Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

When you're wrong, you're wrong - and boy was I wrong

For reference, I'm referring to this thread that I posted yesterday: Anybody have any bug spray? My first flight: C152

So I finally got all my controls set up the way I wanted, and took my third flight in the sim today. Now I will preface this by saying that ground handling is terrible. I still think the torque factor on initial power application is ridiculous, although once you're airborne p-factor is fine. And the actual in-flight handling of the 152 seems pretty darn good. It's beautifully modeled. I love the prop effect, looks very realistic. But once you touch down again on landing it's right back to being garbage.

But that aside, on my setup (stock 8700K, no OC, GTX1080, 16 GB of "whatever" RAM), the sim runs absolutely wonderfully on Ultra settings in 2K. This is with live weather and live traffic.

If you look at the screenshots, the colors are spot on for the Caribbean. The inland water is different from the sea. They have accurately included those kind of wavy lines you see across the water at a distance. The vegetation is mostly spot-on, until you get really close in on landing where there are too many trees (and they're not appropriate for the region). The buildings are absolutely fantastic - correct in size and number, the colors accurately represented. The shorelines are just gorgeous, with the water rolling in. There was a cruise liner in St. Barts when I got there, which is sacrilegious, but we'll ignore that.

On the whole they've done an absolutely stunning job. Flying in my favorite region, the Caribbean, is going to be an absolute joy for years to come. Below a few screenshots, and then a video of my first landing in SBH. And this is STOCK SCENERY.

Edit: I'll add the video later, the upload is taking a while.

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-20-10-44-00-4

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-20-10-27-36-3

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-20-10-35-33-9

Desktop-Screenshot-2020-08-20-10-39-25-5

• Like 22
  • Upvote 1

And here is the video (HD version will be along shortly, it's processing...):

Edited by mtr75
  • Like 6

Mike, thanks for the post, and your apology to the forum (not to me, I wasn't expecting, nor did I require an apology). I've liked and commented over on youtube (username TachyonDriver over there). :cool:

Unless there was a crosswind, then why would the plane pull violently to the left when you don't have any power applied? Are you sure that you do not have a brake dragging within your controller setups?:unsure:

Great video - not going to watch the HD version because I use FSX:SE and I will cry. :blush: :biggrin:

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 minute ago, HighBypass said:

Mike, thanks for the post, and your apology to the forum (not to me, I wasn't expecting, nor did I require an apology). I've liked and commented over on youtube (username TachyonDriver over there). :cool:

Unless there was a crosswind, then why would the plane pull violently to the left when you don't have any power applied? Are you sure that you do not have a brake dragging within your controller setups?:unsure:

Great video - not going to watch the HD version because I use FSX:SE and I will cry. :blush: :biggrin:

Hey Mark,

Yeah, I don't really know, all I can think of is that the sim applied a torque factor? I don't quite understand it. And it doesn't look as dramatic in the video as it was when it happened. It really jerked hard left on me.

• Upvote 1

I've noticed that the weathervaning effect seems to be really pronounced and take effect the moment the main gear touches down. At least that's what I think it is. I've seen the same thing on most of my landings. The moment the mains touch down, I'm off to the left or the right... I went back and watched some of my real world landings in the Baron and I never have trouble with the centerline in real life...but in the sim...my ground handling looks like amateur hour...

Lovely pics and video!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Is it just me or are the physics in this game unrealistic?

puxjbsol9.gif

A bit of levity I think will go a long way vs the negativity is some of the other threads. Have a great upcoming weekend, fellow nextgen simmers!

Edited by SeanMo
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

They've modeled wing flex beautifully 😁

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Glad you're enjoying it afterall! 😊

Now fly at 7.900 feet. 😋

I refuse!!! 🤨

😉

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

I've noticed that the weathervaning effect seems to be really pronounced and take effect the moment the main gear touches down. At least that's what I think it is. I've seen the same thing on most of my landings. The moment the mains touch down, I'm off to the left or the right... I went back and watched some of my real world landings in the Baron and I never have trouble with the centerline in real life...but in the sim...my ground handling looks like amateur hour...

Lovely pics and video!

Yeah, exactly. And thank you!

(Also, you have my favorite plane in the world - do you have a youtube channel? I got the deluxe upgrade solely for the Baron!)

1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

where there are too many trees (and they're not appropriate for the region)

Please report these kind of findings to Asobo using the Zendesk support. The developers said they have to manually go in to spots where it is off to fix it. So if you see something that is not right, and you can add real photos to show how it should look like, do so.

I reported some of these myself. The algorithm for the trees gets confused by shadows on mountain riddges for example. I saw stuff on Sicily and the Cap Verdes islands where there are trees that should not be there.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1