Sign in to follow this  
jfri

What is true sky ?

One feature often mentioned for P3D V5 as being a great thing is true sky ? I am not sure I understand what it is ? In what way do we not have this true sky in FSXSE or earlier P3D versions ? Is it only about visuals ? I have heard that this feature is in beta. Is that a problem or does it work as intended ?

This should be fully realized in 5.1.

Eric 

2 hours ago, Martin Byrde said:

A separate program ? I thought it was included in P3D5. Will I have to purchase it separately ?

1 hour ago, jfri said:

A separate program ? I thought it was included in P3D5. Will I have to purchase it separately ?

No, is in P3D.

Eric 

28 minutes ago, Chuck Dreier said:

Is this synonymous with EA?

yes

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

7 hours ago, B777ER said:

This should be fully realized in 5.1.

It better be..

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, pilatuz said:

It better be..

In what way is it not fully realized now ?

1 hour ago, jfri said:

In what way is it not fully realized now ?

There is only a limited set of trueSky features in the P3d5 PDK that are callable by Active Sky. The main tS feature that is lacking is the ability to create geographic regions with specific weather. Right now the weather is the same everywhere that the user can see. This leads to those abrupt weather changes when the weather updates. There is no possibility for interpolation to allow for smooth weather transitions.

There are other features missing from the PDK also. For example, lightning appearance, frequency and duration can be controlled. There is a whole host of tS variables that could be used to generate a greater variety in cloud types and patterns. trueSky is quite robust and eventually LM will take advantage of all its features.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Truesky is great, and I use it on every flight.

However, in addition to what jabloom said, it also needs a fix for the artifact that is seen when low-lying clouds interact with terrain. 

Looking forward to seeing what P3D can do with it, and very glad that we're leaving the era of 2D sprites behind!

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Is Truesky automatically enabled in Prepard3d v5 or do you have to enable it?

Dave

Ah yes, a technical software question I can answer , very rare 🙂

You turn it on by simply selecting the “ enhanced atmospherics” option in settings , under the ‘world” tab I think.

• Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

On 8/22/2020 at 6:26 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

The main tS feature that is lacking is the ability to create geographic regions with specific weather. Right now the weather is the same everywhere that the user can see. This leads to those abrupt weather changes when the weather updates. There is no possibility for interpolation to allow for smooth weather transitions.

Is this still the case? Are smooth weather transitions possible with p3D v5.1 and active sky?

Perchased FSW when released (Which was ridiculed on Avsim before it was released ) was when Truesky was first used in a sim and had the wow factor the sunset was breath-taking, and when they get it right in P3D WOW. 

And if LM Fully implement the product into P3D as it`s not just sky that it affects.

(1) Simul trueSKY GDC 2019 promo video - YouTube

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg