Sign in to follow this  
BrettT

MSFS 2020 - Let me know when it has VR support

On 10/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, KevyKevTPA said:

Sounds like you might have bought the wrong sim.  Or at least bought it too soon.  But I'm sure the news gets even worse, while I'm fairly certain choppers are coming, I don't think they're going to be free.  Sorry.  But, hey, I could be wrong about that!

I haven’t bought the sim yet, and I won’t until there’s at least VR support for steam vr and a decent helo. I’ll probably be waiting another year. 

Keith Sandford.

Same here, can’t buy it until there’s VR.  I would prefer helicopters, but VR support is a must. 

On 11/4/2020 at 8:04 PM, slip-stream said:

I haven’t bought the sim yet, and I won’t until there’s at least VR support for steam vr

Thats like waiting for a Vulkan game to get DX12 support ... very unlikely that will happen

Even Steam is moving out from SteamVR:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/250820/view/2396425843528787269

Valve is excited to announce our current and expanding support for OpenXR, the new industry-wide open standard for VR & AR.

Edited by cercata

He has a point if MS go ahead with only an initial  WMR release for FS2020,  no point getting it for other headsets until it supports openxr/steamvr, something that will work with a non WMR headset.

Edited by JasonHarris

27 minutes ago, JasonHarris said:

no point getting it for other headsets until it supports openxr/steamvr, something that will work with a non WMR headset.

It is already supporting OpenXR and implemented actually only with OpenXR.

The implementation seems to check the OpenXR driver name though, which is "artificially" limiting FS2020 to running on WMR OpenXR implementation for now. They are most likely also binding to 2 MSFT OpenXR extensions and this could also be just meant to restricting it to WMR for now.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

It's great that it will support all headsets,   I thought that they initially were only supporting WMR which as you say, they seem to be at this point.

So if it came out today I would be holding out as well until the index was also able to run it.  Although I am waiting for my G2.

On 11/9/2020 at 4:16 PM, cercata said:

Thats like waiting for a Vulkan game to get DX12 support ... very unlikely that will happen

Even Steam is moving out from SteamVR:

OpenXR is just an implementation to SteamVR, Valve is not moving out fo SteamVR 😂

37 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

OpenXR is just an implementation to SteamVR, Valve is not moving out fo SteamVR 😂

If we wanna speak properly, we have to diferenciate SteamVR from OpenVR. When people ask SteamVR support normally they are asking for OpenVR support.

OpenVR is the VR API from Valve, and in the past was the only API for using SteamVR HMDs. Now they are adopting the new standard, OpenXR.

So yes, MSFS will support SteamVR via OpenXR, once valve has finished it. But people are asking asobo to support OpenVR, what IMHO would be a total waste of time.

If you wanna press someone for supporting Index, VIVE, Pimax on MSFS, you should press Valve, it's the logical path to go.

1 minute ago, cercata said:

If you wanna press someone for supporting Index, VIVE, Pimax on MSFS, you should press Valve, it's the logical path to go.

Valve was allways open to support ANY Headset on SteamVR, unlike Faceboog who has sought to keep it exclusive to the company’s own Oculus platform which only supports Rift headsets.

4 minutes ago, Nedo68 said:

Valve was allways open to support ANY Headset on SteamVR, unlike Faceboog who has sought to keep it exclusive to the company’s own Oculus platform which only supports Rift headsets.

The same way that Microsoft is happy to support all cards under Direct X ... but if there is an open standard like Vulkan is better.

Now we have an standard, OpenXR, since one year ago, so developpers only need to support one API, it's good for us.