Sign in to follow this  
mazex

Feeling bad for Laminar and others

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Here is a preview of MSFS 2050

That's a photo of the El Yunque rainforest in Puerto Rico taken in 2050.

4 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

The sins of the ortho are partially hidden by the nice houses and insane number of trees placed everywhere.

True. Yeah, but like the real world isn't cluttered with both of them. That's why the underlying terrain textures in MSFS don't kill the immersion. For sunny weather VFR flying, nothing beats MSFS, even in its present insect-infested state. Could someone let me know when XP gets 3D trees and 3D clouds and I'll get back to you.

13 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

True. Yeah, but like the real world isn't cluttered with both of them. That's why the underlying terrain textures in MSFS don't kill the immersion. For sunny weather VFR flying, nothing beats MSFS, even in its present insect-infested state. Could someone let me know when XP gets 3D trees and 3D clouds and I'll get back to you.

Sunny weather illegally-low flying, MSFS wins for sure. That’t where the overlay looks best. 

For more realistic heights, P3D with quality ortho often looks better. And in terms of immersion: no VR = low immersion for me, flatscreen is a massive step backwards.

P3D also has 3D clouds, not as varied at MSFS but from low to mid levels they often look more realistic.

MSFS is pretty, and i’m flying it the most this week, but i;m still building irtho for P3D as we speak. Definitely still room for both sims on the roster.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I do have a totally different view on this. Maybe I should worry about my perception, am I getting old?

Installation of MSFS went flawless, game runs well, all on ultra, computer gets hot but no stutters let alone ctds.

But - I tried several aircraft in MSFS, checked out places all over the world. My home airport is missing entirely, bummer. In CYTZ I crashed into a van on the runway on landing. No tower freq in CYTZ , only intercom on IFR. Control frequencies are missing for many, bigger airports - or they're just not used.Found more missing airports (not like new ones being built in the past 5 years, they have been in FSX), Found some airstrips which do not exist in RL, one of them with a 250 ft runway (in Poland). Looked around in NZ, Milford Sound: the mountains look rounded like someone used them as a popsicle. Happens elsewhere, too. AP unreliable everywhere, regurlarly on suicide mission. Real whether does not load on occasion. So far this is not a simulator but google earth with outdated imagery but a beautiful weather engine and GTA-style-aircraft. Yes, there could be potential, but it's going to take at least another year of bug fixing before I can take this seriously. Flight simulation should be more than just admiring views, clouds an reflections. Enjoy your nice clouds guys, I'd rather fly elsewhere.. When there's an update, I will have another look.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, johncott said:

Just got an ad from X-Plane.org.  The opening line from the ad: "Why spend 15 hours to download a VFR sim? Flight Simmers still want planes that fly correctly and with proper systems. Do not worry, we got you covered..."

John Cottreau

The extent of Austin Meyer's arrogance is boundless. He will think that his is the only "legitimate" horse in the race... right up until the point where he crosses the finish line realizing that someone else's horse left his in the dust furlongs back ;). He & XP enthusiasts can poo-poo & sneer at MSFS all they want... XP's days are numbered. FS98's & FS2000's days became numbered some time after FS9 arrived in 2004, not after XP arrived in 2000. And FS9's days became numbered after FSX arrived in 2006, even though XP had been around for 6 years at that point. FSX's days became numbered some time after P3D arrived in 2011, again, not after XP arrived more than a decade earlier. It was the arrival of P3D, not the arrival of XP years earlier, that began to hammer the final nails into FSX's coffin. Sure, there will always be tiny niche-within-niche markets for XP diehards. Such is always the case when new technology arrives; it was the case with photographers when digital photography arrived and with audiophiles when digital recording arrived, etc. How much film with sprockets is presently sold and how many vinyl albums are presently sold (yes, I am aware that vinyl is making a "comeback" of sorts, but, again, only to a miniscule niche market... my point exactly)? Answer: virtually none. The handwriting is on the wall for XP (& for P3D too).

Is MSFS perfect? Of course not, but neither were FSX, XP & P3D when they arrived on the scene respectively.

XP (and P3D also) will go the way of slide-rules, amazing tools which once & otherwise helped send humans to the Moon, but which now reside in museums only.

Edited by RustyFlyer
  • Like 1

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

2 minutes ago, RustyFlyer said:

The extent of Austin Meyer's arrogance is boundless.

Just to be clear, the org is not Austin’s site.

• Upvote 4

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Nobody's going anywhere IMO. If you look at Navagraphs surveys, their are stills a large number using FSX, and even FS2004 and Xplane10 even with P3D and XP11.

Edited by Adrian123

1 minute ago, scotchegg said:

Perhaps not, but XP is his baby ;;)

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

r/flightsim - X-Plane.org using FS2020 issues to try to sell addons

Now that, is some serious b*******. 🤣

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, Slides said:

I think the market has pretty much decided what they like and it's not Austin's vision. 

And it's clear from all of these comments that even for hardcore serious flight simmers, visual fidelity is important.

to be completely fair, if you asked me 5 or even 2 years ago what I thought about ortho or photoreal, I would have told you I hated it.  flat, no 3d objects, takes up all your HDD space for a small geographical area, ortho made by different sources don't match, used a lot of memory, no seasons, yada yada.  So up until Tuesday, I was definitely in the ORBX global landclass "plausible world" camp.  But credit where due, MSFS has solved the vast majority of those issues with how they've done it.  there are small issues with the ortho in different areas, and there isn't seasons yet.  But I'm on board, opinions changing when presented with new evidence...  Austin is a harder nut to crack than me though.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RustyFlyer said:

The extent of Austin Meyer's arrogance is boundless. He will think that his is the only "legitimate" horse in the race... right up until the point where he crosses the finish line realizing that someone else's horse left his in the dust furlongs back ;).

XP (and P3D also) will go the way of slide-rules, amazing tools which once & otherwise helped send humans to the Moon, but which now reside in museums only.

People like variety in this stuff. I do not think Mr. Meyer is any different than your typical engineer, very smart guy and at times may come off kind of arrogant, but I don't know the guy personally so I don't jump to those kind of conclusions.

XP 11 engine has great potential just like MSFS does, and visuals matter, but the race is far from over. 

• Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Just now, Chock said:

r/flightsim - X-Plane.org using FS2020 issues to try to sell addons

Now that, is some serious b*******. 🤣

Looks like a .......... Campaign rally. 🙂

8 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

11 minutes ago, RustyFlyer said:

The extent of Austin Meyer's arrogance is boundless. .

from where I sit, both statements are correct  😃

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

But credit where due, MSFS has solved the vast majority of those issues with how they've done it.  there are small issues with the ortho in different areas, and there isn't seasons yet.  But I'm on board, opinions changing when presented with new evidence...  Austin is a harder nut to crack than me though.  

There is much much higher quality Ortho out there than what is currently in MSFS. I do not think MSFS has solved the problem at all, there are mismatched and off-colored tiles all over the map if you fly around enough. There is an almost NEON green giant tile right near KPDX Portland. The SLC International Airport is on a completely different color tile than the rest of the area. There are some black lines in some areas, some really weird mesh distortions, and I haven't even been flying that far yet, I've mostly done short trips.

If you've ever flown over 10cm to 30cm Native Ortho, it's incredibly amazing and way beyond even anything Orbx has done, but yes it uses an impossible amount of HD space for sure, but even 60cm can be incredibly good if processed correctly and downscaled correctly from a higher source.

Edited by SceneryFX

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Just now, SceneryFX said:

People like variety in this stuff. I do not think Mr. Meyer is any different than your typical engineer, very smart guy and at times may come off kind of arrogant, but I don't know the guy personally so I don't jump to those kind of conclusions.

XP 11 engine has great potential just like MSFS does, and visuals matter, but the race is far from over. 

Agree. Though I recall a few years ago "Airports and or detail airports are not important" and "Weather and seasons aren't important". Turned me off to Xplane. Competition is always good for the consumer.

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 1