Sign in to follow this  
Cargostorm

MSFS no longer working after Windows 1909 to 2004 Update

Hello MSFS flight simmers,

two days ago I installed MSFS via the Xbox PC Game Pass on my Windows 1909 installation. The installation went without further problems and I could test the simulator for a couple of flights. Yesterday I updated my Windows machine to the current 2004 build. And now I feel left alone because the simulator is no longer working and its content is no longer recognized. The simulator urges me to download the content although the downloaded package (and the whole program installation) is already on the SSD:

H:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2747420216-4247728082-1660942575-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Official\

It appears to be a neverending loop, the downloaded package is not recognized.

As a consequence I have downloaded the whole 93 GB content a second time for the new build (this time with an other download path). However, the software still does not find the package and always want's me to redownload the whole content again. At one point, the downloaded package was recognized and the program started, but then again the blue installation bar hang at 80%. Now the software wants me to download the content again.

Is there any way to hint the software to the downloaded content and to make the installation work again? I tried to make junction links for the C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\ folder, but that did not work.

I am frustrated that a Windows update made the MSFS installation basically unusable.

I do not want to download the whole content a third time. I hope there is a way to solve this problem.

Is there a way to delete the MSFS installation. It does not appear under "Programs and Features"?

If I should buy the standalone Standard version and cancel the Game Pass subscription, do I need to redownload the content again?

Any help is appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Edited by Cargostorm

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I have contacted Asobo / Microsoft, however they just replied with a very generic email that did not help.

At the end I found myself a solution that helped to restore the MSFS installation following the major Windows update:

1. I repaired MSFS under PC Settings - Apps. I had a repair button that restored all the necessary folders and links under

Your Drive:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2747420216-4247728082-1660942575-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

2. In order to avoid a further download of the full content package, I have copied the folders "Community" and "Official" into

Your Drive:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2747420216-4247728082-1660942575-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\

The "Official" folder contains the downloaded content package.

By doing these two steps (repair and making sure that the Official folder is at the right place), I could restore the MSFS on the new Windows build.

Hope this helps, if somebody should run into similar issues.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Chris. Glad you could get MSFS working again. How is the Sim running on the new Windows update? I also updated to Windows 10 2004 tonight after reading that it could assist with crash to desktop problems I have been experiencing..

The update took ages to complete after which my computer was sluggish to restart. I could get MSFS to open but it took longer than before and could initiate a short flight or two. All went well until I tried to slew when it crashed again! Both flights were short so I could be wrong but my FPS also seemed marginally lower than before with the same graphics settings.

Hope I did not make a mistake by installing the update.

I installed to G:\drive and have Win Pro 2004 version that works well.

The only problem is that scenery is installed in two places simultaneously.

I just did the same upgrade in Windows 10 (1904 to 2004).  FS 2020 now runs faster than ever!  No problems of any kind starting or running the Sim after the upgrade.

My Windows system is on a dedicated SSD Drive C and FS 2020 a dedicated SSD Drive D and there appears to be no problems with my version of the update.

Edited by TacomaSailor

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

This is something we all need to watch and post here. Spring and Fall Windows updates need to be tested before we all update.  We may need to check with Asobo before we update moving forward.  

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

On 8/21/2020 at 11:58 PM, Riaan77077 said:

Chris. Glad you could get MSFS working again. How is the Sim running on the new Windows update? I also updated to Windows 10 2004 tonight after reading that it could assist with crash to desktop problems I have been experiencing..

So far MSFS never crashed or CTDed with Win 10 2004. Everything as before. Couldn't say there is a difference. But to be honest MSFS is not really smooth when I compare it with P3D or XP11.50. Still a lot of stutters and freezes going on, which makes the simulator no fun. Disabling in Process Lasso "Windows Dynamic Thread Boost" I was at least able to eliminate the regular freezes of 5 to 10 seconds (!) where nothing reacts anymore and you just stay in the air. I have seen the very same behaviour on Youtube streams having a much more potent system than I have (i7-4790K@4.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX1080TI, SSD, G-SYNC 1440p monitor). Seems that CPU spikes a lot on the main thread.

Edited by Cargostorm

Regards,

Chris

--