Sign in to follow this  
mazex

Feeling bad for Laminar and others

4 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Go ahead and keep using P3D and XP if that’s your thing. It’s clear that there are things that MSFS still doesn’t do quite right, and I get it. I can’t see myself going back to P3D, personally, but I can understand it.

Don't assume it's a binary choice for everyone participating in this discussion. Many of us will be keeping one foot in the previous sim for what it offers (for me it's helicopters), and the other foot in MSFS while experimenting with what it has to offer.

Nobody is forcing us to choose one or the other. We can enjoy what each has to offer, until there's a clear reason to make one the exclusive choice. 

• Like 3

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 minute ago, Paraffin said:

Nobody is forcing us to choose one or the other. We can enjoy what each has to offer, until there's a clear reason to make one the exclusive choice. 

Sure. But that doesn’t change whether the other sims have any future beyond what’s already there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

Sorry, it wasn't Loon Creek I was thinking of, but rather Salmon Idaho area.

Specifically, the scenery around Lemhi County Airport looks good (KSMN). 

gotcha, thanks!  Later this morning, I'm planning to head out to the Grand Canyon.  I'll check out KSMN right after.  🙂

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

36 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

New weather engine and rendering is already confirmed by Austin himself in a recent post about the new xavion 3d matrix which is the data x-plane is gonna render in "next-generation weather" for "next generation x-plane".

Austin also confirmed a massive ATC update about 10 years ago and that's still to materialise.

Edited by vortex681
  • Upvote 3

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Look what the x-plane.org apparently are pulling off: 🤦‍♂️

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

49 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

I guess it's because I spent a lot of time self-correcting my own ortho for that area that I don't appreciate it in MSFS as much.

Here is a comparison if I'm allowed to post. 

FS 2020

Xplane 11

For me this is what I always wanted, buildings and trees ontop of photo real scenery. Plus the lightning really brings it all together. I played with annotator tool for FSX some back in the day. Laying all those buildings and trees would have taken who knows how many hours for the St George area. 😲

• Like 2

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

double post*

Edited by reignman40

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

20 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Go ahead and keep using P3D and XP if that’s your thing. It’s clear that there are things that MSFS still doesn’t do quite right, and I get it. I can’t see myself going back to P3D, personally, but I can understand it.

I desperately want to make some addons for MSFS (at the very least for myself to fly around in), but the SDK is an absolute mess. We still have to wait for the smartest guys in the room to decipher this mess for us. As far as Xplane 11, much easier to make stuff in at the moment.

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

4 minutes ago, tweekz said:

LOL, 15 hours? I only have 120mbps (15MBs) and took me 3 hours.

Gotta squeeze out some more sales before MSFS gets the updates and add-ons needed to deal its final death blow! 🤣

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tweekz said:

For those who aren't aware, X-Plane.org isn't an official Laminar portal, it's a 3rd party retail site and forum. That's a tacky ad, but I'm not surprised given who runs that place. 

I buy aircraft models there because it's the only outlet for some of them, and I visit some of the developer sub-sites again because it's the only place they're active. But there's a reason I spend most of my time on Avsim instead of those forums. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

4 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

For me this is what I always wanted, buildings and trees ontop of photo real scenery. Plus the lightning really brings it all together. I played with annotator tool for FSX some back in the day. Laying all those buildings and trees would have taken who knows how many hours for the St George area. 😲

Well I had trees, no problem. As far as buildings, the OSM data was hit or miss in Xplane 11, depending where you were flying. St George had about 70% coverage on the OSM data for buildings in Xplane 11, so yah some advantage in MSFS for that.

Still though the color is pretty bad for some areas in this Bing imagery and kind of low res to be honest, the resolution is only hidden in some places better than others (mainly where there are lots of trees or fields that get the overlay). The desert areas need a lot of work in MSFS.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

12 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Austin also confirmed a massive ATC update about 10 years ago and that's still to materialise.

He talked about the way he would like his atc system to be in the future.

This, on the other hand is working tech:

https://www.x-plane.com/2020/07/new-xavion-weather-maps/

And following ben supnik in other interviews, weather rendering is already on the works.

Edited by mtaxp

Ridiculous post, that is all I can say.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

5 hours ago, Slides said:

Do they? Asobo is very specialized in graphics rendering, graphics art techniques, and other gaming development. 

But Asobo don't build military hardware... LM will be doing fine as long as there is a human race... :dry:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

4 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

For those who aren't aware, X-Plane.org isn't an official Laminar portal, it's a 3rd party retail site and forum. That's a tacky ad, but I'm not surprised given who runs that place. 

I buy aircraft models there because it's the only outlet for some of them, and I visit some of the developer sub-sites again because it's the only place they're active. But there's a reason I spend most of my time on Avsim instead of those forums. 

Oh my, you speak out of my soul...

If you could PM me. I'd be interested about that first paragraph. 😉

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved