Sign in to follow this  
thegeneral101

Stuttering Frames - Whats Causing it?

3 hours ago, thegeneral101 said:

Can you clarify the Nvidia setting? So you move the slider to "maximum performance" and let the sim control the graphics settings? So I have that slider almost all the way over to the other side, and am assuming it forces more rendering. But maybe I should try to go to max performance in nvidia panel and then ultra settings in the sim? 

I am referring to the power management option in the Nvidia control panel.  It is not a slider but rather just 3 options (auto, maximum performance, or optimal power).  This is entirely independent from graphical settings in the sim and just regulates how much of your GPU actually gets used

Mark Javornik

Volumetric clouds on high and ultra cause stutters and drop in frames especially if your render scaling is high.

Try turning on Windows Game Mode On or Off to see if it makes a difference in either state.

https://support.xbox.com/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/use-game-mode-gaming-on-pc

1. Press the Start button , and then select Settings.
  2. Choose Gaming > Game Mode.
  3. Turn Game Mode On or Off.
Edited by Slides

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

So let me understand this correctly: The op posted that he is specifically running spad.next, and you guys are asking him to do a thousand different things when simconnect is a known bug that causes big fps loss and stutters?

So, OP, did cutting out spad.next and other simconnect issues solve your issue? Anything that uses simconnect must be killed untill the bug is fixed. 

• Like 3

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

hello !

try to limit your FPS with the NVIDIA Control Panel, not in MSFS !

I´m very happy with 33 FPS - yes there are some stutters anyway but it feels much smoother ! it´s the same old staff like in P3D !

cheers !

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD

It is absolutely SPAC.Next and the Simconnect extension it uses. Silky smooth on ultra settings without my logitech panels (albeit at avg 27fps). 

I know this is an old thread, but I'm also getting a freeze for about half a second, 2-6 times a minute when simconnect is running. If I shut down simconnect, it goes away. I'm on the latest version, SU5, as of 9/1/21

This has been an ongoing issue with simconnect for a while now.  It has unfortunately caused me to have to put Neofly aside for now, which is a shame.  For what it's worth, it was present under SU4, as well.

On 8/20/2020 at 10:19 AM, Colonel X said:

Another thing I've tried because it came up in another thread:

1. Set VSYNC to half refresh rate in NVIDIA control panel.

2. Set VSYNC on and to 60FPS in Asobosim.

Result: No changes, see above.

Maybe you fixed it already as I haven't looked further down the thread, but the solution is slightly different for getting the most out of your CPU/GPU in MSFS in terms of smoothness and freedom from stutterin:

1.  Use Global settings in NCP, so Vsync should be Application Dependent, or off.  

2.  The only setting that matters in NCP beyond Sharpening if you prefer that, and DSR, is to set Low Latency in NCP to Ultra*

3.  Set Vsync to On in MSFS, and choose 30 as the frame limit.**

4.  Start your flight in MSFS after choosing your flight plan in the World Planner etc.

5.  Go into Options > Dev Mode Enable > Dev Mode Disable/Off***

6.  Now proceed w/ your flight.

*this gives you ~12% reduction of GPU utilization w/ no untoward effect, provided the CPU main thread is not maxed, which it should not be if you followed #3 above.

**this assumes a monitor refresh rate of 60Hz.

***gets rid of the microstutter associated w/ the white spinning console indicator in the lower right part of your display.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Since this thread has been brought back to life, maybe I could ask this:

In the UserCfg file, what does this mean, and should I try set the Quality to 3 instead of 0?

{Graphics
    Version 1.1.0
    Preset Custom
    {Texture
        MaxAnisotropy 16
        Quality 0

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

On 9/1/2021 at 11:38 AM, Noel said:

Maybe you fixed it already as I haven't looked further down the thread, but the solution is slightly different for getting the most out of your CPU/GPU in MSFS in terms of smoothness and freedom from stutterin:

1.  Use Global settings in NCP, so Vsync should be Application Dependent, or off.  

2.  The only setting that matters in NCP beyond Sharpening if you prefer that, and DSR, is to set Low Latency in NCP to Ultra*

3.  Set Vsync to On in MSFS, and choose 30 as the frame limit.**

4.  Start your flight in MSFS after choosing your flight plan in the World Planner etc.

5.  Go into Options > Dev Mode Enable > Dev Mode Disable/Off***

6.  Now proceed w/ your flight.

*this gives you ~12% reduction of GPU utilization w/ no untoward effect, provided the CPU main thread is not maxed, which it should not be if you followed #3 above.

**this assumes a monitor refresh rate of 60Hz.

***gets rid of the microstutter associated w/ the white spinning console indicator in the lower right part of your display.

Setting vsync to on at 30 in the latest updates significantly reduced my stutters. I think simconnect is still causing some, but it has definitely improved. 

2 hours ago, thegeneral101 said:

Setting vsync to on at 30 in the latest updates significantly reduced my stutters. I think simconnect is still causing some, but it has definitely improved. 

Great, be sure to try #5 above as well. This is a consistent source of stutters frequently when the spinning console logger appears you will get a microstutter.  All you have to do is enable then immediately disable Dev Mode and this stops the spinner from doing this, though your flight won't be logged.  Again, no need to stay in Dev Mode, just toggle on then off.

In fact, be sure to do ALL of the other steps for the best stutter-free experience.

Cheers

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 8/20/2020 at 4:30 PM, reignman40 said:

In my case I did have a secret cure. A single background task was causing stutters. I know I sound like a broken record on this forum but check task manager. For me ending lightingservice.exe magically made my sim smooth. 

I could totally believe this. I formatted my system and all the stutters went away entirely. There was something definitely wrong with my system prior to the wipe and I'm guessing something was running that I didn't want running.

My Power management in NVCP is set to Prefer maximum performance 

Max Frames at 45

Since I have Multiplayer and live traffic to off, honestly, the sim haven’t been smoother. Also frame are eve stable and almost no stutters.

Also while panning the camera in the cockpit and externally is so smoothwith nearly no FPS lost.

Is Perfect 

I disconnected every USB device I had, and uninstalled them using USB Deview, I then shutdown every process I didn't need using Process Lasso. Whether I'm in Flat screen or VR, I get these freezes if simconnect is running. Kill simconnect, and the freezes go away. It's odd as CPU/GPU usage drops to zero for half a second.

untitled-png.86197