Sign in to follow this  
CaptMatto

VFR Flight Planning

Hi All

In the good old days of FSX I used to use Plan G to plan my flights; but now MSFS has been released I'd like to take my VFR flight planning to the next level.

I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos from real pilots and they are using an Ipad/Tablet app to navigate and find flight data whilst flying. E.g. airport plates, frequencies etc. My most recent flight was fantastic where I flew up the west coast of the US. I arrived at my planned landing point to discover it was covered in low level fog!!

What I needed to do was plan for an alternate field, check the weather prior to departure, and have the abilty to find data 'on flight'.

Do any of you have any tips, tricks or apps that I can use?

I think there is Navigraph? But I specifically want something for VFR not jetliner flight.

Any suggestions??

Safe Flying! 🙂

• Like 1

Flying since the early days of 386’s! 😀 Web developer, sailor, nerd. Contributor to the G36 Improvement Project

PC Specs: Intel i9-9900K on a Aorus Z390 // Pro Wifi motherboard // 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 2x16, 3200mhz DDR4 // RTX3070 Gigabyte, Eagle OC 8GB // WD Blue SN550 (2400) NVMe SSD // 2x LG QHD Monitors, (27QN600) 

Discord Username: CaptMatto#7935

Try skyvector.  Its what I use for VFR and IFR GA flights.  You can put in the airports and route and it will display.  I use a second computer to keep it on screen while I fly.  

• Like 1

Sean Green

18 minutes ago, sgreen91 said:

Try skyvector.  Its what I use for VFR and IFR GA flights.  You can put in the airports and route and it will display.  I use a second computer to keep it on screen while I fly.  

Thanks, will have a look! 🙂

Flying since the early days of 386’s! 😀 Web developer, sailor, nerd. Contributor to the G36 Improvement Project

PC Specs: Intel i9-9900K on a Aorus Z390 // Pro Wifi motherboard // 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 2x16, 3200mhz DDR4 // RTX3070 Gigabyte, Eagle OC 8GB // WD Blue SN550 (2400) NVMe SSD // 2x LG QHD Monitors, (27QN600) 

You could also try the incredible powerful freeware tool Little Navmap. Although written for FSX/P3D and X-Plane 11, it works right out of the box with MSFS (just select FSX/P3D as simulator).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Belgarath said:

You could also try the incredible powerful freeware tool Little Navmap. Although written for FSX/P3D and X-Plane 11, it works right out of the box with MSFS (just select FSX/P3D as simulator).

I couldn't get this to work. There was no option for FSX/P3D for me.

Hey Matt

Skyvector is very good except for two things : awkward to use on a tablet and not very well documented outside Europe and North Am.

For the UK only, you may try Skydemon Light which is based on the sectionals and free in the Apple apps store.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

51 minutes ago, Lotharen said:

I couldn't get this to work. There was no option for FSX/P3D for me.

I tried it today and got the same result as you, sadly.

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

I've just been looking at Navigraph; 89.99 a year.

Is this worth it?

Have any of you heard anything about Charts+ with the NavBlue partnership? Not sure I want to jump in when something integrated might be coming?

Skyvector is a great tool. I use it to plan IFR flights but will it will give you nice color VFR maps.  It will show weather advisories as well. I'm kinda cheap so don't like paying for things such as approach plates. I've found that most countries have sites with updated approach plates for their major airports. Not sure if you are using any but it adds much fun when you can accurately pull off an approach using VOR/NDB. ( I like 50's era flying with DC-4s, Connies, and such....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Matt Barraud said:

Is this worth it?

Navigraph is a great tool, but they're mainly for IFR at the moment. They released a video last week saying they will bring VFR options at some point. You can check their forums as well, I posted something and asked when we can expect VFR charts for Europe 🙂

I'm thinking foreflight might be an option for now, but it's costly. I think it makes more sense when you're flying IRL, but it's an option nonetheless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt Barraud said:

Is this worth it?

Have any of you heard anything about Charts+ with the NavBlue partnership? Not sure I want to jump in when something integrated might be coming?

Besides Skydemon, the only app. for mobile to prepare and fly VR plans is, after doing some research for myself, Foreflight which costs 95€ a year. SD is 154 € to buy then 99 € each year. Again a  light version of SD limited to the UK is free.

Navigraph does not have a mobile app to my knowledge and would be, I think, redundant with Navblue. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

33 minutes ago, albar965 said:

You have to install the FSX SP2 SimConnect: https://www.littlenavmap.org/downloads/SimConnect/

Disable AI traffic in the LNM connection dialog to avoid stutters.

Alex

Thanks, is that simconnect final release or only to work until there definitive simconnect?

Will be posible read data to create a database from MSFS?

Thanks