Sign in to follow this  
oemlegoem

Structuring the Avsim Forum for MSFS (2020)

Presently in the main forums, MSFS (2020) is lumped together with the old Microsoft Flight Simulators. In order to get a better overview, I would like to see MSFS (2020) separate from the old Microsoft Flight Simulators. The main simulator forums would then be:

MSFS (2020)
Microsoft Flight Simulators (pre MSFS 2020)
Prepar3D
X-Plane
IPACS Aerofly

Within MSFS (2020), you could then have subforums, such as scenery, airports, hardware settings for MSFS, etc etc

What are opinions on that proposal?

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

13 minutes ago, oemlegoem said:

Within MSFS (2020), you could then have subforums, such as scenery, airports, hardware settings for MSFS, etc etc

The last thing I would want to see is sub-forums. Just becomes too difficult as there are so many cross-over topics.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Michael M

System: AMD 7800X3D II Asus X670E Hero MB II 32GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 II RTX4090 II 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro II  EKWB  CR360 AIO II Dell Alienware - AW3821DW 3840 X 1600 G-Sync Ultimate

This website needs more sub forums like a hole in the head.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Opinion? It's a really bad idea. As Chock said...we don't need no more stinkin' sub-forums.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I vaguely remember we discussed this before? Back then there was someone (wasn't it you Chock?) who said something like 'we need a sub forum to discuss which sub forums we need'. I needed oxygen to catch my breath from laughing.

Serious now ... a structure that makes it easier to navigate is always a good thing. The way things are now the number of threads is exploding and it's getting hard to find something back. The official MFS forum has created a bunch of chapters and paragraphs that work reasonably well to separate 'bug reports' from 'screenshots'.

All we have here is 'tips and tricks', and even then tips on how to avoid stuttering are spread over 5 different threads in the main section ... probably because someone in need couldn't find the older threads and just started a new one. It also asks for some discipline ... some people could make more use of the 'search' function.

Wait 30 minutes and also this thread will be 'lost' somewhere on page 7 ... 

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

Thankfully plenty of others here are of the same feeling as me. I'd hate to see more subforums creep back in.

Fsx has loads and it's a pain. Xplane had loads and I remember arguing for them to be consolidated. There was opposition from some quarters saying that it would make it too hard to find anything but I pointed out that the prepar3d forum was way busier and that didn't need them.

Each time I read avsim I browse each forum for a few pages until I run out of new posts. I think this is easier than having to look in half a dozen sub forums of each sim. Previously we ended up with so many different branches for niche areas it was ludicrous and some were hardly used.

I think things will stabilise here once it quietens down. MSFS forum is wild at the moment but most of the noise about FPS, my systems runs it, my system doesn't, this flight model is amazing, this flight model is rubbush, this sucks, this is the best ever, will all slow down and more normal posts will become the majority again. Things won't get lost as quickly and end up on page 3 inside of 40 minutes.

Things like the tricks and tips can be edited and consolidated by mods then because the number of posts in there will slow down once the generally accepted best methods have been posted in there.

Tldr: no to subforums!

• Upvote 1

Every sub forum will be about control sensitivity.

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

33 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

Wait 30 minutes and also this thread will be 'lost' somewhere on page 7 ... 

This is why we don't need loads of sub forums to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Any stupid topics rapidly drop down the list and are gone, whereas the popular important stuff rises to the top, so it kind of moderates itself when there is 'one forum to rule them all'

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

11 minutes ago, Chock said:

This is why we don't need loads of sub forums to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Any stupid topics rapidly drop down the list and are gone, whereas the popular important stuff rises to the top, so it kind of moderates itself when there is 'one forum to rule them all'

Unfortunately this is not always true, particularly in a highly frequented forum. I don't like sub forums too much, but maybe the MSFS forum should be divided into two or three sections.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Any stupid topics rapidly drop down the list and are gone, whereas the popular important stuff rises to the top, so it kind of moderates itself when there is 'one forum to rule them all'

Agreed ... yet a subject that is hot now will eventually fade away too, while it may contain valuable info for someone who tunes in later, or to someone who remembers it was discussed and who likes to find something back. It's much easier to find in one page of 'Tips & Tricks' than in 128 pages 'General'.

The division they made at MSF is helpful: Screenshots, World Discovery, Help Guides, Bugs & Issues, Peripherals, Wish List, Home Cockpit Builders, SDK ... and more.

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

3 hours ago, oemlegoem said:

Presently in the main forums, MSFS (2020) is lumped together with the old Microsoft Flight Simulators. In order to get a better overview, I would like to see MSFS (2020) separate from the old Microsoft Flight Simulators. The main simulator forums would then be:

MSFS (2020)
Microsoft Flight Simulators (pre MSFS 2020)
Prepar3D
X-Plane
IPACS Aerofly

I really do not see any benefit in separating MSFS20 out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

Unfortunately this is not always true, particularly in a highly frequented forum. I don't like sub forums too much, but maybe the MSFS forum should be divided into two or three sections.

OK, maybe.

1. those that are only here to badmouth it and make crazy accusations (most do not own it)

2. those that want to tell me they will be continuing with P3D or X-Plane.

3. Those that want to express there pleasure of not purchasing it. 

• Like 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Seriously I would vote for just two subforums:

General discussion 

Trouble shooting.

• Like 2

I think tags are far more efficient than a forest of sub-forums. If users remember to use the tags it will make things much easier.

Does the Search window need a "Search by tag" function though?