Sign in to follow this  
Dialectic

Why aren’t Catholic Churches being modeled?

4 minutes ago, AllRed said:

In regards to AI learning and for someone who knows nothing about it.. is this a ongoing process that we continually should be seeing improvements or do the developers have to keep tweaking it by hand?

With the implied "learning" you'd assumed quality will improve by the week as its understanding grows.

The way it works is that you have to feed your AI hundred of thousand of churches with the proper answer on how to build it. The AI will than proceed to use what it has learn to build churches using satellite imagery. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

54 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

the AI doesn't know how to draw churches. It needs more training. It has nothing to do with your faith.

But praying might not hurt 😜

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

2 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

The way it works is that you have to feed your AI hundred of thousand of churches with the proper answer on how to build it. The AI will than proceed to use what it has learn to build churches using satellite imagery. 

Very interesting. Excited to see it improve with time

6 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

If you like churches, I recommend XP11 with the "VFR Landmarks" add-on. Churches everywhere, and since the add-on isn't affected by X-Plane's LOD setting, you have unlimited view of all churches up to the horizon. Since they only have four models (small, medium, big, cathedral) which all look Catholic, even churches (temples, mosques ect.) of other confessions are displayed as Catholic churches. You will love it!

I’ll consider it. I’ve never flown civilian sims, only combat ones. MSFS is my first one. So maybe I should try to branch out more

Here's a bucket list for you. Be interesting to see how many are in.

Of course each one would be a modeling task and really, one of the factors is what they look like inside as well, some CofE ones are nice too. Like Notre Dame (was) Truro Cathedral is both, nice on the outside as well as inside.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 minutes ago, Chock said:

Of course each one would be a modeling task and really, one of the factors is what they look like inside as well, some CofE ones are nice too. Like Notre Dame (was) Truro Cathedral is both, nice on the outside as well as inside.

Sweet thanks! It’s a fun and nerdy adventure and my kids dig it too 

21 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

How long does that take? Surely with the wealth of data and imagery we have at our disposal nowadays they should already be learning from a huge database of images?

31 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Agreed, Dominic! Over time some -- but most certainly not all! -- of these will be modeled by interested individuals.

Sorry, but that answer just will not do. Goat Simulator 1.0 had churches!🤣

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 minute ago, AllRed said:

How long does that take? Surely with the wealth of data and imagery we have at our disposal nowadays they should already be learning from a huge database of images?

you forgot that first you have to feed all the answer to the AI. Think about it this way. You tell the AI that 2+2  =4. The next time it will see an equation that looks like it. It will draw 2+2 =4. So training the AI is half feeding all the right data with the right answer. The other half is let the AI use that equation that it learned from you to now try to learn on it's own.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

18 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

If you like churches, I recommend XP11 with the "VFR Landmarks" add-on. Churches everywhere, and since the add-on isn't affected by X-Plane's LOD setting, you have unlimited view of all churches up to the horizon. Since they only have four models (small, medium, big, cathedral) which all look Catholic, even churches (temples, mosques ect.) of other confessions are displayed as Catholic churches. You will love it!

You, XP simmers, are a funny lot. You cannot see a forum of another sim without itching to come to preach your XP gospel. It has been the case with FSK2, FS9, FSX and P3D. You remind me of the clean cut guys who come to my door to explain me that He loves me and the way of  Salvation  After a couple of times, I have a hose ready to welcome them 🤣

• Like 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

7 minutes ago, Chock said:

You can't beat the Italians for churches. We happened on a small-ish church in Rome called st. Andrea delle Fratte quite by chance just a couple of blocks from the Trevi. From outside the main entrance it doesn't look like much...

576px-Basilica_di_Sant'Andrea_delle_Frat

...but inside...wow...

Sant'Andrea delle Fratte, Italy 2019

Beautiful paintings, side altars, carvings and two angels by Bernini. Barely an inch of undecorated surface (not counting the marble). I'm not a believer, but I do like a nice church. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dialectic said:

I went sight-seeing to visit the beautiful churches of my faith, but I’m a little disappointed. The cathedral-esque church in my hometown turned out to just be cruciform shaped grass next to the rectory. I just assumed since my area is a small rural town that the ai messed up. My wife and I then checked out segovia. The beautiful cathedral there is also just cruciform shaped grass. So now I’m wondering if the ai just doesn’t have a cruciform shaped asset to fill those 2d images. But then I went to Paris and I’m pretty certain that Norte dame was just grass as well, and I’m not certain but I don’t think it’s cruciform shaped so it should have been populated. Plus Paris received hands-on attention. Why did they skip notre dame? Perhaps I had the wrong location? I saw that there was a beautiful model of Sacre Coeur on the hill, and the Vatican is modeled in Rome, so it’s not like they are avoiding having churches in the sim. I’m just confused here. What gives.

Same could be posted by the tree huggers amongst us. Look at the palm trees around Los Angeles. AI issue which I'm sure will be sorted in time. Nothing to get your knickers in a knot over.

Eric 

Regarding France : FranceVFR has stated to release POIs packages for France regions like Paris to improve them.

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 hours ago, Dialectic said:

I went sight-seeing to visit the beautiful churches of my faith, but I’m a little disappointed. The cathedral-esque church in my hometown turned out to just be cruciform shaped grass next to the rectory. I just assumed since my area is a small rural town that the ai messed up. My wife and I then checked out segovia. The beautiful cathedral there is also just cruciform shaped grass. So now I’m wondering if the ai just doesn’t have a cruciform shaped asset to fill those 2d images. But then I went to Paris and I’m pretty certain that Norte dame was just grass as well, and I’m not certain but I don’t think it’s cruciform shaped so it should have been populated. Plus Paris received hands-on attention. Why did they skip notre dame? Perhaps I had the wrong location? I saw that there was a beautiful model of Sacre Coeur on the hill, and the Vatican is modeled in Rome, so it’s not like they are avoiding having churches in the sim. I’m just confused here. What gives.

On well known places by myself,..the buildings from the Azure Cloud did not emulate them..but...the footprint of that autogen was right on the money...so I ask..were the churches you know...were they where they should be in the scenery?  In Toronto, St Gabriel's is...and that is where we worship. So...they're there..but just don't look like a religious building in the sim.   XP had actual church buildings...but were never where they were in real life, LOL...one or the other, huh?

Edited by Sesquashtoo

Sad to see the USS Arizona Memorial, the USS Bowfin, and USS Missouri not modeled in Pearl Harbor.  Not churches, per se, but sacred ground to most Americans.

• Like 2