Sign in to follow this  
Guest dths30

AVSIM Reviews - Going downhill?

Well, if you don't like whining, just stop reading the whining, it's as simple as that. And stop whining about the whining.Sorry, just kidding. I think the reviews are good all in all, but there's no harm in trying to improve them. And when so many of us are confused about categories, stars and content, maybe the good people at Avsim will take a look into it? Now that it's out in the open. Avsim deserves respect, and they make a h*** of a difference in this community (in a very positive way), but there's no need to get religious in my opinion.Eagle

Guest enave

I really like Bear's reviews. He always finds stuff in the library that I would have missed.

I appreciate the reviews. I think they're important and valuable. As readers we should understand that the rating system is entirely subjective and shouldn't be thought of as a ranking system. I've read most of the reviews and I see no evidence myself that there was any sort of misleading or deceptive reporting at all.

Guest Stryker

I love how thorough Avsim reviews are. I don't think I've ever read one that I can honestly say appears biased, to say nothing about deceitful.I do however agree with the seemingly popular opinion that the star rating system needs work, if for no other reason than that it makes it difficult to decide on buying an older product. Something that might have had 4.5 star innovation 2 years ago might only earn 3 stars today, even though the products are of equal quality.Some kind of breakdown would be better, like have a 1-5 for graphics, a 1-5 for stability, one for systems accuracy, flight model accuracy, sounds, value, and of course innovation, then average them all for an overall score. Maybe not all of those, but I think something like that would be more informative to the readers.Hopefully everyone understands that any review you read, whether it's for an add-on, a movie, car, etc. is going to be as objective as possible but still is subject to the personal taste of the reviewer. All reviews, everywhere, have to be taken with a grain of salt, and you have to figure in your own personal likes and dislikes.

but its not just the star rating system.Take a look at the actual words. "perfect VC" "no complaints" It is just overthetop marketing by a reviewer. When did avsim become just like a video game magazine? What happened to objective reviews?To not even mention once the fact that the CLS A300 has no overhead panel, no FMC, and basic system functionality, and give it an almost perfect score is just flat out wrong.I enjoy the CLS, but it is no PMDG or LevelD sim, but going by just the review, you would have never noticed

No the problem IMO is that you have reviewers talking about aircraft they have never flown. Don't get me wrong, anyone can form an opinion and even know about systems etc but if you have not flown a 747, A 320, 737 your "review" does not hold too much weight. I think Avsim should request reviews from real pilots who also are avid flight simmers, not on a developement team and desire to give such time for Avsim and the flight sim community. (This is for airline types)[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

So you think you're better than the reviewers in that you know exactly where they're all so wrong all the time, but you can't do better than them?If you're so superior to everyone else, show it by doing something constructive for a change instead of slagging those who do try to put in some honest effort for the community.

Guest Stryker

You're right. I didn't actually read the review (so my previous statement is still true) :(I just looked at the screen shots and said "meh, not for me", but I only have three payware add on planes anyway.This one product does seem to be rated abnormally high for what it is.....ok I read it. It doesn't seem like the plane is much improved over even a default FS9 airliner. I don't know what I would expect for $23, and don't quite understand the reviewer's enthusiasm over the pedestrian features. This review definitely doesn't seem as objective as others here at avsim. It's not enough to get me to question the validity of avsim reviews in general, but still, I don't know what to say.

I believe there is a fourm here on Avsim to alow readers to do their own reviews. Sadly, it is seldom posted in. Funny though how many threads (and people)have cropped up recently that say Avsim reviews are biased. Instead of posting likes & dislikes of a particular add on in the general FS forum, why not post them in the Readers Review Forum? If an individual disagrees with an Avsim review, post a rebuttal of your own there. Jim

Just a constructive note about reviews: Maybe the review system needs to be modified to reflect the fact that products are now more defined by the level of detail and amount of features for the price.I think we may have to start classifying the products a bit here.There's nothing wrong with having reviewers who are not real world pilots review products, but we need to look at these products from a common sense angle now.We need to look at entertainment value, reliability in the sim, graphics, modeling, flying characteristics (note I didn't say actual FDE), value (liveries, load cfgs, setup utils, signage for sceneries, etc.), animations and other moving items, environment, just to name a few.After the basics have been reviewed then the reviewer can get technical if they choose and have the facts to back it up.I think you see where I'm going here. Thanks for listening.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest PHLMercenary

I think there is a perception that the reviews are not of the quality nor consistent with the ratings as they have been in the past. Just looking at the number of posts the past few days complaining of this gives credence to the perception. I recognize its difficult to come up with the reviews and the large amount of preparation involved. But as simmers we look to AVSIM to give us unbiased reviews with a consistent grading scale. I'm not aware of how reviews are presently done but maybe AVSIM needs to look at doing gradings by committe with most of the committee members having experience giving the grading so that newcomers don't cause such large variance in how the grades are administered.

Guest ben_hewitt

EDIT: I can't be bothered arguing, it isnt worth the time or energy.Tom, your an intelligent gentleman - you can surely see that latest review is completely unbalanced and frankly unfair to other superior products who have had lower ratings. It was not my intention you harm AVSIM or accuse them of anything. I was referring to this one particular reviewer really. I enjoy and appreciate the review system and on the whole it is very good, but this review just took the buscuit.By removing my moderator status just seems very petty to be honest - consider me punished:-violin I am truly dissapointed in your reaction.However on reading my original post I can see how it could me misinterpreted, I worded it too stongly and that was not my intention - I apologise.

your user reviews don't get front page news, so why spend the time to write a user review that almost nobody will read?

>So you think you're better than the reviewers in that you>know exactly where they're all so wrong all the time, but you>can't do better than them?>>If you're so superior to everyone else, show it by doing>something constructive for a change instead of slagging those>who do try to put in some honest effort for the community.I guess that's directed at my posts? No I don't think I know EXACTLY where the reviewers are ALL so wrong ALL the time at all. And I surely don't think I am superior to EVERYONE else in this community. But I am mostly certain that I am superior to you in the following senses:I don't talk in my posts in a way that makes others feel I am pointing fingers with anger. I guess that's called manner.I don't exaggerate and twist other people's points and yell at them for things they didn't say. I guess that's called fairness.I don't use generalizations and absolutes especially when commenting on people. I guess that's called maturity.Now I won't try to write some better reviews because I doubt I am capable of it. And I don't think you should try to write some better posts because I doubt you are capable of it either.And just as a note, English is my third language. If it's not your third, I guess you should either take a lesson or take a pill.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI