx etc, etc just to get it in the ballpark of looking anywhere near as good as that.

I personally hope that people will bang out community models for NW landmarks such as Blackpool Tower, Jodrell Bank's Lovell radio telescope, the Three Graces etc.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

53 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yeah, some of the UK is not well represented in terms of being exactly like it is in actuality,

Still off topic: Ha! You should try Africa. We got Cape Town as a detailed airport (done nicely too) but the biggest international airport on the continent (FAOR) is at best generic FSX standard. Roads are in the right places but buildings and scenery are generics all the way. This is not a knock, I'm sure 3rd party developers will improve on this soon enough. 

Back on topic: both landing lights and taxi lights are way to weak in my opinion. While I have not tried out every aircraft, some like the C172 hardly illuminate anything ahead of the nose wheel. I really hope that this gets fixed soon.   

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor