Sign in to follow this  
Sky_Dancer

Where is MSFS 2020 stored on the drive?

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Microsoft Store / My library / MSFS / Launch

Thank you sir. Finally going.

• Like 1

I use the freeware Ultra File Search to find the FS files. LIke for the shorter tree mod, I had to search for *vegetation* to find the file I needed to swap out. The Microsoft search in file explorer takes all day instead of few seconds.

https://www.ultrafilesearch.com/

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

So how does one uninstall to start over, there being no way of uninstalling via Programs and Features?? ..... this whole shooting match has to be some kind of cosmic joke i.e. Microsoft lay on the hype with a trowel,  promote it to the nines then send purchasers literally disappearing up their own word not allowed, in their efforts to install the another word not allowed thing ..... why so yet another word not allowed complicated ????

22 minutes ago, AKStirling said:

So how does one uninstall to start over, there being no way of uninstalling via Programs and Features??

There is an option to uninstall from the Start menu. Right click on Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Al

I gave up on FS2020 and went back to fsx, upgraded my system and have now returned. I came across a addon, a Ansett Australia A320 and decided to try it out.

After downloading and installation it did not show up in the A320neo list so i went looking for it and found it in the community directory which, according to everything i have read, is where it should be. Only trouble is, all the default A320 aircraft are not in the default community directory, they are in the simobjects directory and another directory called "official". So i moved it (the Ansett A320) into the simobjects directory, still did not show up. So, my questions are, why are there two different directories for the aircraft? why cant they all be in one directory? why has all the default A320 aircraft have a extension of "state" with a config? how do i get my new A320 into a directory where it will show up and, will i ever come back to FS2020?

nb P3Dv5 is far superior

12 minutes ago, bills said:

I gave up on FS2020 and went back to fsx, upgraded my system and have now returned. I came across a addon, a Ansett Australia A320 and decided to try it out.

After downloading and installation it did not show up in the A320neo list so i went looking for it and found it in the community directory which, according to everything i have read, is where it should be. Only trouble is, all the default A320 aircraft are not in the default community directory, they are in the simobjects directory and another directory called "official". So i moved it (the Ansett A320) into the simobjects directory, still did not show up. So, my questions are, why are there two different directories for the aircraft? why cant they all be in one directory? why has all the default A320 aircraft have a extension of "state" with a config? how do i get my new A320 into a directory where it will show up and, will i ever come back to FS2020?

nb P3Dv5 is far superior

lol another one who doesnt one to learn something new.

well have fun there on your own.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:19 AM, ThrottleUp said:

I have read all the replies and I really want to ask - what is the reasoning behind MS adopting this kind of file structure?

Why cant the entire sim reside neatly in one folder under (for example) C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator ?

MS and its scattergun approach buyring stuff all over the place. Is there a reason?? Or is it done to kind of discourage users from poking around?

Some of the confusion in this topic is because there are three different versions, each with its own file structure.

In the case of the Microsoft Store version it is perfectly possible to have all but a few kb in a folder of your choice on a drive of your choice. The only folder that remains on the C drive is C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe which in fact contains links with a size of 0 kb and one folder with a size of 425 kb. 

1 hour ago, bills said:

Community folder is the correct place.

However it sounds like you downloaded a livery rather than a complete aircraft.

Liveries come up as an option you click on once you select the aircraft they apply to. They do not show up as separate aircraft.

1 hour ago, bills said:

how do i get my new A320 into a directory where it will show up

Could it be that you downloaded the FBW version of the A320 Neo, in that case it won't show up in the stock version.

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

1 hour ago, wim123 said:

I would say your new to flight sims  with a comment like that

26 minutes ago, airservices said:

I would say your new to flight sims  with a comment like that

oh my some of the peeps here, i bet i have more flying hours than you.

its so obvious, some ppl desperately cling to their old sims, nothing wrong if you want to keep playing those, but its old tech now.

10 minutes ago, wim123 said:

oh my some of the peeps here, i bet i have more flying hours than you.

its so obvious, some ppl desperately cling to their old sims, nothing wrong if you want to keep playing those, but its old tech now.

More hours than me I flew 49 years in real life and retired with over 15000 hours that was commercial flying

Edited by airservices

3 hours ago, bills said:

I came across a addon, a Ansett Australia A320 and decided to try it out.

You must learn how to unpack and install liveries.

1 Download > https://flightsim.to/file/2432/ansett-australia-a320-neo

2 Unpack where you want

3 After that copy folder named a320-Ansett and paste into community folder

E5IXv5n.png

4 Run msfs and select Profile > My hangar > Change Aircraft or press F11

5 Click Airliners and click Airbus A320 Neo

6 Click Go back and click liveries or press F12

7 Click Ansett and fly safe captain.

qcRZhTh.png

Edited by TENPATROL

2 hours ago, airservices said:

More hours than me I flew 49 years in real life and retired with over 15000 hours that was commercial flying

thats quite a bit, but eh so what? what has that to do with the issue?

my statement was and still is, some ppl try msfs, they meet one issue and run away,,especially some from xp or p3d...well

thats what i call odd behaviour, but also, who cares.

it is so obvious this is the sim to go now, and yes lotsa stuff needs to be adressed.

happy flying

19 hours ago, wim123 said:

thank you for your help.....not.