Sign in to follow this  
FlyingInACessna

Asobo, we NEED a way to MODIFY existing airports

I was frustrated to find that taxiway names are not accurate to their real world counterparts despite them being so in every other major sim release in the last many years. 

But I was somewhat okay with that considering we were given access to the SDK.

Upon trying to utilize the SDK, I realized that if you open the scenery editor, all default airport sceneries disappear entirely. I cannot find a way to modify what already exists. That’s a BUMMER for people who want to simply edit sign placement or taxiway names for their airports. There’s currently no easy way to go about doing it. We need to be able to open what exists, click on a taxiway, change the name, and drag signs around where we’d like them to be. 

Looks like easy VATSIM flying is out the window for a little while (and not just because vPilot and SimConnect apps cause horrible stutters and FPS issues).

• Like 3

Good inaccurate taxiway names and missing airports!!. How can this happen when its a brand new simulator, clearly not very good, Thank god I haven't purchased.it.

Sounds like these sort of things need sorting ASAP in my view.

Jason

• Like 1

Jason Thompson

1 minute ago, jay907uk said:

Good inaccurate taxiway names and missing airports!!. How can this happen when its a brand new simulator, clearly not very good, Thank god I haven't purchased.it.

Sounds like these sort of things need sorting ASAP in my view.

Jason

I still think a purchase is worth it, but it's really disappointing that these features are missing out of the box. It's an incredible simulator otherwise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jay907uk said:

Good inaccurate taxiway names and missing airports!! How can this happen when its a brand new simulator, clearly not very good, Thank god I haven't purchased.it.

It is outrageous! How could they?!?
I also noticed some trees were missing!

Geez man, take a chill pill.
Each and every piece of software has bugs/faults. Most of them will be solved in time. Deal with it.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Check out KPIE and KUCA...

KPIE is a mess with runways that haven’t existed in years and KUCA has been closed for years....

so yes once we can edit MSFS the better..

In the meantime I’m enjoying GA flying around sightseeing.

If you release a product then you should have at least all the airports especially the main ones that I've seen are missing.

That's like buying a car without the radio and other vital bits, you wouldn't buy it full stop.

• Like 1

Jason Thompson

There are no parking spots on my local airfield (EPWS), just the runways (just two, while there are six in reality). As the only way I know for loading the flight cold & dark (engine off) is to start at the parking spot instead of the runway, I hoped to be able to add some parking spots on my own, if you can't edit the default airports this won't be possible :(

• Upvote 1

Just now, Egbert Drenth said:

Each and every piece of software has bugs/faults. Most of them will be solved in time. Deal with it.

Obviously you can't take constructive criticism !!

Missing airports off isn't a bug, Stuttgart and Istanbul are main ones......I don't need to deal with it because I've not purchased it and I'm not really bothered, I was just passing my thoughts and comments, which you can't handle or accept.

• Like 3

Jason Thompson

Adding to this the data is way out of date. Santa Monica KSMO is 5000ft. It was chopped in half years ago to 3500ft.

• Like 2

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Also many large airports are missing ramp lights completely 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Asobo is working on a solution, altho I still think it should have dropped with the release because there's now way they didn't know they couldn't get everything right and that people would want to fix things themselves.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/help-on-how-to-modify-default-airports.448430/#post-851356

Edited by Gaiiden
  • Like 2

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

I'm sure someone will create a tool that will help us fix this stuff, and I bet we'll see something sooner than later. I bet the folks behind Airport Desigm Editor are working on it right now.

I don't have any inside knowledge about it, and since I'm on vacation, I haven't purchased the sim yet, but from the number of developers who have already signed on to the new sim, I think there is enough backwards compatibility at least get started on these things. 

Don't stress out. If you are new to this ecosystem, we have a ton of awesome people who are dedicated to making these sims better and who have been working on this stuff for decades.

Edited by duckbilled

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

21 minutes ago, Egbert Drenth said:

Totally incorrect taxiways are a big deal, particularly if you fly on VATSIM.  This isn't just a few missing trees or a simple bug.  It effectively renders online flying largely unusable without a proper way to identify taxiways.  Not sure why you don't see that

Mark Javornik

38 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

I was frustrated to find that taxiway names are not accurate to their real world counterparts despite them being so in every other major sim release in the last many years. 

But I was somewhat okay with that considering we were given access to the SDK.

Upon trying to utilize the SDK, I realized that if you open the scenery editor, all default airport sceneries disappear entirely. I cannot find a way to modify what already exists. That’s a BUMMER for people who want to simply edit sign placement or taxiway names for their airports. There’s currently no easy way to go about doing it. We need to be able to open what exists, click on a taxiway, change the name, and drag signs around where we’d like them to be. 

Looks like easy VATSIM flying is out the window for a little while (and not just because vPilot and SimConnect apps cause horrible stutters and FPS issues).

I'm totally with you! The abilty to update a pre-existing airport (a bit like the AFCAD editor) would be very helpful indeed; and could lead to a community project.

• Like 2

Flying since the early days of 386’s! 😀 Web developer, sailor, nerd. Contributor to the G36 Improvement Project

PC Specs: Intel i9-9900K on a Aorus Z390 // Pro Wifi motherboard // 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 2x16, 3200mhz DDR4 // RTX3070 Gigabyte, Eagle OC 8GB // WD Blue SN550 (2400) NVMe SSD // 2x LG QHD Monitors, (27QN600) 

Discord Username: CaptMatto#7935

i hope they dont remove closed airports...   (cuz FSE and a few other practical imho reasons) 

I agree with not having to start from scratch when scenery  editing being a good idea.

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA]