Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Legacy P3D Bios Settings CAUSE Stutters in MSFS2020

10 minutes ago, B777ER said:

For those with 4 cores, this will help..my 8 core 9900k, I prefer HT off as my CPU will run cooler. I run long flights, don't need the CPU being that hot for hours on end.

...with HT off, you are only getting 4 threads for the sim to use due to DX11 limitations - the OS and other processes will make use of your upper count cores and threads associated with  those cores, but the sim will have 4 less threads to use than it could have with HT on - HT doesn't increase your FPS, but it does keep your one second and millisecond low FPS occurrences from happening as often which results in better "smoothness" - but hey, as with all things computer related, "your mileage may vary..."  😜

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

But one of the ways that JetLine (and others in the know) got P3D to perform at its best was to disable CPU hyperthreading in the bios.

Not necessarily.  But carry on.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

38 minutes ago, flapsdown said:

...with HT off, you are only getting 4 threads for the sim to use due to DX11 limitations - the OS and other processes will make use of your upper count cores and threads associated with  those cores, but the sim will have 4 less threads to use than it could have with HT on - HT doesn't increase your FPS, but it does keep your one second and millisecond low FPS occurrences from happening as often which results in better "smoothness" - but hey, as with all things computer related, "your mileage may vary..."  😜

DX11 does not have thread limitations and processes are not fixed to particular cores unless they have specific affinity assigned.

...from the information I saw, I don't believe it was being said that it was 4 cores in particular for DX11, just a 4 count,  which are being forced to process data serially, i.e. with the GPU talking to only one core at a time, whereas DX12 can have the GPU talk to all the available cores simultaneously - if the information is accurate (and I am no electrical engineer), then there are less threads available to a DX11 game with HT off, even if you have more cores available to provide execution threads - anecdotally, I used  to run FSX with an affinity mask for 4 physical cores on my i7 4790k, just to keep the heat down, and because even with the later patch FSX was still pretty focused on using Core 0 anyway, plus FSX was CPU bound, so there wasn't much to be gained FPS wise by running with HT on, or having a GPU much better than GTX970 - ah the good ole' days - anyway, it's always a bit iffy getting good info, even from places like Tom's Hardware and the like, but I do try to get what appears to be a consensus of what's going on "under the hood" 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flapsdown said:

I disagree with everything you posted. I know the sim uses more than 4 threads (P3D).

Eric 

35 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I disagree with everything you posted. I know the sim uses more than 4 threads (P3D).

I wasn't talking about P3D at all, just DX11 GPU processing from an explanation I saw about how it compared to DX12  (core usage, threads and serial vs parallel communication),  and the effect of HT on that processing, and some speculation as to why Microsoft had Asobo stick with 11 when 12 will have to be used for the upcoming Xbox...

...but I should have been more precise, with HT providing additional virtual cores, "threads" was an after-a-long day misspeak - anecdotally, and from looking at MSI Afterburner reporting on my box, with HT on vs. off, the effect was as I described, with much better 1% low and 0.1% low FPS hits and a "smoother", less stuttering experience - but it is continually frustrating to see how wildly different the performance can be for everybody...

Edited by flapsdown

I didn't find the exact information I had watched before, but this covers some aspects of the issue as well - again, "your mileage may very"...

Sorry to hear that man, even now this tweaking is more of an art than a science - perhaps the reportedly upcoming patch next week (or so), may help you out...

Edited by flapsdown

8 hours ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

OK, but can you give me a keystroke path there?

Thanks

As airlinejets says, you can enter the BIOS on startup, before the start of Windows. More modern motherboards have little software within Windows (mostly called UEFI) which gives you the ability to directly boot into the BIOS on your next reboot from within Windows.

But...your question tells me you don't have the slightest idea what a BIOS is (no offence). I would recommend not going there, you can do more harm then good if you mess up, although there's always a return to default option but if some settings where set by the one who build your computer, these would be lost (when things really turn south one can remove the BIOS battery to reset to default, like in case the computer crashes already before it can even start Windows).

It also tells me you have not build your own computer, in that case, hyperthreading is 99 out of 100 already turned on since it's on by default.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

For me it’s still bad with HT on but WAY less bad. The performance really sucks close to the ground for me and it doesn’t appear to be affected by lowering of the settings. Once I’m at at least 1,500 AGL it smoothens out and becomes more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, westman said:

HT is working good in P3D , the easy way was to disable HT. 

If you have a 8core cpu and enable HT you get 16 treads it not give you the double performance 

it give approx 25% boost 

If you mean 25% boost in P3D, that is very old myth. Oh the good old times of BP=0 and Bojote...

However, HT is nowdays fine with P3D (v4+).

And yes, need to be careful if you have your CPU overclocked. I know I have to pull back, but not due to temp (custom watercooling) - no amount of vcore (I believe I tried as high as 1.6V) will run 4.8ghz with HT on here. 4.6 is fine.

Edited by SimonC

9 hours ago, tommy10101 said:

Already have HT on and I’m still getting major stutters. Tried everything

waiting for a patch from ms...

I do not think a patch will help you as the game works sutter-free for the majority, I would try to flash Bios and reinstall windows and start from scratch with new drivers as the error is probably in your computer.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

34 minutes ago, SimonC said:

If you mean 25% boost in P3D, that is very old myth. Oh the good old times of BP=0 and Bojote...

i mean CPU raw power gain if enable HT ,  HT off 4 treads if you enable HT you get 25% gain not 100% for the extra treads