Sign in to follow this  
oqvist

Do you fly better with yoke or joystick?

On 8/20/2020 at 11:35 PM, pmanhart said:

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product_cat=vkb-joysticks-and-rudders

I have a VKB with the MCG (modern combat grip) and couldn't be happier.

I saw the Gladiator NXT Premium, and I fell in love with it 🥰. However, coming from the X-52 I currently have, it's hard for me to go back to an integrated throttle, despite getting fed up with the friction I get in my current stick.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

It depends for me. Unfortunately, my hardware is pretty beaten so it's difficult to say. For more modern/fly by wire aircraft I prefer the stick. It just feels right when flying, I think it's probably because I fly my Airbus with the stick so much. Anything not fly by wire, I'd take a yoke. Trimming with a joystick feels weird in my opinion, and I really enjoy "working" the yoke, I feel like it gives me more control. However, the stick's convenience is brilliant. I know this is a flightsim, but a monster yoke on my desk means a lot of back straining to get to the keyboard 😄. Also, my stick is a better quality imho. But I'm kinda split right now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

I saw the Gladiator NXT Premium, and I fell in love with it 🥰. However, coming from the X-52 I currently have, it's hard for me to go back to an integrated throttle, despite getting fed up with the friction I get in my current stick.

I use a Logitech (formerly Saitek) USB Throttle with my Gladiator MCG. I hope to replace it with a Virpil or Warthog throttle eventually. I don’t actually have the base throttle mapped to anything at the moment, but map it to spoilers in combat sims as it’s something I don’t frequently use.

It really is hard to beat the precision and smoothness of the gimbal systems used in VKB and Virpil joysticks.

Edited by pmanhart

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I have never used a yoke. My PC flight simulation experience over nearly three decades has been almost exclusively with the CH Flightstick and CH Flightstick Pro joysticks.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, cyclone1 said:

I prefer to fly with either as long as I can reach the beer!

Ah yes - I'd forgotten that option! 🤣

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

For me it would probably depend on the plane however I don't have a yoke as yet so I don't get a choice. When I was flying IRL it was Cessnas so I'll probably get a yoke eventually for that extra bit of "realism" but my fun flying was in a Decathlon so the joystick works there. I've done aeros in a C150 Aerobat and the Deke of course so I have a definite preference for the joystick for that sort of thing.

I've also flown a Tiger Moth and I can't really imagine a yoke in one of those.  😄

Even though I obtained my PPL in a Cessna with a yoke, I do prefer the joystick in the sim. I tend to feel more in tune with how the aircraft is responding with subtle movements of the stick on its axis. 

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

I use whatever the plane I'm flying calls for. I have a stick(Warthog) yoke (CH until the Fulcrum arrives) and three thottles. quadrant (CH) TPM (Saitek) and the Warthog throttle.

Mix 'n' match as appropriate.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

For pc sims I'd say stick, but a game type stick doesn't move or feel at all like a real airplane stick. I miss the longer arm of a real stick, and how it moves. That motion really gives a more precise control feel than a game stick. Yokes are great for really precise instrument flying though, much better than a stick for me. I'd like to try the Warthog stick sometime, that one looks interesting.