Sign in to follow this  
kapitan

For Some Time - No More Glass Cockpits Please

I just had a Garmin G3X installed in my plane (Vans RV9A). With this panel you have the option of displaying tape read outs or gauge read outs. Gotta say it is great with just a touch of the screen to access and adjust a multitude of read outs. The sim is not the same experience having to use a mouse on a simulated glass panel.

My panel showing the tape layout on the G3X

PS You can see a higher res image and actually read the panel if you go  directly to the Instagram account “The Flight Level”

Edited by Doering
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

Very nice @Doering! Did you build your RV? I’d love to take on that as a project one of these days. 

Chris

4 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Very nice @Doering! Did you build your RV? I’d love to take on that as a project one of these days. 

Thanks!

Purchased the RV built in Kelowna, BC and flew the plane across the Rocky Mountains to home base in Brantford, ON.

Edited by Doering
  • Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

9 hours ago, reignman40 said:

I've always felt this way also. I always choose the 172 with steam gauges over the glass. But hey in the FS world I guess we are all stinking rich, you don't have to settle for the 152. 🤣

The C152 is fine, but it couldn't have much less performance and still be an airplane.

2 hours ago, kevinc5 said:

The C152 is fine, but it couldn't have much less performance and still be an airplane.

Couple days ago I flew the 152 at my home airport (in the sim) when I it was 105f/41c. That was fun for that little engine. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

So I have been flying the Bonanza a little bit trying to learn the glass cockpit. How do I set an altitude for the AP? Is this possible like in the airliners? I only see altitude hold and also the nose up/down buttons. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

7 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

So I have been flying the Bonanza a little bit trying to learn the glass cockpit. How do I set an altitude for the AP? Is this possible like in the airliners? I only see altitude hold and also the nose up/down buttons. 

At the bottom left of the ND you'll see the knobs for setting the altitude, the big outer knob for 1000s and the smaller inner knob for 100s.

AMD 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 42" LG C3 OLED 4K TV/Monitor

13 minutes ago, erickrueger said:

At the bottom left of the ND you'll see the knobs for setting the altitude, the big outer knob for 1000s and the smaller inner knob for 100s.

I will have to try again, I could set the altitude doing just that but not activate it. If that makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

I will have to try again, I could set the altitude doing just that but not activate it. If that makes sense. 

Sorry, I should have know you'd have seen the knob for selecting the altitude. The next step would be selecting either VS or FLC so that it is in a mode that will capture the altitude you just set. Without engaging one of those modes it will fly right through your altitude.

• Like 1

I've been away from simming for a while but recently got back into it for a number of different reasons, not the least of which was MFS 2020. I, too, got sucked into having to buy the deluxe version because I wanted the C172 with the 6-pack that I was so familiar with. I took my first flying lesson on my 16th birthday in 1982 in a Cherokee 140 so you know where I'm coming from.

The last flying club I was active in had a wonderful mix of aircraft that really allowed me to experience the best of both worlds. We had a Diamond DA40 (G1000), DA20 (G500), C172 (G1000) and a C172 with a 6-pack. When I was getting checked out there was no question in my mind which airplane I was going to start with. The old 172 was like that proverbial comfortable pair of slippers.

I eventually got checked out in all 4 aircraft and came to appreciate them all for different reasons. As much as I came to appreciate the G1000 planes, I found myself falling into the same trap that so many other pilots new to that avionics suite fall into; I started futzing with it so much it quickly became a distraction. Now, that's not the fault of the avionics, of course, but for so many of us that spent so many years behind round dials, the transition to glass can be an interesting one, to say the least.

As far as MFS goes, I have been spending more time in the round-dialed aircraft. That's mostly because the glass cockpit planes just don't give me the same sense of immersion right now. I know that eventually they will and I will enjoy flying them too when the 3rd-party versions start showing up.

• Like 1

Don't worry OP, I have a feeling we'll be seeing lots and lots of steam gauge cockpit aircraft with this sim in the future.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

20 hours ago, reignman40 said:

I prefer analog because that is what I learned on in FS, and real world. But I think it's equally important to have both. 

Me too...besides, stop by your local airport and see how many glass cockpit 152/172's you can find.

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

17 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

If the glass worked I'd love them. These displays in the new sim are about as useless as tits on a bull

I think Ryan should get some sort of an award for this post. This is, by far, the best expression I've seen regarding the frustration many of us feel about a lot of things wrong with this "sim".

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

18 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

If the glass worked I'd love them. These displays in the new sim are about as useless as tits on a bull

What are you talking about?