Sign in to follow this  
aktorsyl

Plane veering to the right during cruise

2 hours ago, Pevenhull said:

Rudder trim.

depends on how authentic you want to be in flying the aircraft, but yes that is also an option

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

8 hours ago, aktorsyl said:

Need some advice from GA flyers here. I have very limited experience in GA planes, but am switching it to my main FS activity now with FS2020. I know why the plane veers during the takeoff roll, and how to counter it with rudder - no problem there. But during stable cruise it also veers to the right (all the planes I've flown do that). I have to constantly apply left aileron to keep it straight. Just curious why that's happening? I don't see rudder trim in the Bonanza or 152,so not sure if it can be trimmed out?

I have noticed it one after turn off autopilot in Baron. I think its a bug some kind of runway trim

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I have noticed it one after turn off autopilot in Baron. I think its a bug some kind of runway trim

Thanks for the tip.  Turned off TAKE-OFF AUTO-RUDDER. No longer drifting to the right

Intel i7 10700K (OC 5.0) / 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 / EVGA NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra 8GB RAM / SSDs / 660watt PSU / LG27GL83A-B  1440P IPS G-Sync Compatible / Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX / Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo

I've had the exact same issue since I installed.  Used 3 different controllers (I'm doing this for fun, so no flight yokes/pedals here, just an xbox controller type).  I turned off all realism like "prop torque", and it rolls/lists right no matter what, even in a "lear jet".  I do think either a default setting is wrong, or there is a bonafide bug.

I've the same issue with the 152.  If you're using a keyboard it can be overcome by pressing the left Ctrl key, while holding down (Numb) 4 or 6.

Edited by Stealthystevie

On Tuesday, I did a flight with live weather in the US, taking off from Los Angeles. The plane kept turning to the left. Last night, I did a live weather flight from London City to Biggin Hill. Same thing, same direction of tilt, and this time I just couldn't get the trim stable; I kept climbing and descending, with ATC telling me off for not keeping to the designated altitude.

I haven't been playing with live weather before this, and had better control, able to keep the plane level horizontally and trimmed vertically. So I put it down to weather/wind simulation. I'll keep flying and testing in different conditions.

Take a look to this short video. I have erratic veering to the right, to the left.. and not only with my saitek pro52, also with a thrustmaster... All climate effects are off. 

21 minutes ago, Agustin Castro said:

Take a look to this short video. I have erratic veering to the right, to the left.. and not only with my saitek pro52, also with a thrustmaster... All climate effects are off. 

It looks like you are getting turbulence from the airflow over the hills on either side.  It's more severe than what I've encountered in light aircraft in hilly terrain.  If you take off from an airport in flat terrain it shouldn't happen.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

12 minutes ago, LHookins said:

It looks like you are getting turbulence from the airflow over the hills on either side.  It's more severe than what I've encountered in light aircraft in hilly terrain.  If you take off from an airport in flat terrain it shouldn't happen.

Hook

Hi!, the same occurs in other places or locations. I have also tried in others airport. There is not a problem of the concrete site, climate effects, or controller. Because of that, I am ... I do not know that I can do. I have the same problem with other planes also but not with all, for example, not for cessna 152 (not with the planes thath reach slow speeds) or airbus a320. 

Edited by Agustin Castro
  • Like 1

May be you dont have that problem with airplanes that only have a center fuel tank!? I have the same in a turbo prop and I see the left tank is some % under the right. I do trim then and its fine. Also is your trim at 0 or was it may be auto trimmed on departure? Then you have to reset it.

Also make sure each USB device is pluged into an individual USB port. No extention cable.

Edited by Gabster

Thank you for explaining how to straighten this out.  I was thinking there had to be a way to trim it out, but wasn't sure how.  I believe in FSX I was able to disable the left rotor pull with a checkbox or some setting in the game.  With this new version that doesn't appear to be the case.  I don't remember where the setting was.  As a matter of fact, it may have set it automatically based on my hardware which the new simulator doesn't recognize.  I had to manually set up my joystick.

I've had this too, one time it was because a reading was being taking from an xbox controller (which i use for drone cam), I moved one of the thumb sticks and that sorted it. BUT I've had this a couple of times since, and have no idea why - setup in sig.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

All of my small GA aircraft fly reasonably straight and level. They all will randomly drift off one way or the other eventually at cruise power and speed, but never pull constantly one way. If you are using a joystick, I would dial in a very small dead zone in all 3 axis. Hope that helps.

Which plane(s) are you flying?  I've noticed this with planes that (excuse my probably poor use of technical terms) crossfeed fuel - I love flying the G36, but I have to flip between Left and Right fuel tanks to keep it relatively balanced, otherwise it starts to veer if it has a bunch of weight in one wing and not the other.

i7-10700k (OC at 5.05MHz) | EVGA 3090 FTW3 (24GB) | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 32GB RAM (Effective 3200MHz) | 1TB SSD M2 (Samsung EVO) | Corsair 850W Gold P/S | MSI MAG CoreLiquid 240R | MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | Logitech Yoke and Throttle Quad | Logitech Saitek Rudders | Logitech Switch Panel | Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 HOTAS | HyperX Cloud Flight S Headset | 43” LG 43UN700B 4k monitor | HP Reverb G2 (VR)

Selling EVGA 2080 Super Ultra XC (8GB) - used for 3.5 months - PM me for info if interested!

My uncle taught me "how to fly" on MSFS95, got MSFS98 for a birthday, and I have been hooked ever since