Sign in to follow this  
Rucki

Boeing 747-8 Autopilot not working ?

I just tried this plane for the first time and couldnt get the plane to climb to Fl310.
I tried it with FLC mode and with VS mode but nothing worked. Somehow the plane climbed very slowly to FL190 with something like vs +700 to +1000 (constantly changing idk why) and then leveled out. I tried also Auto throttle on and manual throttle with no success. I had no problems with the Zibo 737 in Xplane and also no problems with the Airbus in MSFS2020. Is the failuire on my site or is the Autopilot just not working in the 747 in MSFS2020 ?

Edited by Rucki
  • Like 1

Same.... I can't even get this thing to level up or keep hold of the speed, I have more than 5 years experience with PMDG products so I know how a 747 works..something is definitely not right, I had no probs with the A320 neo and did several successful flights.

Also suffering here.  Glad its not just me.

I have tried every combination of percussive maintenance whilst issuing profane words of encouragement but nothing is working.

The autopilot on the plane is broken, along with a myriad of other issues with flight model, sound, etc.

Testers have complained since alpha but nothing was done by Asobo. 

Edited by maniamcool

The 747 is currently the worst out of all the tubeliners. There's a post on the tips and tricks subforum that talks about some of the known bugs and workarounds.

It is for sure a weird autopilot, but after spending some time with the big bird... Load the flight plan (no direct GPS for me) set the ceiling altitude and take off manually (F/D on). When airborne click on A/T ARM and Use the FLCH-VS, When you gained a reasonable altitude switch ON LNAV VNAV and press the CMD button to engage the AP. Keep in mind there are neither T/C nor TD shown therefore all the descent and approach must be done through the FMC. A PITA to say the least, but you can fly from A to B if you loaded and activated a valid flight plan including SIDs and STARS.

Actually it is not the autopilot but a bad  FMC

Edited by aero943

ASUS, Intel® Core™ i7-7700K, CPU 4.8GHz, NVIDIA GTX 1080Ti 11GB, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD, ASUS 43" PG43UQ Monitor G-SYNC, LG UltraGear 27" GN850 G-SYNC

I think there might be a problem with fuel as well. I've only tried one flight in the 748 (EDDM - RKSI), loaded with 100% fuel, but it ran out of gas just east of Austria (in China,,,). Will test some more...

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

I’m doing a flight right now with the Dreamliner from HECA to OMDB and auto pilot seems to be working fine i’m at 39000 ft now and on the VNAV path, I just can’t seem to switch between HDG and TRK modes which sucks, they are inoperable. 

So I guess it’s the 747 which is bugged. 

Thank you guys for the tips on the 747, will do a flight later on once i’m done with the 787 flight i’m on and report back.

Edited by XeroHertZ

Someone might do a fix for the 747 like that guy who is doing the A320 fix.

Matthew S

2 hours ago, N7470 said:

Yes, there are many bugs in the 747-8 autopilot.  I posted workarounds for some of them here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/582152-workarounds-for-747-8-autopilot-bugs/

Good  starting point, but as I said it before it is not the autopilot’s total fault but the bad programmed FMC by MSFS or whoever.

Edited by aero943

ASUS, Intel® Core™ i7-7700K, CPU 4.8GHz, NVIDIA GTX 1080Ti 11GB, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD, ASUS 43" PG43UQ Monitor G-SYNC, LG UltraGear 27" GN850 G-SYNC

1 minute ago, aero943 said:

Good  starting point, but as I said it before it is not the autopilot’s total fault but the bad programmed FMC.

yes....V2 speeds above 200 knots is definitely a badly programmed FMC 

I've flown the 747 on auto without trouble during the flight, it was during landing it didn't do well. 

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

2 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I've flown the 747 on auto without trouble during the flight, it was during landing it didn't do well. 

Did you program a STAR in the FMC for the selected RWY? Did you try a manual or an RNAV / ILS autoland? I say it again it is not the AP but the FMC. If the FMC does not provide the proper info to AP then it seems the AP is to be blamed. Wrong....

Edited by aero943
  • Like 1