Sign in to follow this  
norman_99

How do I view the glide slope in the King Air?

I've manually tuned the ILS. The CDI is in LOC (although backwards) ILS ident is correct, bearing and DME indicating, but I cannot find the glideslope indication anywhere. Is there a G3000 menu function to turn it on?

I couldn't get the autopilot to engage so I didn't bother trying anything IFR with it other than the flight path. This is one heck of a plane to keep at bay. If gives the impression of a tiger ready to leap out of its cage at all moments.

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

I flew an ILS in the KA yesterday on a KSEZ-KLAX flight and didn't have to do anything special to get the GS to appear, but... getting the LOC tuned was a chore because it kept replacing what I entered with zeros. I eventually figured it out from a different screen I think.... Confirm you did choose LOC in the PFD menu? I think you said that's what you did...

Oh, I was using the autopilot for the initial approach, so maybe you need the FD on and to choose approach mode?

Edited by cwburnett

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

Yeah, the CDI was in LOC, but the course was backwards so there might have been something else going on too. I'd changed the loaded approach a number of times, this may have thrown too much at the GPS. I might give it a try again and see what happens.

So neither of you had any issue engaging the AP? I just get a yellow caution light and the AP instantly disengages. Drove me nuts. Clearly I've got something set incorrectly, but what?

i7 8700K @4Ghz, EVGA RTX3080 Ultra, 32GB RAM, Two 2K displays. Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Pedals.

4 minutes ago, Agrajag said:

So neither of you had any issue engaging the AP? I just get a yellow caution light and the AP instantly disengages. Drove me nuts. Clearly I've got something set incorrectly, but what?

No problem here with the KA autopilot. What's the caution message in the MFD?

2 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

No problem here with the KA autopilot. What's the caution message in the MFD?

I never noticed. I'll give a look. Totally new to the KA. First time I've tried it since literally Flight Unlimited in like 1995.

3 hours ago, norman_99 said:

Yeah, the CDI was in LOC, but the course was backwards so there might have been something else going on too. I'd changed the loaded approach a number of times, this may have thrown too much at the GPS. I might give it a try again and see what happens.

Just for fun I made a video of setting up and flying an ILS with the KA. It was windy, forgive the short final deviations! I have to say having the GS and LOC bar green, against a green terrain background is not ideal...

Edited by cwburnett

On 8/22/2020 at 4:09 AM, cwburnett said:

Just for fun I made a video of setting up and flying an ILS with the KA. It was windy, forgive the short final deviations! I have to say having the GS and LOC bar green, against a green terrain background is not ideal.

Thanks for this. I want to be sure I understand the sequence. Is this correct:

1. Fly the route via NAV

2. Set the ILS freq via the Nav 1 radio as you get close and hit the XFER (transfer) button to set it (odd that this works a bit differently than the com radios, but okay). 

3. Once I get close I can either use HDG to get a bit more onto the beam or just switch the CDI over to LOC1 (now that the frequency is in there). I had some issues before where LOC1 wasn't even an option and now I can see why.

4. Once I hit the beam the plane will follow the beam into the runway.

Correct?

Edited by Agrajag

1 minute ago, Agrajag said:

Thanks for this. I want to be sure I understand the sequence. Is this correct:

1. Fly the route via NAV

2. Set the ILS freq via the Nav 1 radio as you get close and his the XFER (transfer) button to set it (odd that this works a bit differently that the com radios, but okay). 

3. Once I get close I can either use HDG to get a bit more onto the beam or just switch the CDI over to LOC1 (now that the frequency is in there). I had some issues before where LOC1 wasn't even an option and now I can see why.

4. Once I hit the beam the plane will follow the beam into the runway.

Correct?

You got it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwburnett said:

You got it.

Thanks again. Just finished my first flight where this worked. What a difference (and a great descent into Singapore). 

A couple things I noticed or am curious about:

Does the APPR have to be enabled for the interception or the GS to work? I hit it just in case.

I also decided to make this my first night flight assuming this would work and found two other strange things happen. The taxi and landing lights never came on. I noticed that the landing lights would flash for a moment as if they'd come on, but then instantly went off again. Are you seeing this issue? I swore they both worked previously, but maybe that was another plane?