Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Trimming in MFS...

I find that trimming is still good-old force trim model, used for ages in MSFS, also in other platforms like XP until recently, War Thunder, etc..

I would have expected that at least this MODERN FDE could bring us a more detailed modeling of trimming.

Take aileron trim as an example. You add aileron trim to your aircraft ( provided it allows for it ) and, irrespective of being airborne, or standing still on the ground, with or without your engines working, with or without any winds set, you'll be able to see the associated control surfaces move, like if it was "force trim".

I didn't yet have the time to check if MFS also inherited from the previous MS FS versions the limitation of modelling elevator trim like "stabilator-like" airline style elevator trim ? Probably this hasn't changed either ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

26 minutes ago, Ilari Kousa said:

Trimming is very difficult to model, as you don't have a force to trim against.

Very true, and there is an array of possible solutions to model it - just saying I prefer the approach that, for non-force-trim systems makes control surface displacement based on "q" ( dynamic pressure ).

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

1 hour ago, Ilari Kousa said:

Which sim uses this?

Well,

DCS, IL2 Battle of Stalingrad, X-plane 11.50... I don't recall if Aerofly FS 2 does it too.

In any of these 3 sims, there's an option only for neutral point in terms of stick free vs stick fixed approaches to modelling the trimmed forces.

For aircraft that did have trim tabs, in any of these sims you can check that the control surface moves only when subject to duynamic pressure, either from propwash / jetwash, or a combination of this and / or airflow.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig: