Sign in to follow this  
Guest dths30

AVSIM Reviews - Going downhill?

Guest ben_hewitt

Avcomware, I totally agree with everything you said in your post - it was just this one review which 'tipped the boat'. I've read it a few times now I can't help feeling that I'm being brainwashed into thinking this product is the best. It's quite funny really, I'm just suprised AVSIM would publish it and advertise it....

Ben is a part of a payware organization, so it might not be the best thing to do as much as he or we might like to.* I think we need to find us a couple of Siskel and Eibert's <-spelling? *

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest ben_hewitt

Yeah that's true, I don't have the time anyway mate!.

Guest mrkgr

Hi to all, I actually looked for this forum topic, since I trully find it weird that a payware aircraft that has no FMC, no overhead and it is fairly basic in terms of what we are used to, gets half a star less than something like PMDG's 744!I respect Avsim and I always read the reviews - especially on products that I am really interested. I think that you are doing a marvellous job that supports the FS communitty like no other. But, if I go by this review, trust the rating system, then CLS' A300-600 is almost as good as the Level-D 767 or the PMDG 744.Trully, how these products even come near?I do agree that you either need to review the star rating system or abort it. Marinos KlourasAthens, Greece

As I see it, the "star" system is a false metric anyway...an attempt to quantify the subjective opinions of any given reviewer into some sort of easy-reading report card to appease the mentally weak among us that can't be bothered to read the subjective commentary, assess the various strengths and weaknesses, and make their own decisions.I'd much rather that we set up some sort of standard framework for reviews...i.e. any sanctioned review would assess (subjectively) each of these themes: the flight dynamics, 2D panel, VC, systems simulation, exterior model, sounds, frame rate performance on a small but semi-standard variety of PC configurations, support infrastructure and history of the developer, and any other miscellaneous issues. And the reviewer could characterize the sum total in his own words: "An amazing must-buy." "Buy this one." "Not worth your time." "Total waste of disk space." "Peter Tishma had a hand in this one, need I say more?" All of these would mean a lot more to me than "4.54665 stars"But the idea that some sort of standard yardstick does or even can exist has, by now, pretty much been demonstrated to be in the realm of the impossible. Heck, even professional review operations like Stereo Review have a hard enough time even with a lab-grade test bench and a book full of metrics to go by.And I, for one, would also greatly appreciate the honest heads up to have a reviewer say "six thumbs down" when a truly awful offering hits the market. What purpose is served by a sugar-coated attempt to highlight the fact that there are a few positive points in an otherwise DOA project? Call the mortician and move on, please.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

>up to have a reviewer say "six thumbs down" when a truly awful>offering hits the market. Bob, I agree. But this is not going to happen. The reviewers like to stay away from trully awful products - first they have limited time and resources so they rather review something better but also they probably want to sound positive in their reviews to avoid controversy. Notice how few products ever get reviewed here - there are simply not enough reviewers. On the other hand if you or someone like you with a great deal of aviation experience managed to write a more hard-hitting review I would love to read it - and Avsim promised before they would publish it.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest davidvoogd

I think the problem is people think everyone views an addon the same way they do. A key thing a reviewer really should do is explain what it is for them that makes a good addon. For example - for me the 2D panel is by far the most important element of any aircraft, if the 2D panel isn't good, I won't bother with it. I really don't care all that much about the model, if it looks nice - great! Just as long as it doesn't look like something born out of FS98 I don't care all that much. The panel, flight dynamics and sound all come ahead of the model for me. Many flightsimmers swear by the VC which I don't, even though I fly GA, I find them a pain in the ####. So if I wrote a review, it would be quite different than if someone else did a review on the same product. The key is for the reviewer to clearly state what is a priority for them.I think the star system should be tossed myself, for one it seems every addon reviewed gets 4 or 5 stars - perhaps they all deserve it, but as a consumer I don't find how many stars an addon gets to be much of an indicator of whether or not this addon would be good for me. Toss the stars, just give the award of excellence to an addon that would get 5 stars to show it goes the extra distance and leave it at that IMO.As for this conspiracy stuff - personally I haven't seen any reviews on Avsim that I would say are commercialized (Haven't read that A300 review though), at least I haven't seen any written by Cap Mason here lol. I think the reason some people may see a review as being just an ad is generally people only write a review about a product they really enjoy, so it will be written quite enthusiastically and may come across as "commercialized".

Personally, I think they should have a multi-star system. i.e. A star rating for the exterior model, a star rating for the panel, a star rating for the flight dynamics, etc. Then, of course, you could keep the main star rating up top, but have it tally'd up by what the rest of the stars are (keeping the original star catagories visible for viewers).And like others said in the thread, the reviews will always have some bias, and not everyone will agree, but it will add a little more insight on the rest of the features of the model.Just my opinion.. - Paul

Guest dths30

The CLS A36R is what one would expect from a decent freeware package (pretty accurate model, sounds, basic panel) sold so that the developers make some cash off their effort.4.5 stars in comparison with reviews of other way superior products is downright ridiculous and it is quite intriguing that the review is still up.I agree that a review only expresses an individual's - that is, the reviewer's - personal opinion but doesn't it have to be somewhat objective too? Not having a go at the reviewer or anything but I felt I had to say this myself - albet a little late.