Sign in to follow this  
kapitan

For Some Time - No More Glass Cockpits Please

3 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Same here, happy that MSFS is leaving the old geezer world of steam gauges behind. Give me a Malibu Meridian with the Garmin autoland. 

That Autoland is just amazing. Some extremely clever people who made that happen, mind blowing. 

Its just a matter of time before a fully automated GA flight from engine start-stop. Get in the plane, close the door ,  say "Take me to Phoenix" & then sit back and fire up Netflix on the tablet.

Autoland is the first step towards that and its coming whether we like it or not.

• Like 1

I always liked these intermediate, early glass cockpits, with PFD & HSI on screens, but still enough traditional gauges, knobs and buttons around that so it didn't feel too sci-fi.

It's clear why Asobo did it this way, though. It saves on overall development cost, and allows newcomers to learn the Garmin layout on one plane and easily switch to the other ones.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Looking around like in your room can be somewhat improved with a Track IR5 system.  Makes a world of difference is the looking around and zooming in in these sim cockpits.  Highly recommended.

• Upvote 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

2 hours ago, kapitan said:

You know why they did it?

From a cockpit design perspective, Glass Cockpits are easier to make, just throw two big MFDs and the rest of design work is very little. So when I see a payware with Glass...I know (few hours went into it to make the cockpit)

Also in analogues the overall cabin frames require research and high photography

Except it's the complete opposite.

• Like 4

I like them Both. Different strokes for different planes. All I want is working avionics, autopilots and even "semi" correct numbers for fuel, consumption, weight, fuel capacity, etc. Add a GTN750 and I'm a happy camper.

Almost forgot. Doors, working doors and an avatar to do the walkaround.

x3iqn577w23mos46g.jpg

sybd3gz9edqt6a96g.jpg

5wmvolj63ub7kpk6g.jpg

Edited by RamonB
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Same here, happy that MSFS is leaving the old geezer world of steam gauges behind. Give me a Malibu Meridian with the Garmin autoland. 

Thats why nearly all the defaults are free bundled with the game.  Or cheap when released as payware. The analogues costs$$$.

And I bet you for every dollar sold in a Glass plane, 10 dollars are cashed by analogue paywares. Its where the addon market is (HSI is still considered analogue)

The third parties will come, the youtubers and videos also (why there is few counts of views from Glass cockpit youtube videos of sim channels?)

the answer!

Edited by kapitan

I think my favourite cockpit in FSX/P3D was the Pilatus PC-12. Nice mix of screens and gauges, looks very clean. Modern, but not like a TV shop.

CAR-585b.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kapitan said:

First because thats how i flown all my life.

Shows your age. Modern GA aircraft all have Glass Avionics now. They are much more reliable and easier to read than the old Steam Gauges.

So "Old Dog"... time to learn some new tricks. 😉

3 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Depends upon which aircraft you want to buy :wink:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

19 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Shows your age. Modern GA aircraft all have Glass Avionics now. They are much more reliable and easier to read than the old Steam Gauges.

you seemed to have never left your home town.

Get some culture and travel boy

Outside USA 98% of GA are analogue

And even for those flying today in Glass, usually they have more hours in analogue.

Full Glass pilots are either teens, very young or owner of experimental kind of small aircraft (or richies hahah)

Most people who buy a plane around the world opt for a used. And they come analogue

Edited by kapitan
  • Like 1

As stated by others, my objection to the glass cockpits isn't the glass, it's just that the glass is modeled so poorly. I hope someone can come along and release drop in replacements for all the garmin units in all the default planes that work much more like the real thing.

Edited by kiwikat
  • Like 4

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

If the glass worked I'd love them. These displays in the new sim are about as useless as tits on a bull

amen, someone said it and I agree, try look up airport information and put in a full flight plan with a G1000, it's a real pain.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but for MS who's going to make about a $billion out of this to not have included the GTN's even if it's updated every several months is a massive disappointment and letdown.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I just wish Glass set ups in real life where cheaper. My first and only plane was a Diamond DA20 . I bought mine new at the time with no glass and about 2 1/2 weeks after taking delivery i took the plane in for an upgrade and oh boyyy $$$$$ . 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

5 minutes ago, rtodepart said:

I just wish Glass set ups in real life where cheaper. My first and only plane was a Diamond DA20 . I bought mine new at the time with no glass and about 2 1/2 weeks after taking delivery i took the plane in for an upgrade and oh boyyy $$$$$ . 

I got my Private in one of those, good times. Nice little plane, the small Rotax 912 sounded like a turbine from inside. This was back in 1995, back then it was something really new and I got stares and admiring glances wherever I landed. Im glad I studied the manual well because of the questions people asked about its weight, cruise speed, endurance etc!

8 minutes ago, kiwikat said:

As stated by others, my objection to the glass cockpits isn't the glass, it's just that the glass is modeled so poorly. I hope someone can come along and release drop in replacements for all the garmin units in all the default planes that work much more like the real thing.

agree. I am not against Glass in real life, its the new standard and future. What I claim is that its not fun to fly a Glass cockpit in the sim

• Like 1