Sign in to follow this  
LittleBlueAlien

FS2020 - CTD when trying to fly from Iceland (BIKF)

Hi All,

Just comparing notes - several times I've tried to set up a flight from Keflavik (BIKF) to Goose Bay (CYYR) and the flight loads to 90% and then CTD.

If I change location to anywhere else (so far) - it's fine.  Changing aircraft or routing requirements makes no difference.  It's like there's some sort of bug impacting on the scenery for that region of the world.  Just curious if anyone else can reproduce.

ALSO - does ANYONE know where to report bugs to Microsoft (NOT the beta site) for the release version???

All the best,

Dev

Specs:

- Ryzen 5 3600
- 16 GB 3200
- Nvid 1660 Super with latest driver
- 500 Gb SSD (50% full)

Edited by LittleBlueAlien
added detail

its low ram i think.  invcrease your swap file.  same thing happened to me at sfo and lax, but at small palces it loads.  i needed 16 plus 8 at sfo and 16 (physical) and 12 swap for lax.  you can use task manager to see it get used up.

I get the same problem on the SW of Iceland. Flying from BIRK west via BIKF FS crashes at the same point each time during flight just NE of BIKF. I have 32 GB of RAM and have not seen it ever getting low.

Same here! I was coming in from Reykjavik airport to Keflavik flying a GA aircraft (Robin 400 or Cessna 172) when the game suddenly shuts off and kicks me back to Windows 10. Tried it 4 or 5 times, and every time it was game over. I find it difficult to believe that it would be a memory issue.  It seems to me an irregularity in the map or something.

Config:

MSI Z370 Krait gaming ATC motherboard

Intel i7-8700K processor, no overclock

HyperX Predator DDR4 32Gb (4x8Gb 3000 MHz)

Corsair RM1000i 1000W ATX modular power supply unit

NVidia GeForce  GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb GDDR5X video card

Windows10 Home & MSFS2020 on SSD 500Gb, additional software on conventional HD 2Tb

I am having the same problem except I am flying P3D v4.5. Not only in Iceland but in other parts of the world. I have discovered that some of my saved flights don't have this problem and if I fly one of them for a while then go back to the one that is crashing most of the time it will fly. But there are some saved flights that always CTD at the same location in the flight.  If this problem is being experienced in MSFS and P3D v4.5 maybe it's not the flight sim. Maybe it's Windows 10.  Is anyone else using P3D v4 having this problem?

i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1T PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S., Altec Surround Sound System.

Here is more on the CTD always happening in the same location. Last night I was flying the same flight that has been crashing in about the same place each time. P3D v4.5 froze like it usually does before it goes to CTD. I made note of the coordinates and they were Lat N41 44.40 and Lon W7 30.01. So I started the flight again but this time instead of turning left towards the west I turned right towards the east for about 20 miles then turned south for about 30 miles then turned west. At this point all is well. Traveling west when I got to N41 11.39 and W7 30.02 the sim hung up and I had to let it CTD. Notice the longitude coordinate. In both crashes it is W7 30.01 or 2. It's like the plane is hitting an invisible wall at W7 30.01. I am going to try this again tonight but I am going to go much further south before turning west and see if it happens again at W7 30.01.  Those of you who are having CTDs at the same place in a flight. Have you tried an experiment like I am doing? It is odd that this is happening with both MSFS and P3D. It does seem to be scenery related but I am using ORBX scenery and I assume you MSFS guys are using the MSFS default scenery.  In my flight I am taking off from LPCH runway 34 in Portugal. After airbourne I turn left at the end of the runway and take a heading of about 271.  When I get to Long W7 30.01 The sim freezes saying it is not responding (sound is still going). If I click anywhere on the screens (I use 3) everything grays out and the only thing I can do is shut it down. Sometimes it goes straight to CTD after freezing.

Edited by BigT65

i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1T PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2T HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S., Altec Surround Sound System.

OK, tonight I flew south 180 miles before turning to the west.  When I got to W7* 30.00' the sim froze then CTDed.  I definately looks like there is some problem with longitude W7* 30.00'.  

OK, I'm back with a little more information on this issue. I did go over to the opposite longitude and there was no CTD there. So I flew east all the way to longitude W74* 59' where the sim stopped and CTDed. I was thinking that this was going to take place at W59* but it was actually W74* 59'.  Then I decided to go as far north as I could to try it from there. So I flew to N83* 31'  W76* 30' and started flying east when I got to W74* 59'  the sim stopped and CTDed.  So it looks like I am not allowed to fly all the airspace between W7* 30' and W74* 59'  A total of 67 longitudinal degrees and 29' pole to pole. I still don't know if this is an ORBX problem or a P3D v4 problem.  I have either uninstalled and reinstalled or verified all of my ORBX scenery. I had in the recent past ran the repair option on all the components of P3D v4.5.  I am going to try that again before I think about doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of P3D v4.5.

For me and one other person (posted down below in the CTD subforum) it's the Seattle area in particular. 

Anyone else here?  I did everything the MS people told me to (basically a link to a troubleshooting page I'd already seen) and nothing helped.  For me it seems more likely to crash with the TBM 930 but it happens almost as much in the twin Diamond.  

I'm going to try upping my pagefile again.

I ended up doing a re-install of P3D v4.5  The method I used did not require me to reinstall all my scenery and aircraft. It worked very well. Solved the invisible wall and CTD problem.

On 8/29/2020 at 11:57 PM, hawkmanavsim said:

its low ram i think.  invcrease your swap file.  same thing happened to me at sfo and lax, but at small palces it loads.  i needed 16 plus 8 at sfo and 16 (physical) and 12 swap for lax.  you can use task manager to see it get used up.

Thx.  This seems to have fixed my issue.  I still think there's some memory leakage going on somehow.  I have 16gb physical and upped my swapfile to 2.4-20gb.

Edited by JZL