Sign in to follow this  
IanHarrison

Windows 2004 upgrade

Just asking on here, as there are so many knowledgable people!!

My Windows 10 update section is informing me that the 2004 update is now OK for my PC.

I tried yesterday 3 times to update ( at a cost of about 3 gigs each time). Each time it downloads, goes as far as installing then restarts, then NOTHING.

System info remains at v1909.

I don't need to update but it would be nice.

Any ideas what could be preventing the update?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Hi IanHArrison,

try the following options.

1) Try the updatepackage: 2020-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x86-based Systems (KB4566782)

2) WindowsUpdateDiagnostic: Microsoft´s repairtool

3) Microsoft´s MediaCreation Tool 2004. That worked for me after houers of fiddeling arround with other sugested methods. I do not know if this link works Link for CreationTool but in german language. Just download the tool from microsoft, accept the licence terms and let it do the magic. The exact file name is: "MediaCreationTool2004.exe" (google it).

If it works please let others and me know what worked. After the update is done try the new "hardware accelerated GPU planning" funktion in 2004! Click on 'Search' on the taskbar and type “Graphics Settings”. Click on the first option to open Windows Graphics settings. Click the toggle under “Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling” to enable the feature. Improved the performance of MSFS immensly on my system. Helped especially to negate microstutters when panning the few with TrackIR.

Happy flying. 🙂

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

In reply. Thanks for the tips.

1) Says package is not cpmpatible with my PC,

2) Cannot find anything wrong.

3) Downloads, installs, reboots but Windows is still at v1909.

So nothing works, so far.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

8 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

In reply. Thanks for the tips.

1) Says package is not cpmpatible with my PC,

2) Cannot find anything wrong.

3) Downloads, installs, reboots but Windows is still at v1909.

So nothing works, so far.

Check all your device drivers are up to date this could cause a problem, some users think if it`s not broke don`t update that can come back to bite you.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Just to let you know that I have just completed my 15 th attempt (having tried all the methods so far suggested) and every one has failed.

I have now wasted about 40 gb of data to no avail. 

Tried normal update, Safe mode, iso file, removing all anti virus and anything I could find on the Internet.

Everything goes right through to the last stages (Installing........) and seems to almost finish and then stops and rolls back.

The iso seems to complete, gives no message but then the version stays the same at 1909.

I am giving up.

Ian

Have you contacted MS Support?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

There is only an automated Help link, which doesn't help.

55 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

There is only an automated Help link, which doesn't help.

Try clicking on the following and then click on "Talk to an agent" on the far right side of the page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/virtual-agent/?flowId=smc-ivr&userInput=talk to an agent&partnerId=smc

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

It is late now. Will try tomorrow.

Thanks.

Quick update. Three chats with "Agents" resulted in no progress. Each one had their own solution but in the end, the result was the same: at the end of the update process, it either undid the changes or finished but the version remained at 1909.

Maybe the only thing left is to remove Windows completely and install as a fresh OS. That would lose everything though and would probably require re-installing every program.

Don't know that I could face that.😒

Ian,

Managing many (~300) desktops running 1909 and 2004, I have learned that every update before 2004 must be run first. Attempt to do a check for updates and be absolutely sure that you have run every update. Try that first and let us know.

Best of luck...

Chris

Hoping For CAVU --- Chris

On 9/17/2020 at 6:40 PM, cgbart said:

Ian,

Managing many (~300) desktops running 1909 and 2004, I have learned that every update before 2004 must be run first. Attempt to do a check for updates and be absolutely sure that you have run every update. Try that first and let us know.

Best of luck...

Chris

OK done all that, all updates confirmed. Latest thing I tried was to physically disconnect all SSDs and HDs (except the m2 SSD, too awkward to get at). Then ran in clean boot mode with no USB items attached. No luck.

Then tried the same with an iso. All that happened was it completed after about an hour or so but WINver stayed on 1909.

This is now over 20 attempts,😭

Strange indeed.

My laptop just told me it needed a reboot, & there it was, OS build 19041.508

Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Would this be the current latest version?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

52 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Strange indeed.

My laptop just told me it needed a reboot, & there it was, OS build 19041.508

Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Would this be the current latest version?

Thats  what i got  installed  at  the moment  on  my  pc

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I actually like the new Alt Tab feature showing open Edge tabs as well.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...