Sign in to follow this  
oqvist

Do you fly better with yoke or joystick?

13 hours ago, vadriver said:

assume you are are talking about a sidestick (ie airbus style to the left/ right) could this be because it is difficult to fit a "yoke" in your "cockpit" ...... for me it's impossible to use a "yoke" in mine (a tidy little corner of my office)

if you can't move your "arms" properly (& in some real aircraft it happens eg PN68B's) then .....

No its joystick. Airbus should call theirs joystick they where second on the ball :D.

I think its because its just all axis is the same. On a yoke you steer like a car and then you push and pull on the other axis. Get equal x and y axis is not intuitive because the travel and resistance tend to differ.

But I do have room and fly with a yoke often. Civil aircrafts dont need any precision and its really lazy flying with a yoke and you have a lot of time to plan anyway. 

Not like dogfighting where you really need to be on top of your aircraft. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Most of time I use joystick, when I first use yoke (the saitek one) it takes me some time to get use to.

But after that, I can freely switch between them, even after some month not touching yoke at all, I still feel no problem when get one.

I'm not sure I prefer one over the other.

I know I try to use stick on a stickplane and yoke on a...yokeplane.  heh.  I really like my Thrustmaster T16000M for the price.  I'm almost tempted to buy that Airbus-themed T16000 they just released, but...as they said in Monty Python's Holy Grail...I've already GOT one.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I always fly with a yoke except in helicopters. More natural for me. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

A stick for me.  I learned to fly in a Luscombe way back when and it had a stick.

My yoke and rudder pedals are in the closet.  My stick is on my desk ready to fly anything.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

My eggs are the only thing that need a yolk!  My Extreme 3D joystick has always been reliable. 😀

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I'm just jealous that I didn't get the Honeycomb yoke, throttles and Thrustmaster pedals that MS sent out to various streamers some of which have no idea about simming :blush: That one girl Justine?? for example.. HOWEVER I know precisely WHY MS did this - she has more than 6 MILLION subscribers to her channel(s) - that's a whole country full of people potentially viewing her MSFS videos! A shrewd move, can't say I blame them.

I don't stream... and have no friends.. :tongue:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I've never flown a real aircraft, with the exception of being in the right-hand seat of a Cherokee when I went for a ride with a friend years ago and he let me "fly" the plane for a few minutes.

Anyway, I have both a yoke (PFC Cirrus Saab) and two joysticks (Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition and HOTAS Warthog). I use the yoke for aircraft that have yokes along with the Warthog throttle, and the Airbus Sidestick and Warthog throttle for aircraft that have sticks.

I find that I'm more comfortable using a yoke than a stick ... seems more natural for some reason.

• Like 1

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

4 hours ago, JRMurray said:

Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition

Did you recently purchase that?  Is that the one that was recently released?

Other than its appearance, do you know if it is pretty much the same as the Thrustmaster T16000M?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 8/27/2020 at 3:57 PM, Mace said:

Did you recently purchase that?  Is that the one that was recently released?

Other than its appearance, do you know if it is pretty much the same as the Thrustmaster T16000M?

Yes, I did, and you're correct: it was recently released. I ordered it through the Microsoft Store (the only place I could buy it in Canada on it was restocked on the Microsoft Store) and it was delivered two weeks ago.

I've never owned a Thrustmaster T1600M, but I understand that the TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition and the T1600M are pretty much the same.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Since I also fly in DCS, I love my VKB Gladiator K joystick. Most precise stick I have ever owned.

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Prior to PC's, I flew using a joystick. PC simming has always been via HOTAS. So, it goes without saying that the first time I tried a yoke in a sim was really difficult and unnatural. The many more years I'd been driving than flying didn't help either, since the yoke looks, but does not operate, like a steering wheel.

However, all the real-world flying I've done has been with a yoke. So, I'm OK operating with either, but I still prefer the oneness I feel with an aircraft when I have a stick in the right hand and throttle in the left.

Edited by PeterR

I usuall fly better with an aircraft strapped to my bum...

...but give me a cyclic and collective any day!

• Like 1

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Welcome to AVSIM, aussie :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)